S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Factory wheels - conservative offset

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because spacers/offset fit, does not mean its a good idea. I think your asking for trouble for any offset greater than +- 10mm from stock. The suspension was designed for the offset. It's not a question of being conservative. This topic has been debated a few times before. I'd spend the time to research this.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been debating the addition of spacers on this car. Looks wise they need to be pushed out at least 10mm, possibly more.

Edporsche makes some good points. As this car will never see the track (at least in my ownership) The minor change in geometry should do very little to effect the suspension's safety and wear points. at least in my experience.

Over the years i have run spacers or altered offset wheels on all of my cars. Sometimes for aesthetics, times for performance and sometime to avoid a rub from wider wheels/tires... etc. If The product you use is well made and specific to your application then for our cars I can't really see a downside... if you are going for just looks.

I usually go to motorsport tech in carson nevada for spacers. They custom make them to application and do extremely good work. I have never had a problem with their spacers causing imbalance or any other issues.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the reality of going past 10mm on stock uncorrected suspension. I have always used that as a rule of thumb, but on a couple of cars.. i have been much more aggressive, albeit with aftermarket suspension components and proper alignment. If an alignment is all it would take on this car to correct the possible offset issues I may go for it.

Forgive me for my ignorance... I don't know everything and love to learn.

Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The concern I have is that Audi could void your suspension warranty if you run spacers, arguing that you're putting more strain on the components. Yes, you could argue back but it's not a battle I'd care to fight, given the cost of the air suspension and other associated bits.

I have an eight year warranty from Audi on my car and, to keep that intact, it might just be the only car I leave dead stock.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm running ET38 on my winter set, and I can definitely feel a difference in handling. It isn't better or worse, but there is a difference. It's like the turn-in became quicker...not sure exactly.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The concern I have is that Audi could void your suspension warranty if you run spacers, arguing that you're putting more strain on the components. Yes, you could argue back but it's not a battle I'd care to fight, given the cost of the air suspension and other associated bits.

I have an eight year warranty from Audi on my car and, to keep that intact, it might just be the only car I leave dead stock.
This would be a tough battle for Audi to win. I have run after market wheels with more aggressive offsets for years. I have run spacers on cars and never had any issues with dealerships/maintenance. It's easy to remove the spacer if you are having suspension issues before taking it to the dealer. The dealership is certainly not going to pictures of your spacers when the car is in for service.

Plus I have never had one issue with suspension on any of my cars. (knock on wood)

I'll keep the car for two/three years tops, so I'm not concerned.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

With all the TD1 talk in the B8 world i am coming from, the above is a legitimate concern. Thanks for the POV on the warranty. I would personally hope that Audi built the S6 suspension in a robust fashion, not just adequate to keep the car from losing its wheels. I think it would be a tougher battle for audi to win than the consumer.

That said, I do see benefits with a wider stance from a handling standpoint as well, but the 20mm in track width would be very slight change and should not dramatically effect the feel or capability for better or worse.

What is the offset of the S7? I have to believe that if there is any difference in our suspension setup it would only be alignment due to wider track.. So in theory we should be safe to at least the S7 offset and be within factory specified geometry. It looks like the S7 is et32... but that could be wrong... searching for the answer now.

Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Food for thought:

The track of the RS6 is specified at 1662mm while the S6 is 1615mm for a difference of 47mm. If you assume for a moment that the wheel widths were the same, then the wheels on the RS6 would stick out 47/2= 23mm more on each side. The subframe and suspension components between the 2 cars are most likely the same, so the natural conclusion would be that the RS6 is running much more aggressive offset.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobC
Food for thought:

The track of the RS6 is specified at 1662mm while the S6 is 1615mm for a difference of 47mm. If you assume for a moment that the wheel widths were the same, then the wheels on the RS6 would stick out 47/2= 23mm more on each side. The subframe and suspension components between the 2 cars are most likely the same, so the natural conclusion would be that the RS6 is running much more aggressive offset.
very good point. I have to believe that the major components are the same across S7/S6/RS6/RS7... Glad you pointed out the RS6... This makes me feel better about the spacers i just ordered....
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
very good point. I have to believe that the major components are the same across S7/S6/RS6/RS7... Glad you pointed out the RS6... This makes me feel better about the spacers i just ordered....
Cool. I'm going to stop by my tuner shop and have them help with what size of spacer to get. Did you order 20MM?

Here is a picture of an A6 with 10MM front and 12MM rear

Name:  A6.jpg
Views: 5099
Size:  103.4 KB
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Harsany
Cool. I'm going to stop by my tuner shop and have them help with what size of spacer to get. Did you order 20MM?

Here is a picture of an A6 with 10MM front and 12MM rear

Attachment 29288
I ordered the 10mm front 12mm rear as seen in your photo.

Did not really want to get much further out than that as i think this will go a long way to a good stance and is well within the offset range on other cars with this suspension.

My 2cents... who knows what will happen... my airbags could blow up as soon as i put the spacers on. Just my little contribution to the community... we need to get the Mods rolling. I am always willing to be a guinea pig, almost a character flaw.

Mike

Quick Reply: Factory wheels - conservative offset