S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update, I decided to green-light the black-optic replacement grill. I was able to negotiate a 20% off list with my local Audi dealer, and was able to also negotiate a lower installation price. I learned that S6/A6 cars with the innovation package requires quite a bit of installation to re-align the cameras with a new grill.

Reasoning on why I pulled the trigger:

1) The grill will make the largest visible different of the entire Black optic package. Frankly, I never cared for the original S6 grill look. In my humble opinion, the original S6 grill is noisy and makes the front of the car too busy. In fact, I have noticed that many people photograph their S6 cars from the rear -- IMO,I feel this could be a shared perspective. As such, I have been researching a grill replacement since I bought the car -- originally wanting a RS6 grill. However, given the black optic S6 grill accomplishes everything I desire and the fact that it is an actual factory option for 2014, I prefer to maintain my car as close to factory specifications as possible.

2) WRT to wrapping or painting the grill: Since the grill faces front (and bugs, rocks, etc) I decided the molded gloss-black finish was worth the extra dollars vs. painting or wrapping. Not saying those options aren't good for others, but in my mind and for my car, I wanted it "factory perfect."

3) I am going to leave the bright-work around the sensors (ie: fog light forward looking cameras) to see if the contrast is attractive. If not, I will black this out.

4) I have gotten a quote of $600 to wrap-black out the chrome trim, but also am going to hold out on this to see if it is attractive w/ the grill. I am also not sold on whether to replace the trip w/ factory trip (OEMPlus is the source) or to wrap it.

5) I have decided to keep the 20 inch factory S6 wheels no matter what...

6) I am going w/ a light tint of 35% which will be applied while the car is getting it's new face. I want to see how this looks w/ the chrome before I black it out.

7) When my car is in the shop, I am going to have the TSB and ECU flashes applied along w/ my 5K service.

I am excited about this change. Will post pictures when it is all done -- will be a couple weeks to get the parts and get everything installed.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your Black Optics grill.

As I mentioned already, I have always been of the opinion that the best look for the grill surround trim is to match the body color of the car. I had my kidney grill surrounds painted to match the color of my BMW prior to owning my new S6. It looked much better that way. I also had a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe which came from the factory with painted grill trim instead of the chrome that they used on the sedan.

Anyway, I decided this morning to test out the look by quickly taping with white electric tape. You will have to use your imagination to see the past the fact this was done with cheap tape, but I feel like this will look very good when it is actually done in proper paint to match the Ibis White.

I am planning to order a black grill, and then paint the trim. Will keep the S6 original grill as-is so I can always return back if necessary.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting this. I agree w/ you.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Thanks for posting this. I agree w/ you.
if some one buys a new grill I would like to buy your grill since mine has holes drilled in it I am looking for a clean grill that is cheaper then buying a new one some one shoot me out a price in a pm
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Looking forward to seeing your Black Optics grill.

As I mentioned already, I have always been of the opinion that the best look for the grill surround trim is to match the body color of the car. I had my kidney grill surrounds painted to match the color of my BMW prior to owning my new S6. It looked much better that way. I also had a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe which came from the factory with painted grill trim instead of the chrome that they used on the sedan.

Anyway, I decided this morning to test out the look by quickly taping with white electric tape. You will have to use your imagination to see the past the fact this was done with cheap tape, but I feel like this will look very good when it is actually done in proper paint to match the Ibis White.

I am planning to order a black grill, and then paint the trim. Will keep the S6 original grill as-is so I can always return back if necessary.
Love the on the fly improv. I think it does a good job of toning down the chrome on the front which at times I think can be a bit much. I think it may also look good painting the chrome white on the two bars on the lower sides of the grille.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sciblades
if some one buys a new grill I would like to buy your grill since mine has holes drilled in it I am looking for a clean grill that is cheaper then buying a new one some one shoot me out a price in a pm
I will have a mint S6 grill to sell... With night vision and front facing cameras.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I recently purchased a roll of the gloss black vinyl tape from ShadowlineTrim.com

This morning I applied it to one of the lower portions of chrome window trim, as a test. The tape is not terribly hard to apply, but the trimming and tucking part was tricky.

Bottom line is that I liked the look of the black trim, but I am not going to be satisfied with the vinyl tape. I don't have the patience to go slow enough to ensure a perfect application of the tape. Plus, I would be somewhat concerned about the effects of the adhesive over time in the hot Florida sun.

My next mission is to seek out the part numbers and pricing for the OEM black window trim pieces for the Black Optics package. Then I can compare the expense of ordering the actual Audi trim in Black vs. having my customs shop paint the existing trim.

Does anyone here know how I can locate the part numbers for the Audi black optics window trim?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Does anyone here know how I can locate the part numbers for the Audi black optics window trim?
Have you tried the parts department at your dealership? That's the easiest way to get the part numbers.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Have you tried the parts department at your dealership? That's the easiest way to get the part numbers.
Not yet. The dealer is not very close to my home, but I'll give them a try by phone first to see if they have any luck.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a roll of the gloss black vinyl tape from ShadowlineTrim.com

This morning I applied it to one of the lower portions of chrome window trim, as a test. The tape is not terribly hard to apply, but the trimming and tucking part was tricky.

Bottom line is that I liked the look of the black trim, but I am not going to be satisfied with the vinyl tape. I don't have the patience to go slow enough to ensure a perfect application of the tape. Plus, I would be somewhat concerned about the effects of the adhesive over time in the hot Florida sun.

My next mission is to seek out the part numbers and pricing for the OEM black window trim pieces for the Black Optics package. Then I can compare the expense of ordering the actual Audi trim in Black vs. having my customs shop paint the existing trim.

Fuse, post a pic of the black shadowline trim on the grille when you have a chance. I'm about to pull the trigger on having my grille edge and chrome window trim wrapped in gloss black. Just trying to find time to take it in.

Quick Reply: HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit