S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Color of plastic on grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSSSSSIX
Ta da!
Nice!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Let me know if you are able to get a price / part number on this.
My dealer wants $1137.00 for the black optics grille. LOL, not going to happen. I can have mine custom painted and still have boatloads of extra money for mods. No part number given.

Even if I were to use my resale account I only get 20% off and that's still $900.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SSSSSSIX
Ta da!
I tried blacking out my filler panel last night using this http://shadowlinetrim.com/

I tried for an hour, but kept ending up with wrinkles. Do you have any tips?

I tried installing with excess width and trimming after. I found it really hard to get the tape flush near the grill bars.

I also tried trimming to the exact width before hand. This seemed to be going good for about half of one panel, then it started leaving a small gap that I was unable to correct.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mirin S6

I tried installing with excess width and trimming after. I found it really hard to get the tape flush near the grill bars.
I spray a little soapy water on the surface before placing the vinyl. It lets you move the vinyl around to position it. Work the air and water out using a small, pliable body filler spreader. You can find them in the body repair section of the parts stores. A old credit card might work too.

I also tried trimming to the exact width before hand. This seemed to be going good for about half of one panel, then it started leaving a small gap that I was unable to correct.
You probably will have to make relief cuts in the excess material as you place the vinyl to get it to lie flat. You are definitely going to need extra width at the ends where the grill has the angle. You can get the vinyl to stretch a little if you use a hair dryer to soften it.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mirin S6
I tried blacking out my filler panel last night using this http://shadowlinetrim.com/

It stretches pretty easy and will help you keep the wrinkles out. I tried cutting it to size first and it didn't work very well. I then ended up leaving it the full 3" in size and going all along the top and then took a razor knife to cut it to size and to tuck it.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Do you still have the license plate holder?

If you still have your S6 license plate holder I might interested in it. Have a great day!