S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Audi 2013 Big Game Commercial - "Prom" (Worth It)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That commercial is not to sell S6s, its to sell the Audi brand

This will be a success. It pushes the Audi brand to millions! Plus they are genius with the Youtube voting. Now everyone on youtube that watches this will be looking for it again. Plus everyone that knows someone with an Audi will comment that they saw the commercial.

Brilliant!

That is Ice Metallic right?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mattsam
That commercial is not to sell S6s, its to sell the Audi brand

This will be a success. It pushes the Audi brand to millions! Plus they are genius with the Youtube voting. Now everyone on youtube that watches this will be looking for it again. Plus everyone that knows someone with an Audi will comment that they saw the commercial.

Brilliant!

That is Ice Metallic right?
...I am not sure this ad lives up the legacy of past Audi Superbowl ads... Green Police remains my favorite... but I feel that maybe they are going to run a totally separate clip w/ the girl in the S6 screaming w/ him... Something tells me... we'll see.

As an S6 owner, not sure I identify w/ the guy w/ the black eye. Not at all. Not one bit. Sorry guys...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, what a stupid and pointless commercial.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
Wow, what a stupid and pointless commercial.
lol - I guess you and I are old geezers who "just don't get it". The commercial is geared to the younger, more hip generation who can better relate to this. Audi (and BMW, MB, Cadillac, even Lincoln and Buick) is smart to figure that they are not waiting for rich old folks to buy luxury cars.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 02-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Think of the psychology - Audi's customer here is the dad, not the son - he's reliving his youth, why else would he blow 80k on an S6.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
lol - I guess you and I are old geezers who "just don't get it". The commercial is geared to the younger, more hip generation who can better related to this. Audi (and BMW, MB, Cadillac, even Lincoln and Buick) is smart to figure that they are not waiting for rich old folks to buy luxury cars.
There might be something to this. Nothing wrong with making a car an aspirational product for the younger set, even if they have no hope of affording one. I remember when the Ur-S4 was released in the early '90s. Did I ever drool over that one at the local car show, and then spent hours poring over every review, brochure or other piece of literature I could find on it. Years later I sold my 90Q (purchased used) and traded up to a used '93 S4.

I also drooled over the B5 S4 when it came out but (thankfully) skipped that generation and eventually bought a lightly-used B6 S4 Cab (after leaving the Audi fold for a while). Now, I've made the not-insubstantial decision to get an S6 - all because I fell in love with the original S4.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 02-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
There might be something to this. Nothing wrong with making a car an aspirational product for the younger set, even if they have no hope of affording one. I remember when the Ur-S4 was released in the early '90s. Did I ever drool over that one at the local car show, and then spent hours poring over every review, brochure or other piece of literature I could find on it. Years later I sold my 90Q (purchased used) and traded up to a used '93 S4.

I also drooled over the B5 S4 when it came out but (thankfully) skipped that generation and eventually bought a lightly-used B6 S4 Cab (after leaving the Audi fold for a while). Now, I've made the not-insubstantial decision to get an S6 - all because I fell in love with the original S4.
I just don't like the commercial.

I love the 3.7 second ad... love the past superbowl ads... this one, just doesn't connect. At all.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2 cents take on the commercial. Since the theme is about BRAVERY ... I think Audi is conveying the message that they are a leader in innovation and technology and are willing to venture out of the mainstream to deliver bold features to us. Just like that kid who was brave enough to kiss the prom queen as the black eye was worth it.

I guess one can think of the many past features including the recent LED DRLs which almost every car brand is copying, the full LED headlights and the ultra lightweight technology-aluminum exterior body panels for fuel efficiency.

So therefore, are Audi owners able to identify themselves with a car company that is bold/brave to test new innovations at the risk of a black eye?

Maybe I am all wrong with this.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 02-04-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I also drooled over the B5 S4 when it came out but (thankfully) skipped that generation...
Why "thankfully"? The B5 was/is a very moddable car and today's bolt-ons can net you 500HP pretty easily. I was sad to see mine go but I just didn't have room in the garage.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The tweet about sending LEDs to the MBUSA Superdome was a better action for the brand, IMHO.

I liked the commercial, of course, I remember a friend and I stealing a ride in his dad's 5000S back in the 80's, so yeah, totally connected for me.

Quick Reply: S6 Audi 2013 Big Game Commercial - "Prom" (Worth It)