S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

My S6 is here baby

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My S6 is here baby

I was the last one out of the dealership, but I didn't mind waiting. This car is awesome. It is more spectacular than you think...or...imagine. Of all the cars I've ever driven, this is the best by far. The only option I didn't get is the B&O. I am happy to report that the Bose system is awesome. Such a relief for me. I streamed my new Dave Mathew's Band via Bluetooth A2DP and it sounded great. I could not have been happier. There is no doubt in my mind that saving the $5900 is definitely worth it. Each person has their own opinion, and no doubt the B&O does sound better, but this sound is great. Totally happy.

This thing is fast! I keep hearing people say how smooth it is ... and that it is. Very smooth. It also handles very well. I was in dynamic mode and I took some corners very fast and it took them no problem. The exhaust sound is meaty.

Comfort seats. Ok. Let me not overstate this: Spectacular. I had the massage feature going with the heat on this 40 degree night and it was spectacular. There were many adjustments, and they all felt good I am missing out on the diamond stitch look, but what you can't see I'd rather feel while driving. I had the heated steering wheel going and it picked the appropriate temperature.

The ambient LED interior lights and the lighted door sills make the car feel special. The lights are just a cool blue look inside the car while driving. Very nice indeed. I fly airplanes with glass panel displays and this car feels as special as an advanced airplane.

MMI is good. We have a MY12Q7 so I'm used to it by now. The street view is bonus I must say and the hand recognition made it easy to pan around.

The brakes are weird. Not good, but not bad. Weird. I never got used to them on the way home. The Q7 brakes are better. My Porsche brakes are world class. I don't think they got the brakes right. Perhaps it will get better over time or as I get used to it. Pressing the accelerator from a stop is also a little weird. I feel the car wants to always start off fast. If you start off slow, it's like it doesn't know what to do. I noticed a surge on a couple of occasions. I have to learn how to gas it appropriately.

The HUD was intuitive. The steering wheel was world class. The automatic rear shade was very high quality. It goes down automatically in reverse. Cool. The rear seats are very comfortable. Mine had heated rear seats and the rear HVAC controls were very nice. I found the rear seats very comfortable.

The night vision was very cool, although I feel I'll be ignoring it soon. It feels like a feature that's really not needed. The ACC is very cool. I was able to use it immediately with very intuitive controls. The green icons on the HUD is cool. It felt like a video game

I don't find the tire noise is that much. I think it's ample. I can hear the tires, but it's not too much. Just enough noise from the road I think is appropriate. Seeing the wheels changed my mind totally. I'm keeping them. They look better in person. I'm very happy with them. Now, I don't have to worry about the ET45 offset and finding a wheel that is compatible.

I like this car better than my Porsche 911. It's faster, more comfortable, better gas mileage, and is loaded with technology. I'm very happy with the car. Ecstatic! I only drove it about 14 miles so tomorrow I'll give it a good run.

-Ed
Attached Images      

Last edited by edporsche; 12-21-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

calm down!!!

Just kidding...Dont make the Austin police richer than they need to be

Whats your favorite thing in the car so far?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ed - Your car looks great - Congrats! Thanks for the early review. I'm glad to hear you like the seats. How do they look with the Carbon? When you take the daytime pics, can you please snap some interior shots to show the Carbon next to the seats?

As for the brakes, your observations are consistent with my 4 test drives (in total) of one S7 and three A7s. The brakes are just too mushy for my liking compared to BMW and Porsche brakes. Like you, I assume I can get used to them, but the travel on the pedal was too long for me to feel really comfortable with them. Obviously every car is different, but the S7/A7 brakes were the first thing I noticed on each test drive that I just felt didn't match the dynamically responsive nature of the rest of the vehicles' performance.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by noah123
Whats your favorite thing in the car so far?
This was an easy one. It is controllably fast! Faster than you think from a 4 door sedan. But the speed is tame with the AWD. I had 400hp in a Cadillac CTS-V. That car was like taking off on ice. It would easily throw you in the next lane. It did spin out once on me. However, this car has all that speed with a planted feel. I was driving by myself when I left the dealership. I turned left, pressed the accelerator, and said out loud, "whoa. That is nice" The A6 speed is fast. The A6 speed is plenty. This has excessive speed Feels like a race car in a suit.

Last edited by edporsche; 12-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Heehehe...

Please post some daytime pics!!

Seems u love ur wheels...I have narrowed down to couple of options from Vossen..

Did u buy or lease?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gs4rx3
How do they look with the Carbon? When you take the daytime pics, can you please snap some interior shots to show the Carbon next to the seats?
I actually thought of you at the dealership. I took delivery at night so I didn't see them myself in the proper light. Tonight I was outside in my driveway checking out all the features and I was enjoying the look of the carbon fiber at night. There is no way a picture can capture how good the carbon looks at night. Yes, of course I'll take a couple of pics for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by noah123
Heehehe...

Please post some daytime pics!!

Seems u love ur wheels...I have narrowed down to couple of options from Vossen..

Did u buy or lease?
I bought the car outright. 7 yr/100,000 miles, Audi Maintenance, Wheels & tires, Audi Connect. Noah, take a look at the wheels before you decide about changing them. There are only a few S6s here in Austin so they will look unique. I do like the Pirelli tires. I just hope they last. I have this urge to wear them out.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edporsche
I bought the car outright. 7 yr/100,000 miles, Audi Maintenance, Wheels & tires, Audi Connect. Noah, take a look at the wheels before you decide about changing them. There are only a few S6s here in Austin so they will look unique. I do like the Pirelli tires. I just hope they last. I have this urge to wear them out.
Thats the first thing my dealer told me.."PIRELLIS DONT LAST"...anyway lets not worry abt it...

100k/7 year warranty, is this offered by your dealer?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Just curious why you didnt go with the A7 or S7?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Just curious why you didnt go with the A7 or S7?
I didnt want an "A" series car

S7-------------

If this question is for me then i have 2 reasons

1. 7K extra for what
2. Wife did not like it

7K was bringing me dangerously close into 100k territory....

I would have bought S8/Panamera for that much money...Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: My S6 is here baby