S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 release date

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by noah123
My ETA has been preponed by 2 weeks
If "postponed" is later and "preponed" is earlier - does that make today "powned"?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove a phantom black S6 today. It had the comfort seats which I ordered too. I didn't know this, but the thigh and side bolsters all adjust at the same time. And the headrest is manually adjustable front to back. I know some A6 folks have complained about the headrest position, but I suspect the comfort seat headrest will fit everyone. I didn't try the ventilation, but the leather is finely perforated.

So inside the cabin it obviously is just like an A6, so nothing to else to report.

I guess the motor is the biggest difference and it's got some OMG torque. My stage 3 B5S4 had more peak torque, but the curve on this one just feels ruler flat. I didn't get to do a lot of low RPM punches, but over 2000 RPM it pulls like a freight train. I recall someone who participated in one of the Audi introduction events of the RS5/S6/S7/S8/TTRS thought that the S6 had much more lag than the 3.0T. I didn't get that feeling, but perhaps I'd grown used to the stage 3 B5 lag (which wasn't bad as far as turbo cars go).

In normal drive mode the DSG behaves very nicely. However in sport mode it tends to downshift early when slowing down and you can feel it. At parking lot speeds I experienced one or more jerks as others have reported with the S4. Folks who complain about it need to realize it's an automated MANUAL, not a traditional torque converter.

Downshifts with the paddles were buttery smooth. It was weird watching the tach needle "jump" from one RPM to another, rather than the more smooth movement you normally see. But I suppose this is old news to the S4 DSG crowd.

Inside the cabin the engine and exhaust noise is rather subdued. I've never wanted a louder exhaust for my B8S4, but it's something I'd seriously consider for the S6. I've heard some RS4's that sound like sex, so I'm hoping that the 4.0T can come close.

I didn't get to spend a lot of time in the car because it was a busy saturday, and secondly, it only had 15 miles of fuel left. I spent most of my time at the dealer playing with the new (to me) MMI interface.

The two cars at my dealer both came with Pirelli PZero tires FWIW. I'm still not crazy about the looks of the 20" wheel, but it's what I ordered because I prefer the stiffer side walls for better handling. My initial research on aftermarket wheels hasn't gotten very far because the car is so new. I've fallen in love with the HRE P40SC wheels in gloss charcoal, but then my rational side talked me out of spending 1/10 the cost of the car on wheels & tires. I guess I'll wait a bit to see what the various tuners/wheel vendors come up with.

My car is still on track to arrive in port on 9/27 with week of 10/8 delivery.

Estoril, LED, cold weather, B&O, front plate delete, black headliner, rear shade, 20" wheels, comfort seats.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC
I test drove a phantom black S6 today. It had the comfort seats which I ordered too. I didn't know this, but the thigh and side bolsters all adjust at the same time. And the headrest is manually adjustable front to back. I know some A6 folks have complained about the headrest position, but I suspect the comfort seat headrest will fit everyone. I didn't try the ventilation, but the leather is finely perforated.

So inside the cabin it obviously is just like an A6, so nothing to else to report.

I guess the motor is the biggest difference and it's got some OMG torque. My stage 3 B5S4 had more peak torque, but the curve on this one just feels ruler flat. I didn't get to do a lot of low RPM punches, but over 2000 RPM it pulls like a freight train. I recall someone who participated in one of the Audi introduction events of the RS5/S6/S7/S8/TTRS thought that the S6 had much more lag than the 3.0T. I didn't get that feeling, but perhaps I'd grown used to the stage 3 B5 lag (which wasn't bad as far as turbo cars go).

In normal drive mode the DSG behaves very nicely. However in sport mode it tends to downshift early when slowing down and you can feel it. At parking lot speeds I experienced one or more jerks as others have reported with the S4. Folks who complain about it need to realize it's an automated MANUAL, not a traditional torque converter.

Downshifts with the paddles were buttery smooth. It was weird watching the tach needle "jump" from one RPM to another, rather than the more smooth movement you normally see. But I suppose this is old news to the S4 DSG crowd.

Inside the cabin the engine and exhaust noise is rather subdued. I've never wanted a louder exhaust for my B8S4, but it's something I'd seriously consider for the S6. I've heard some RS4's that sound like sex, so I'm hoping that the 4.0T can come close.

I didn't get to spend a lot of time in the car because it was a busy saturday, and secondly, it only had 15 miles of fuel left. I spent most of my time at the dealer playing with the new (to me) MMI interface.

The two cars at my dealer both came with Pirelli PZero tires FWIW. I'm still not crazy about the looks of the 20" wheel, but it's what I ordered because I prefer the stiffer side walls for better handling. My initial research on aftermarket wheels hasn't gotten very far because the car is so new. I've fallen in love with the HRE P40SC wheels in gloss charcoal, but then my rational side talked me out of spending 1/10 the cost of the car on wheels & tires. I guess I'll wait a bit to see what the various tuners/wheel vendors come up with.

My car is still on track to arrive in port on 9/27 with week of 10/8 delivery.

Estoril, LED, cold weather, B&O, front plate delete, black headliner, rear shade, 20" wheels, comfort seats.
I live the HRE's too. But for the same reason I stayed away and got a set of Vossen instead. They look much better in person than pics.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input, Rob. I am going to order an S6. Would you mind telling me which dealer in GA you used? You can PM the info if needed. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jmk1
Thanks for the input, Rob. I am going to order an S6. Would you mind telling me which dealer in GA you used? You can PM the info if needed. Thank you!
I'm working with Jim Ellis Atlanta, mainly because I bought my last 2 Audis from them. I hear Audi of North Atlanta is good too, but they're further away.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ktm001
I live the HRE's too. But for the same reason I stayed away and got a set of Vossen instead. They look much better in person than pics.
Which Vossens did you get? I've been looking at the CV2, but it bugs me a little bit that the spokes don't go all the way to the outer rim. Which ones did you get and in what size/offset? Thx.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I found your post about your wheels. The CV7 looks nice too. What size tires are you going with? I personally don't care for stretched tires. When I contacted Vossen about S6 applications they suggested the stock tire size of 255/35 rather than 265/35 which I would prefer on a 20x9.

My other question is, do the spokes stick out further than the rim? It's kind of hard to tell in the web pictures.

I want to see pictures!

Last edited by RobC; 09-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RobC
I found your post about your wheels. The CV7 looks nice too. What size tires are you going with? I personally don't care for stretched tires. When I contacted Vossen about S6 applications they suggested the stock tire size of 255/35 rather than 265/35 which I would prefer on a 20x9.

My other question is, do the spokes stick out further than the rim? It's kind of hard to tell in the web pictures.

I want to see pictures!
Going with 265-35R20 with 20 x 10.5 with 30 ET. They do fit nice. The spokes do stick out a bit but not too much.
I am getting matte graphite to match my estriol blue S7.
Also tinting the tail lights, windows and putting carbon fiber film on hood line.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by noah123
Congrats!!! (Sedan to SUV....hehe )
I know, I know. But it's not a traditional SUV. It's like a big car. You should go to YouTube and listen to the exhaust of the GTS. It's astonishingly awesome! It has this growl and Porsche allows a popping to occur on quick releases of the pedal. Many reviews talk about the sound of the GTS. To me, it's the best looking car on the road. I have another P car. If I want more speed (and fun), I'll drive my Carerra S Cab )

I haven't been on this site for a few weeks. I just checked back in to see what's up. It sounds like the dates are similar. I haven't seen anyone who's car was pushed out to April, and then pulled in to 2012. My order was July (was told 12 weeks), pushed out till April. I cancelled in September.

I've never ordered a car from Porsche before. It's way different than Audi. My dealer gave me one of his GTS allotments for November. Porsche has monthly buckets. Mine made the November bucket. It's simple. Build in November, Ship in December. I just missed the October bucket (Ordered Sep 17ish). I'm not worried about the order. I'm not obsessing over the order. No one is. I checked. There is no forum where people commiserate about order dates. I'm glad actually. I feel Audi needs to grow up and get cars to people in a reasonable amount of time. A 9 month lead time for an ordered car is ridiculous.

I just didn't want to wait, not trust the dates, wonder about my dealer, keep calling about status updates. Blah blah blah. It just got to be too much. I also felt there was too much new technology in the first year of a new car in the S6. I think they need a year or two to get it figured out.

I'll keep lurking around here to see how people are doing. I read a post about someone getting the wrong seats. I had my dealer email me my order so that I could verify. I'd do the same if I were reading this right now
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the GTS.

Your complaints about the ordering for the S6 are not all warranted at Audi IMO. The GTS you are ordering is not a car that isn't released yet (as far as I am aware). When you placed an order in July for the S6 the car wasn't even released. Audi was not going to release the car until Sept/Oct.

The situation you are describing as the order process for the GTS is what I experienced when I ordered an A6 last December. I think it is more that your dealer didn't have a first allocation car available (mine was the first S6 allocated to the dealer I was working with). It seems to me your issue might be more with the dealership than with Audi. In another thread someone was mentioning their dealer put in an order even though they didn't have an allocation, because sometimes they go through...those are the dealerships to avoid in my opinion.

Now the current delay pushing out those cars that have been ordered and not produced has sounded to me like it relates to a supplier issue, not an Audi issue and I can't see changing that being an easy task for Audi.

Good luck with the GTS, I am sure it is a great vehicle and will treat you well.

Quick Reply: S6 release date