S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Buying advice - 2016 S6

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice - 2016 S6

I am new to the forum but having been shopping for an S6 for some time. I have found a 2016 that matches what I am looking for in NJ (I live in CT so have not seen the car yet in person): sepang blue, cold weather package, black interior with sport seats. I have two primary concerns with the car and could use the expertise of the group:

First, the Carfax is clean but does indicate that the water pump, radiator and radiator fan were replaced about six months ago. Despite the fact that the car has been serviced at the same dealer for its entire life, they are unable (or unwilling) to provide any additional information on what caused the repair other than “the RO said it was recommended work.” My initial reaction is front end collision but the dealer couldn’t make it a CPO then, correct? It is not currently a CPO, but the salesman has indicated the car is eligible and certifying the car is part of the deal we have negotiated.

Second, and related, the car is at Jack Daniels Upper Saddle River. Does anyone have any experience with them? They have so far been decent to work with but their reaction to the question on the Carfax has me a bit nervous.

Am I being over cautious or should I walk away?
Old 04-01-2018, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Buy mine! Just kidding. ISH.

I can tell you from first hand experience not all vehicles in accidents and repaired show up that way. I had a 2013 Infiniti G37S coupe and was rear ended to the tune of 18k. The day after I got it back I took it and traded it. The dealer that I used I had bought 6 cars from in 3 years - and he said he would make it not show. And it never did. I randomly check where all my old vehicles are (just a hobby) as I still have the VINs and it still does not show. No idea how they do it...but it can be done. CarFax is not 100%.

The dealer not telling you is also shady. Vehicle histories are easily pulled. Unless it was repaired but not those areas and they did the replacement AFTER the collision repair. It could be also those items just went bad.

Not sure what to tell you other than dig a little deeper. I've had 65 cars and only about 5 of the I bought slightly used. 2 had issues not disclosed by the selling dealer.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

If they didn't want to tell you, it was obviously accident damage IMO. Otherwise, it'd had been covered under warranty, and dealer wouldn't have any issue telling you that. With a shady/dishonest dealer like that one, I'd absolutely walk away, but it's your call. Also keep in mind such repair definitely caused a lot more damage to the body, front aluminum structure, and possibly suspension. Since there was no mention of that, not worth the risk IMO. Find another. And whichever you choose, get an extensive PPI done by a disinterested 3rd party. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Some years ago, I had a Lexus that was stolen in Atlanta. The police attempted to pull over the thief because he was driving erratically, and he proceeded to lead them on a high speed chase through midtown. He eventually crashed into a parking garage and ran away on foot.

The car was towed to the police impound yard where I picked it up the next day.

$10,000 worth of damages to the car. I had them repaired at a reputable body shop.

Fast forward about 6 years when I sold that car. I sold the car to a friend so he knew the history. (He was with me in Altanta the day it was stolen, actually)
We ran a CarFax just for the fun of it.

CarFax came back 100% clean. No accidents reported. Not even the police theft report came up.

Needless to say, I don't trust CarFax reports.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also add that a CPO does NOT guarantee an accident-free history either.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Some years ago, I had a Lexus that was stolen in Atlanta. The police attempted to pull over the thief because he was driving erratically, and he proceeded to lead them on a high speed chase through midtown. He eventually crashed into a parking garage and ran away on foot.

The car was towed to the police impound yard where I picked it up the next day.

$10,000 worth of damages to the car. I had them repaired at a reputable body shop.

Fast forward about 6 years when I sold that car. I sold the car to a friend so he knew the history. (He was with me in Altanta the day it was stolen, actually)
We ran a CarFax just for the fun of it.

CarFax came back 100% clean. No accidents reported. Not even the police theft report came up.

Needless to say, I don't trust CarFax reports.
Subterfuse,
Interesting, wow I have to admit I have a larger question and point to ask... How long ago was this theft? I've always been kind paranoid about having my vehicle stolen. When I was a kid my old man had like 3 cars stolen from him in downtown Boston. So as I came of age and got my own cars I have always invested in some sort of anti-theft systems. I got a little complaisant , and stopped worrying about having my car jacked... however when I got my S6 2.5 years ago I was concerned if I parked it downtown or something for a night out I would not find it when I got back to my car. I've been doing a lot of research and it appears auto theft is on the rise as the thieves are getting technologically advanced with smart keys. (They copy your smart key signal and simply hop in the car and drive away.) I'm just curious as to how they stole your car, and if you had any sort of anti-theft on the vehicle, etc. I'm thinking of having another Ravelco installed in my next S6 as it makes the vehicle basically impossible to steal.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks all for confirming I am not just being paranoid on this. I will likely still check the car out the next time I have a day off but will absolutely get an independent PPI before proceeding.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EmoryHockey22
I am new to the forum but having been shopping for an S6 for some time. I have found a 2016 that matches what I am looking for in NJ (I live in CT so have not seen the car yet in person): sepang blue, cold weather package, black interior with sport seats. I have two primary concerns with the car and could use the expertise of the group:

First, the Carfax is clean but does indicate that the water pump, radiator and radiator fan were replaced about six months ago. Despite the fact that the car has been serviced at the same dealer for its entire life, they are unable (or unwilling) to provide any additional information on what caused the repair other than “the RO said it was recommended work.” My initial reaction is front end collision but the dealer couldn’t make it a CPO then, correct? It is not currently a CPO, but the salesman has indicated the car is eligible and certifying the car is part of the deal we have negotiated.

Second, and related, the car is at Jack Daniels Upper Saddle River. Does anyone have any experience with them? They have so far been decent to work with but their reaction to the question on the Carfax has me a bit nervous.

Am I being over cautious or should I walk away?
2 quick notes:
- I had a terrible experience with JD - it was on the sales side though.
- I'm in the area and am selling my '16 S6 if you're interested. I pm-ed you.