S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk785

So you're going to get the black optic grill, then paint it? You just want to keep the stock one .. stock for trade in purposes or you just painting the trim around the grill white? I'd just assume have them paint the stock one.

The OEM grill has a gray filler panel, "aluminum-look" horizontal trim, and the chrome trim surround.

I want the black filler panel and horizontal trim, but I have always preferred the chrome surround trim to match the car's body color. This is a look which I first discovered when I owned a 1994 Acura Legend coupe. I absolutely loved that car. One of the minor design details Acura made to the Legend coupe vs. the sedan was to replace the chrome grill trim with trim that matched the car's body color.

When I got my BMW 545i, I loved everything about the look of that car except for the chrome kidney grill trim. So I had them painted to match the car. It looked great.

So, from my previous experience I feel that this look would be the most appealing to me. Plus, it will give me a very unique look that very few other people will have, if any.

As for buying the black optics grill first, I saw this as the easier path. Rather than having a whole lot of difficult and intricate paint work done to the OEM grill, I decided to get the black optics grill and I can simply paint the surrounding trim. That should be a lot easier for the painters, and will give me less surface area that might be prone to chipping. It also gives me an easy option to return the car to factory if I decide that I made a mistake, or sell the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of having the chrome trim color-matched to the car, the grill surfaces painted black, and the audi rings color matched to the car (it's dark grey). Then i'd just have the window trim painted and mirrors color matched. From there--we still have a lot of remaining chrome on the handles and other areas, so it makes me think I should just leave well enough alone

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The OEM grill has a gray filler panel, "aluminum-look" horizontal trim, and the chrome trim surround.

I want the black filler panel and horizontal trim, but I have always preferred the chrome surround trim to match the car's body color. This is a look which I first discovered when I owned a 1994 Acura Legend coupe. I absolutely loved that car. One of the minor design details Acura made to the Legend coupe vs. the sedan was to replace the chrome grill trim with trim that matched the car's body color.

When I got my BMW 545i, I loved everything about the look of that car except for the chrome kidney grill trim. So I had them painted to match the car. It looked great.

So, from my previous experience I feel that this look would be the most appealing to me. Plus, it will give me a very unique look that very few other people will have, if any.

As for buying the black optics grill first, I saw this as the easier path. Rather than having a whole lot of difficult and intricate paint work done to the OEM grill, I decided to get the black optics grill and I can simply paint the surrounding trim. That should be a lot easier for the painters, and will give me less surface area that might be prone to chipping. It also gives me an easy option to return the car to factory if I decide that I made a mistake, or sell the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My only problem with buying that grill is, after spending 1100 (ish/shipping) - then I have to pay audi to install it, which is going to hurt even more. I'd try it myself but there's so much **** jammed in the bumper... parking sensors, night vision camera in an audi ring, front camera, radar for audi, radar detector (installed), etc... Seems like a nightmare to do on my own and walk away with everything working.
I'm going to attempt to install the grille myself (I have on every other car I've owned), if I can find a bumper removal guide/DIY (or at least where all the mounting points are)... All of the sensors/cameras should unplug once the bumper skin is off... I hope.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

My fear is mostly related to the radar/adapt cruise/brake assist/lane assist stuff. If you knock that out of alignment, I'd imagine it's not gonna be cheap to have audi re-align it.

I looked at the cowl around the engine and the bumper cover--it looked like a nightmare to take apart to install the radar detector/laser difuser stuff. (not to mention the nightmare that would be getting through the firewall and routing wires in the engine bay)... I had audi do it.

Originally Posted by CreoS4
I'm going to attempt to install the grille myself (I have on every other car I've owned), if I can find a bumper removal guide/DIY (or at least where all the mounting points are)... All of the sensors/cameras should unplug once the bumper skin is off... I hope.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My fear is mostly related to the radar/adapt cruise/brake assist/lane assist stuff. If you knock that out of alignment, I'd imagine it's not gonna be cheap to have audi re-align it.
I don't have the night vision on my car, so I'm not too worried. Once I remove the bumper skin, only the grille will be removed from it. So I would just need to swap over the front view camera and parking sensors. If I'm just reinstalling everything in the same area, I don't see why I'd need to re-align (but who knows).

Another post said that when the dealer installed the black optic grille, they had to re-align all of the front sensors. So, that's likely already part of the install cost if you have your dealership do it.

I'll try it out. If I encounter any issues, I'll go to the dealer.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up deciding to try out the plastidip--worst case it will hold me over til I get the 'real deal' --I'm just going to have the chrome trim around the windows black vinyl wrapped.

I started by just doing the strips of grey - turning those black. But then saw that space above the audi rings and other areas were also grey.

So I decided to do the horizontal strips of chrome (basically everything but the surrounding chrome and rings). I also did the accent around the 'fog' light area where the radar is ..

Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

That looks good. I kind of wish that the black optics grill had the chrome around the frame to give it some contrast. I'll have to see what mine looks like in person when I get it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
That looks good. I kind of wish that the black optics grill had the chrome around the frame to give it some contrast. I'll have to see what mine looks like in person when I get it.
Thanks- We'll see how it holds up...

here's one with the garage door shut (less backlight)

I'll take another after I get the trim done.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job! I'm going to buy some and play around with Plasti Dip on my grille. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just did five coats of the black and one coat of the glossifier (or whatever its called)

Quick Reply: HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit