S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Estoril Blue - Xpel or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

If you aren't trained, don't even think about trying to install Xpel Ultimate yourself. Working with a full hood and the many small curvy and angular pieces of the front bumper requires a great deal of expertise. As you've seen, the pieces aren't inexpensive and if you screw up (likely), you will be responsible vs. an installer for replacement.

My installer, Unique Car Care in MA, is one of the top Xpel/Detailer shops in the country and even they sometimes have to redo sections when something doesn't go smoothly. It took a good eight hours for them to do my full front and rocker panels and the money was well spent - those guys knew what they were doing.

There are several videos/photo spreads online showing Xpel installs. Once you view these, you will know what I'm getting at. Not for the inexperienced. I would not attempt surgery on myself either.

This is a photo log of my installer, Unique Car Care, doing a BMW with Xpel Ultimate:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/det...rotection.html
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Since I run into trouble putting tint on a curved window, it's likely that I would screw up film.

My biggest concern though is if I only do the front (and 'only the front' costing $1,300), is that the film will look different than painted surfaces. In the pictures it almost looks glossier, and that's on a pristinely clean car. How will it look after awhile in the elements?

I guess I could do the front and see how it looks, and if real noticeable, do the rest of the car, but doing the doors, rear fenders, and trunk must cost a bundle.

I have no garage, so the car will live outside all the time. A few thousand dollars could pay for a chunk of the cost of a garage.

The place that does the film is located where I buy tires, so when go to have tires installed, they can give me a better idea of what the whole car would cost to cover, but I don't see it costing much less than $4,000 if at all. Anybody have their whole car covered?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jascooper
Thanks for the info. Since I run into trouble putting tint on a curved window, it's likely that I would screw up film.

My biggest concern though is if I only do the front (and 'only the front' costing $1,300), is that the film will look different than painted surfaces. In the pictures it almost looks glossier, and that's on a pristinely clean car. How will it look after awhile in the elements?

I guess I could do the front and see how it looks, and if real noticeable, do the rest of the car, but doing the doors, rear fenders, and trunk must cost a bundle.

I have no garage, so the car will live outside all the time. A few thousand dollars could pay for a chunk of the cost of a garage.

The place that does the film is located where I buy tires, so when go to have tires installed, they can give me a better idea of what the whole car would cost to cover, but I don't see it costing much less than $4,000 if at all. Anybody have their whole car covered?
I have my entire R8 covered in 3M matte film, which is similar in thickness to the Xpel, but obviously matte instead of glossy. A properly installed clear bra will be unnoticeable (assuming the paint is detailed and free of swirls to begin with). I think covering the entire S6 is overkill, but to each his own. How much you pay is dependent on where you are located and the skill of the installer. A good installer will apply custom cut film versus the precut kits mentioned above. The benefit of custom cut is that the installer can go all the way to the edges of the panels and often wrap the film around the edges. This leaves less seams, which is visually appealing and offers better protection.

All clear bra types will discolour over a long period of time due to sun/heat/contaminants. Film will also swirl up like regular paint if you care for it improperly (i.e. automatic car washes). The film on my R8 around the rear bumper has yellowed bc the exhaust puts out a fair amount of heat, but I knew this would be the case when I decided to wrap the entire car.

If price is a concern, my suggestion is for you to cover the forward facing panels (front bumper, partial hood & fenders, mirrors). If you want to go further I would also do the rear bumper, lower rockers, and behind the wheels. I opted for full front end, rockers, behind wheels, and rear bumper on my estoril blue S7.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No need to be concerned. You can't tell the difference on my Xpel Ultimate full front in the flesh. Once you clean and wax the car (incl the film), it will all look the same (thanks to the clear coat embedded on the Ultimate). When the car is dirty, it also looks the same - covered in muck. (BTW, my sig photo was taken just before the film install so any difference you see is irrelevant).

While a few folks have done it, since the primary purpose of the Xpel is to avoid rock chips, filming the surfaces that are highly unlikely to be affected would be overkill in my opinion. If I had a small, expensive, low slung sports car, I might feel differently.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cost to Xpel an S6

Here's what I had done in the Portland, Oregon area before taking delivery of my car:

Priority #1 was protection from paint chips; priority #2 was protection from swirls.

Xpel : complete hood, fenders, bumper, backs of mirrors, headlamps, door edges, top of rear bumper, rockers, lower quarters, roof and pillars.

Prior to Xpel: clay bar, hand wax, and sealant.

I was worried about the Estoril after reading what HyperS4 said about it, so I did the Xpel Ultimate on practically everything--the detailer calls it a full burial. I had the dealer deliver it to the detailer without doing their new car prep and the detailer did a full exterior detail including claying and sealant before putting on the Xpel. Combination of detail and Xpel overkill came to about $2,000.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My installer, Unique Car Care in MA, is one of the top Xpel/Detailer shops in the country and even they sometimes have to redo sections when something doesn't go smoothly. It took a good eight hours for them to do my full front and rocker panels and the money was well spent - those guys knew what they were doing.
+1 on Unique Car Care, by the way. If there's anyone in the New England area, I HIGHLY recommend them. Here they are doing a detail/clear bra install on my S4:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniqu...7135170&type=3
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm assuming that any competent installer is going to do a careful prep before putting any film on. I got the name of a nearby dealer from the Xpel website. They're at the same location as a great tire dealer/installer so I tend to think they're probably okay.

Does $900 for the full hood, fenders and mirrors and $400 for the front bumper and headlights sound like a fair price? I got one other quote but it was the front of the hood and fenders, not the full coverage, and the price for the bumper kit was higher.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm assuming that any competent installer is going to do a careful prep before putting any film on. I got the name of a nearby dealer from the Xpel website. They're at the same location as a great tire dealer/installer so I tend to think they're probably okay.

Does $900 for the full hood, fenders and mirrors and $400 for the front bumper and headlights sound like a fair price? I got one other quote but it was the front of the hood and fenders, not the full coverage, and the price for the bumper kit was higher.
If they wrap the edges on the fenders and hood, $1300 is a very decent price for a full front Ultimate. You might want to add the rocker panels - if you can get it for another $100 that would be a good deal. Also ask them to throw in a short piece on the rear bumper by the trunk loading area.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nobbyv
+1 on Unique Car Care, by the way. If there's anyone in the New England area, I HIGHLY recommend them. Here they are doing a detail/clear bra install on my S4:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniqu...7135170&type=3
Rick's guys in Wakefield do a fantastic job. I had one small area on an edge that didn't take, and I stopped back and they replaced the whole piece with no issues. Probably not the least expensive place around to do the Ultimate but well worth the quality of workmanship.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Xpel Installer Advice - Northern NJ

Appreciate any recommendations offered for a great Xpel installer in Northern NJ. Pls advise, thx.

Quick Reply: Estoril Blue - Xpel or not?