S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...

I almost traded my 16 S6 for an 18 S6 - but didn't want to swap all the mods. With only 15k on it I decided to keep it and to wrap it instead.

Went medium matte grey. Gloss black roof and all chrome trim (except for a few parts on the stock S6 front grill).

Picked it up last night.

More pics later...
Attached Thumbnails Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7285.jpeg   Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7289.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Curious on how much it set you back? Thinking about doing the same for the S6.

Last edited by GlacierS5; 01-06-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I don't get it!

didnt it have a perfectly good paint job??
Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

It wasn't cheap - but good work never is. And its guaranteed for 5 years. It was 4200 total with some additions...front grill, etc.

Last edited by parkstr8; 04-08-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome looking. Like to see more!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Car looking good man. Hey, are those wraps considered PPF? I know they're thinner than clearbra, but don't know how thinner. But obviously much harder to install, since clear PPF doesn't have to be into all seams and stuff. I'd like to wrap my car 100%, but don't want to pay a fortune. Will call for a quote tomorrow.The other thing is nobody good local, so that complicates things. I used to have a guy coming here, but did a very crappy job last time so won't use it again. Took my Porsche to Austin, but also got a crappy job, plus beat the car to hell on the way there, due to lots of construction. Oh well. Hopefully where you live is nowhere as bad as here; roads full of crap. My cars develop paint damage in 1K miles that cars further north do in 30K. Need to move away from this area. Soon. He he.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll get some pics this weekend. My **** retentiveness got to me...

DON'T judge the following:

I went back to my car wrap place to see about doing the entire inside of doors. It was my mistake originally as when they said deep wrap I thought everything including the entire inside of doors, trunk depressions etc - but that is actually a "Show Wrap." Asking how much to do the 4 doors - thinking I could live with the minor other white parts - they quoted another 2k just for the four door insides. That would have made it 6k total. Not really up for that as while I like it...not sure how long I would keep it and the addt'l 2k seems a bit unreasonable since those parts rarely show.

Now - still being retentive...I thought...hhmm...I could just buy the vinyl and attempt it myself...but my previous attempts have been sorry at best. And the inside of the doors are really curvy and have difficult shapes for wrap. I guess I can see where the 2k is earned. lol

So - I remembered PlastiDip and I've used it in small areas in the past. And they have a metallic matte gray that is 90% a match. So - I thought...lets do a test.

Super easy and inexpensive way to do all the inside of the door sills and door sides while matching the wrap. And the best thing...it just peels right off if you don't dig it.

Here is my test and then progressing. Its so easy to work with. Hard part is some of the nooks and crannies. Front door is almost done. The back door you can see color variance where I did some touch up - that was me correcting and it hadn't dried yet. but one or 2 more light coats and it blends perfectly. After the main parts are done there will be edges detail and then clean up. Even if you get it on the rubber around the doors...just wait till it dries and it rubs off stat. Wet microfiber to complete the clean up. The detail work around the edges and fixing some small areas to make it perfect takes the longest. But all this work took less than 1.5 hours not including the wait between dry times between layers.

I tested it first...and after I confirmed that color and it dried...I just peeled it off cleaned it and started over.

2k or $40?

All the white will be matte metallic gray and I'll have perfect edges. Doing driver side this weekend. Passenger next. Maybe inside trunk after that.
Attached Thumbnails Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7293.jpeg   Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7323.jpeg   Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7321.jpeg  

Last edited by parkstr8; 01-14-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, I could live with the $40 job.

also, awesome plate :-)double doberman owner
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just finished the driver side...I should have started with passenger as now I have the technique down. lol

I am a triple Doberman owner...all 3 rescues. 2 blues and a black. AND a standard poodle. How old are yours? I own a supplement company and created a pet product after I lost my first Dobie who I had for 12 years. He had bone cancer...so my product is designed to fight that as well as a lot of other doggie ailments - specifically mobility. LMK if you are interested and I'll give you the code for 50%. www.curcuminpro.com

Originally Posted by SlingshotSQ5
wow, I could live with the $40 job.

also, awesome plate :-)double doberman owner
Old 01-15-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Driver side almost done. I should have used the passenger side as my test so I could perfect the technique. Still have some touchup to do. But this cost less than $28 and only took a total of 3 hours including dry time between coats.

I love this stuff. If you get it on ANYTHING (I kept the overspray off the leather and dash etc) like the rubber door surrounds, etc...just let it dry and it rubs/peels right off. Will get around to the ends of the doors at some point. Those will be super easy as the masking is simple due to clean lines.
Attached Thumbnails Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...-img_7327.jpeg  

Last edited by parkstr8; 01-15-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Dropped off my 16 S6 for an after Christmas wrapping...