S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 release date

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche GTS is already out there..I saw one way back in July on my way to Seattle... Considering how many cars Porsche makes and sells, i don't even think a comparison to Audi makes sense...

Anyway back to GTS..wonderful sounding exhaust note..hehe
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Guys....another Monday...another week hoping that the car would come sooner..Its killing me... Hope all others are having better luck than me..
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by noah123
Guys....another Monday...another week hoping that the car would come sooner..Its killing me... Hope all others are having better luck than me..
Got a delivery date...but its still a month away.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwar99
Congrats on the GTS.

Your complaints about the ordering for the S6 are not all warranted at Audi IMO. The GTS you are ordering is not a car that isn't released yet (as far as I am aware). When you placed an order in July for the S6 the car wasn't even released. Audi was not going to release the car until Sept/Oct.

The situation you are describing as the order process for the GTS is what I experienced when I ordered an A6 last December. I think it is more that your dealer didn't have a first allocation car available (mine was the first S6 allocated to the dealer I was working with). It seems to me your issue might be more with the dealership than with Audi. In another thread someone was mentioning their dealer put in an order even though they didn't have an allocation, because sometimes they go through...those are the dealerships to avoid in my opinion.

Now the current delay pushing out those cars that have been ordered and not produced has sounded to me like it relates to a supplier issue, not an Audi issue and I can't see changing that being an easy task for Audi.

Good luck with the GTS, I am sure it is a great vehicle and will treat you well.
So funny. The guy with an S6 replies Well, I continue this discussion on therapy... I guess. I kind of feel like friends with some of you. I ordered a 12 Audi Q7 and took delivery after 3 months. My wife drives it with our kiddos. I know the Audi process. I do like the car. Contrary to your statement, my dealer told me it was released. It was confirmed by Audi who gave me a RTM date about a week later. Nice try, but your wrong. I'm trying to keep the facts as facts.

Audi is the problem, not the supply chain. It's simple. If they single source an item, and that item is delayed, that's poor planning by Audi for single source. People who exonerate the problem by blaming suppliers won't help fix the problem. It's easy for you to make claims with an S6 in your garage (much jealousy BTW). Supply issues are as old as businesses. They can be managed. I don't know how you could defend a company that takes 9 months to deliver a car. Pot Kettle Black. I would be driving my S6 if they didn't have a supply problem ( I do agree ), but still that's not putting cars in garages. 3 months to 9 months is a 3x slowdown. Could you imagine a home builder saying: Instead of 6 months, it's going to take a year and a half. The plumbers just wont show up. It's simple. The home builder finds another plumber or the buyer walks. Supply v. Demand. No supply and there is no demand. It is a problem. Audi is losing business. That is a problem no matter how you slice it.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by noah123
The Porsche GTS is already out there..I saw one way back in July on my way to Seattle... Considering how many cars Porsche makes and sells, i don't even think a comparison to Audi makes sense...

Anyway back to GTS..wonderful sounding exhaust note..hehe
I thought of your point after I posted. I agree with you in some aspects. Porsche doesn't sell nearly as much as Audi. I consider Porsche a full custom car company with great drivetrains ... and exhaust Back to orders. Ford can make a new pickup every 30 seconds every day for a year. That is a lot of trucks. They don't have a supply problem. It all depends on where you draw the line. Whatever demand ther is should be offset with a supply strategy that will enable a successful business.

I don't think there is a real competitor to the S6. It fills a huge niche. That market will keep die-hard S6 people like yourself. I had to spend another $25K on my GTS. I was not happy. If that was not in my budget, I would have waited till April I guess. The M5 is $100k+, C63AMG is pricey for a small car. The Panamera is too big and costly. The S6 is world class at a great price. I like its value/$.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just test drove the new S6. Wow! Amazing technology and great ride. But as others have mentioned, there is some noticeable lag in between pushing the pedal and the car getting up and going. But when it goes, it takes off smoothly and strongly, with an amazing exhaust note and turbo swoosh. From 0-40, my 2007 S6 has it beat in sheer power and neck snapping torque. Once you get going though, the new S6 just keeps flying up to the redline, something that my car cannot do given the air intake limitations. The sport seats with diamond stitching were very comfortable even with my back hurting at the present time. I would love ventilated seats; however, the sport seats would be very difficult to forego. I was able to toggle between the Dynamic and Comfort suspension settings and they are noticeably different. I thought that the Dynamic setting made the car very tight and nimble. When I took a turn at speed in Comfort mode, the body roll was significant. Otherwise, the suspension was very impressive. The car I drove was white with black interior and the black headliner. It had the 20" wheels and full LED lights. No Innovative Package or B&O so, mercifully, it was not one that I would buy. The car is available at Rockville Porsche Audi. I think sticker was $76k and change. I dealt with Nick Rotruck. He e-mailed me yesterday after they received the car. I worked with him when I was considering placing an order. Great guy. Lots of information, no pressure. He knows the cars sell themselves. I have no affiliation, whatsoever, with Rockville Audi. I just had very good dealing with Nick in sales and wanted to pass along his name to anyone interested.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
I dealt with Nick Rotruck. He e-mailed me yesterday after they received the car. I worked with him when I was considering placing an order. Great guy. Lots of information, no pressure. He knows the cars sell themselves. I have no affiliation, whatsoever, with Rockville Audi. I just had very good dealing with Nick in sales and wanted to pass along his name to anyone interested.
Good to know. I saved his info and will contact him when it's time to order.

http://www.rockville-audi.com/dealership/staff.htm#

I got to see a new S6 at Audi of Rochester yesterday. I had the opposite experience. The car was parked out front and could be seen as soon as anyone entered the lot. I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. I opened the door to look at the interior and a person came out and was less than welcoming. It seems that the car was sold and the owner was on the way to pick it up. I asked if I could see the engine and was denied. I walked around it several times taking everything in. I also noticed that the trim strip on the rear valance was damaged. I went in and informed the sales person. Looked like someone backed it into a square post.

I came back later and the owner, a younger man, was sealed in the car going over the MMI with the sales person. The engine was running and it's one of the quietest cars that I've ever heard. Nothing coming out from the exhaust pipes except a little condensation. Just a small amount of mechanical noise from the direct fuel injectors. Never spoke to the new owner or saw anything more of the car. I wonder if he noticed the damage?

I did decide that the diamond stitched seats are the way to go and I think the carbon fiber trim would be much better than the ash that was ordered with that car. Wood trim just looks out of place with that interior.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edporsche
I thought of your point after I posted. I agree with you in some aspects. Porsche doesn't sell nearly as much as Audi. I consider Porsche a full custom car company with great drivetrains ... and exhaust Back to orders. Ford can make a new pickup every 30 seconds every day for a year. That is a lot of trucks. They don't have a supply problem. It all depends on where you draw the line. Whatever demand ther is should be offset with a supply strategy that will enable a successful business.

I don't think there is a real competitor to the S6. It fills a huge niche. That market will keep die-hard S6 people like yourself. I had to spend another $25K on my GTS. I was not happy. If that was not in my budget, I would have waited till April I guess. The M5 is $100k+, C63AMG is pricey for a small car. The Panamera is too big and costly. The S6 is world class at a great price. I like its value/$.
I very much agree with the value/$ for the S6 - as did I think Car and Driver as there was a chart in their last issue with regards to value and performance.

Yes I did get my S6 , however I feel that it sounds like your Audi dealer was not fully truthful with you. As of July (I think it was July you said you placed the order) the S6 was not "released" by Audi. Maybe it should have been that the ordering was open, cars were being released to be manufactured or they had an open allocation? An RTM date doesn't mean the car is released to the public, just to be manufactured. My dealer put the order into the system for the car I got in March, it was released to manufacture in June, but didn't get built until August. I didn't receive the car until last week when Audi released them to be delivered. According to my dealer there were some cars sitting at port for a couple of weeks before being released. It sounds like there may be a differing interpretation as to what released means.

I understand your point about suppliers, but this is not a Ford pick-up truck that is being built. I wouldn't think many manufacturers would have multiple suppliers for parts on this type of car, especially if it has to do with the engine (just my thoughts, someone might be able to prove otherwise). Not to mention I would think it isn't as easy to find someone to manufacture the parts needed as getting another "plumber".

I don't disagree that Audi is losing business, however that may just be the price they pay for this current issue (which may just not be that easy to fix).

I am just trying to understand the position Audi might be in. My feeling is that the dealer, who is your connection with Audi in this circumstance, may have not have properly discussed the order with you...just my humble opinion. I do hope you stick around as I have enjoyed some of your posts and it is always great to hear about other great vehicles (and see pictures, and maybe a soundtrack or two of the exhaust note (hint, hint))
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I very much agree with the value/$ for the S6 - as did I think Car and Driver as there was a chart in their last issue with regards to value and performance.

Yes I did get my S6 , however I feel that it sounds like your Audi dealer was not fully truthful with you. As of July (I think it was July you said you placed the order) the S6 was not "released" by Audi. Maybe it should have been that the ordering was open, cars were being released to be manufactured or they had an open allocation? An RTM date doesn't mean the car is released to the public, just to be manufactured. My dealer put the order into the system for the car I got in March, it was released to manufacture in June, but didn't get built until August. I didn't receive the car until last week when Audi released them to be delivered. According to my dealer there were some cars sitting at port for a couple of weeks before being released. It sounds like there may be a differing interpretation as to what released means.

I understand your point about suppliers, but this is not a Ford pick-up truck that is being built. I wouldn't think many manufacturers would have multiple suppliers for parts on this type of car, especially if it has to do with the engine (just my thoughts, someone might be able to prove otherwise). Not to mention I would think it isn't as easy to find someone to manufacture the parts needed as getting another "plumber".

I don't disagree that Audi is losing business, however that may just be the price they pay for this current issue (which may just not be that easy to fix).

I am just trying to understand the position Audi might be in. My feeling is that the dealer, who is your connection with Audi in this circumstance, may have not have properly discussed the order with you...just my humble opinion. I do hope you stick around as I have enjoyed some of your posts and it is always great to hear about other great vehicles (and see pictures, and maybe a soundtrack or two of the exhaust note (hint, hint))
You know what? I apologize. I was trusting the dealer, but that has proven to be futile. They did tell me it was just open for orders when I walked in. They told me another person ordered one before me. You are most-likely right. Mea Culpa. I do like your assessment about my dealer. If they were just straight-forward, people would understand.

I think I saw an S6 yesterday. It looked awesome. It was driving orthogonal to my car so I didn't get a good look. I saw your pictures and wondered if I made the right call I was going to add wifi to the GTS. I asked for a price quote. Guess? $1640 for in car wifi in a Porsche. Ridiculous. No way Jose. They do have an option called online services. You can stream in Pandora, Facebook, maps etc from the Aha iPhone app (which is free). That sounds cool to me. The most ridiculous option I did order was "white background gauges" for $375. I wanted the gauges to match my Carerra S How vain is that?! Their ventilated seats pull air instead of pushing air. Kewl.

Re: Audi delay
If they would have made concessions, I would have probably held on. They didn't do anything. They seemed brazen about the delay initially. Only after I told them I was going to cancel did they start to suck up and offer encouragement. I think their recent sales boom has translated to this attitude. You may sense my frustrations with Audi at a few levels. I did want the S6 very badly. I had imagined a Q7, S6, and then an R8 in my garage (trade the Carerra S in on it). All white. Oh well, that won't happen. My son wants me to get the R8. Which I probably will.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edporsche
You know what? I apologize. I was trusting the dealer, but that has proven to be futile. They did tell me it was just open for orders when I walked in. They told me another person ordered one before me. You are most-likely right. Mea Culpa. I do like your assessment about my dealer. If they were just straight-forward, people would understand.

I think I saw an S6 yesterday. It looked awesome. It was driving orthogonal to my car so I didn't get a good look. I saw your pictures and wondered if I made the right call I was going to add wifi to the GTS. I asked for a price quote. Guess? $1640 for in car wifi in a Porsche. Ridiculous. No way Jose. They do have an option called online services. You can stream in Pandora, Facebook, maps etc from the Aha iPhone app (which is free). That sounds cool to me. The most ridiculous option I did order was "white background gauges" for $375. I wanted the gauges to match my Carerra S How vain is that?! Their ventilated seats pull air instead of pushing air. Kewl.

Re: Audi delay
If they would have made concessions, I would have probably held on. They didn't do anything. They seemed brazen about the delay initially. Only after I told them I was going to cancel did they start to suck up and offer encouragement. I think their recent sales boom has translated to this attitude. You may sense my frustrations with Audi at a few levels. I did want the S6 very badly. I had imagined a Q7, S6, and then an R8 in my garage (trade the Carerra S in on it). All white. Oh well, that won't happen. My son wants me to get the R8. Which I probably will.
I would be frustrated with the dealer as well. Especially since you were looking forward to getting the S6 (believe me I know that feeling!). I do want to see the pictures of the R8 if you get one, that is just one awesome car. Would you want to adopt a 40 year old child? I can support myself, just want to be able to ask you if I can borrow the car.

Quick Reply: S6 release date