S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Holy Brake Dust Batman!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
If you have deposits on your rotors, the only sure-fire cure is to have them turned. Alternatively, you can do another bed-in procedure, which may or may not work, depending upon the pad compound. For those not familiar with it, the correct procedure is as follows:
On my Stoptechs I was told they would have to be rotary ground on a special machine which was why I opted to try the race pads to scrub off the deposits. The S6 front rotor appears to be floating based on the radial pins but I have no idea if it can be turned the traditional way with a lathe.

And for what it's worth, when I did the rotor scrub with the race pads, I was instructed to do 110->60 mph stops. I had to do this in the middle of the night when no one was around on a highway where I could see far enough to know there are no other cars (cops) nearby. But the bed-in procedure you mention is the proper method for non-race compound pads.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob, did you leave the race pads in? If not, then you might have eliminated the deposits but caused another issue by having a non-compatible transfer layer on the rotors when you put the stock or non-race pads back in.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rob, did you leave the race pads in? If not, then you might have eliminated the deposits but caused another issue by having a non-compatible transfer layer on the rotors when you put the stock or non-race pads back in.
They were on just long enough to scrape off the gunk, maybe 50 miles tops. Also I had two sets of rotors: one for the track and one for street, so I wouldn't have to deal with the dissimilar pad material switching back and forth.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have deposits on your rotors, the only sure-fire cure is to have them turned. Alternatively, you can do another bed-in procedure, which may or may not work, depending upon the pad compound. For those not familiar with it, the correct procedure is as follows:

Find a long, lonely section of road (so you won't get rear-ended or arrested). Do a series of moderately hard stops, say from 60 to 20 mph, to get the brakes nice and hot. Then do a series of hard stops from from high speed (say, 80 to 20 mph). I say stops, but it's critical that you don't actually stop, as that will create more pad deposits on the rotor. Once you start to smell your brakes or experience minor fade, drive around for 10-15 minutes, not using your brakes at all if you can help it. Park the car and let it cool for several hours, leaving the hand brake off (I'm not quite sure how to do this last part with the electric brake on the C7). You should now be properly bedded-in.
To not have the parking brake on you need to leave the aux power on and turn the e-brake off manually. But you need to leave the car on. Therefore draining the battery of course... Had to do this at Pocono until the brakes cooled off.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, EBC does not yet have a part for the C7 S6. I was told by EBC that a "backing plate" had been designed, so that means the pad is in design and will be produced. I could not get an ETA but I will keep my eye on it. I'll certainly post some insights if I do get the pads.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
Well, EBC does not yet have a part for the C7 S6. I was told by EBC that a "backing plate" had been designed, so that means the pad is in design and will be produced. I could not get an ETA but I will keep my eye on it. I'll certainly post some insights if I do get the pads.
Interestingly this site lists EBC pads for the C7 S6:

http://www.carid.com/2013-audi-s6-brakes/
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

C7 S6 or the ever-imaginary "Audi S6 5.2L 2013"
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RobC
Interestingly this site lists EBC pads for the C7 S6:

http://www.carid.com/2013-audi-s6-brakes/
If you follow the link, it indicates the brakes are for an S6 with the 5.2 liter engine. Just a carry-over from the old V-10 S6. They likely won't fit us.

Jim
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oops I missed that detail, I only looked at the BIG BOLD WORDS.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Break dust on the S6 is horrific... but I have one word to help you keep your wheels very easily wiped clean...

PLEXUS!!

This stuff is amazing. Wash your car and while the wheels are still wet, spray it on and dry the wheels like you normally would. Or, dry the wheels then apply it and wipe the Plexus off. The next several times you drive and get break dust, use a clean dry towell or rag to very easily and quickly wipe the break dust away. You can buy it at motorcycle shops or sometimes at boating shops (probably online too). Get a large can. Not sure why Pep Boys doesn't have it... they should! Trust me on this... and report back.

Last edited by Shredster; 05-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Holy Brake Dust Batman!