S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Looking for Ice Silver & Oolong Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Posting a pic of the car in the shade does this color no justice. Not even worth posting, sorry dude.
Well, Hyper, while you certainly have a point, one of the annoyances I have with selecting paint via the internet (which is what I had to do) is that today's mixes do show differently in different lighting situations, sometimes vastly.

Oolong ends up looking matte grey in some lighting conditions and near-black in others. My friends wife commented that she didn't know my car was grey after having seen it a dozen or so times at night or in overcast weather...that's how black it looks sometimes.

So...any pictures, reasonably well composed, are likely a help to someone who doesn't have the opportunity to see it in person (and those little 8" square swatches in the dealership don't really help). So the data point here was "in the shade, oolong looks a lot like black".
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gorgeous - look forward to seeing more pics of Oolong. Going to try to find one at a local dealer and see it in person. I think I've narrowed down options/config:

Oolong / Black
Full LED
20"
Black Cloth Headliner
Carbon Atlas Inlays

Now to just find the best deal and rape the dealer for a ridiculous price.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I ordered an Oolong Gray A8 yesterday.

They had one in the showroom, and another car in Oolong outside.
It's a very transitional color, looking completely different based on lighting. In the dark it is very dark gray, almost black.
Outside in the bright sun, it takes on a slightly green hue.

I must say it is a very nice color, although I still prefer Dakota Gray. Unfortunately, they don't offer Dakota on the A8 unless you pay the big bucks for custom paint.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd appreciate hearing from you Ooolong owners how well that color "hides" the dirt.

I love the color but it looks to be to be just dark enough that there's very little difference in keeping that looking clean vs. black.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I'd appreciate hearing from you Ooolong owners how well that color "hides" the dirt.

I love the color but it looks to be to be just dark enough that there's very little difference in keeping that looking clean vs. black.
I saw Oolong Gray in the showroom on an A8, and in the parking lot on another model.

In the lot, the car was rather dirty and it did affect the look dramatically. Oolong is the type of color which looks almost black in certain light conditions, and somewhat olive green in others. The dirt/water spots took on a greenish color in the sunlight and were pretty noticable.

Don't get me wrong.... it's a lovely color. (I ordered it on the A8). But it's definitely not a color that hides dirt well, from my limited experience. (At least, not well compared to Dakota Gray, or Quartz Gray)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

i had a black s4 previously, which was predictably miserable to keep clean. this is /slightly/ better, insofar as i've been less annoyed than usual this winter.

i think that the (frequency of cleaning)/(attractiveness of color) ratio is pretty good.