S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Bose Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Audio

Anyone with the Bose audio system attempt any upgrades yet? Specifically wondering about the subwoofer and if attempting to add a new sub or replace the existing sub would help with the sound. I feel like the sound of the system is a bit of a letdown.

Thanks in advance for any input / advice!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a good thread on the front page of the A6 forum.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4thrills
I feel like the sound of the system is a bit of a letdown.
You know what they say, "no highs? zero lows? Gotta be Bose!"
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Changing components in a Bose system is not easy. Bose uses some proprietary designs which effectively lock you to their gear. For example, their speakers use odd impedance loads which can't always be driven by other aftermarket amplifiers.

If you want to add a subwoofer then you most likely can do this, but you will need to add a separate amplifier to drive that sub. You will also need a line output converter which can take the signal from the Bose amp and convert it to line level for your add-on amplifer.

Your other option is to remove all of the Bose equipment and replace it with aftermarket. That's what I would do.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I put a sub in a custom enclosure in the area on the right side of the trunk. I have the speaker-level out piped to an alpine digital amp that is mounted next to the spare. I took out the existing woofer and dynamatted...waaay better. total cost in the neighborhood of $1200.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I feel like the sound of the system is a bit of a letdown.
Join the "club". :-)

I do like it, in fact I would say it sounds great, if you're parked and want to enjoy the DSP providing distortion free surround sound, all the way up to max volume. But underway it doesn't perform like a high end system capable of delivering that "oomph" we feel it should have. I think the "pilot" controlling the audio needs new lessons (unfortunately, turning it off doesn't have much of an impact either).

Audio Pilot Noise Compensation Technology
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...audiopilot.jsp
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiantEli
I put a sub in a custom enclosure in the area on the right side of the trunk. I have the speaker-level out piped to an alpine digital amp that is mounted next to the spare. I took out the existing woofer and dynamatted...waaay better. total cost in the neighborhood of $1200.
Would you mind posting a couple of pictures of your install?

Also, is the existing subwoofer the one on the rear deck of the car? Did you just disconnect and stop using it, or did you have to do something to terminate the connection?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Changing components in a Bose system is not easy. Bose uses some proprietary designs which effectively lock you to their gear. For example, their speakers use odd impedance loads which can't always be driven by other aftermarket amplifiers.

If you want to add a subwoofer then you most likely can do this, but you will need to add a separate amplifier to drive that sub. You will also need a line output converter which can take the signal from the Bose amp and convert it to line level for your add-on amplifer.

Your other option is to remove all of the Bose equipment and replace it with aftermarket. That's what I would do.
Thanks. Sounds like several people have successfully added the subwoofer as an additional component per what you suggested without running into too many issues. I am all too familiar with how they "lock you in" with the Bose system. I'm not up for a full removal and reinstall at this point.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks. Sounds like several people have successfully added the subwoofer as an additional component per what you suggested without running into too many issues. I am all too familiar with how they "lock you in" with the Bose system. I'm not up for a full removal and reinstall at this point.
Yes, they've added a subwoofer AND an amplifier.

What I was saying was you can't just swap the subwoofer out and keep the factory amp running the new one... or add a new amp to run the existing speakers.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

its fairly easy to install an aftermarket sub/amp, i did it to my old b8 s4. you just need a sub, amp, amp wire installation kit and high/lo converter. if your doing the install yourself you will need a volt meter to make your life easier. i didnt put a sub in the s6 as i need the trunk space for my kids crap. but i too found the bose in the s6 a little disapointing. the bose in my 12' cayenne S is night and day difference than the audi's. i would be satisfied if it sounded like the cayennes bose system.

Quick Reply: Bose Audio