S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant

Has anyone had to refill the coolant yet? The car let me know the coolant level was low. I went to the dealer and they told me that our V8s "will use some coolant". The manual states something different. There are no puddles in my garage or my usual parking spot in the parking garage. There are no deposits on the engine. What do you think? Thank you for the input.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Coolant is not a consumable. If it's using any, there's a problem somewhere.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you have the thermostat replaced at the dealer for the recommended updates? My dealer didn't top off my car after, and I was low too.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you've had work done on the cooling system of the car (or a hose had to be disconnected to get at another system), it could be that there was air in the system that is burping out as you heat cycle the engine. Once all the air is out, top up the coolant and it shouldn't drop anymore.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 AM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

A month after having my S6 I noticed the coolant level was down, midway between 'full' and 'low'. Since the dealer is a long way from home I just kept an eye on it. It never changed. Then in April, with my 5000 mile service, the Rep simply said it was never properly filled when they preped the car. They topped it off and today it's still full.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
If you've had work done on the cooling system of the car (or a hose had to be disconnected to get at another system), it could be that there was air in the system that is burping out as you heat cycle the engine. Once all the air is out, top up the coolant and it shouldn't drop anymore.
The only time the car has been to the dealer was for my 5000 mile service. No issues since then. I am going to keep an eye on the levels. If they drop the service department is going to have to figure out what is going on. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjmhood1
Has anyone had to refill the coolant yet? The car let me know the coolant level was low. I went to the dealer and they told me that our V8s "will use some coolant". The manual states something different. There are no puddles in my garage or my usual parking spot in the parking garage. There are no deposits on the engine. What do you think? Thank you for the input.
The coolant level dropped again. I took the car in for the fuel line recall and I had them look for the coolant leak. The O-ring at the coolant return pipe of the right turbocharger was leaking. Not much to read about but if this happens to someone else I hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ongoing Coolant problems

Originally Posted by jjmhood1
The coolant level dropped again. I took the car in for the fuel line recall and I had them look for the coolant leak. The O-ring at the coolant return pipe of the right turbocharger was leaking. Not much to read about but if this happens to someone else I hope this helps.
I took delivery of my 2013 S6 in September 2012.

After 2 months, it went in for the first service and they kept the car for 5 days because of a coolant leak and an oil leak! Ugh!!!

Things were OK until they performed the Quality Package update 2 weeks ago which included.

TSB 19J1 - 4.0 I Quality Package (NVLW)

- Criteria 01 and 02:
Software Version Management (SVM) update for the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
S6/S7 - Old software version is 0005. New software version 0006

- Criteria 03 and 04:
Replace coolant thermostat and quick release coupling.

Criteria 05:
Install protective grille over radiator

Criteria 06:
Replace ACF hose.

Criteria 07:
Replace oil filler neck

Then 3 days ago, the low coolant light came on. I parked the car and they towed to the dealer, keeping it for 3 days. Apparently one of the hoses on the right had a hole. I had lost all my coolant in a matter of minutes and was lucky I could pull over/stop.

I am keeping an eye on this... seems others are having problems with the design.

Rob