S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Space between calipers and rim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them put the weights on the backside of the rim arms after normal balancing didn't clear the caliper. No issues after two long trips.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I have the same wheels. I had them put the weights almost up against the spokes, they were able to balance them.

You will however get damage from rocks that get in the wheels and trapped between the caliper and the wheel. Gouges the inside of the wheel and gouges the caliper. Both my front wheels got gouged inside. Oh well...
That's disappointing to hear. I was strongly considering these wheels for a winter setup. I'm leaning towards just using my stock 19" wheels year round and paying the dealership $85 twice a year for a mount and balance.

It's tough to justify $1200 for wheels and center caps after hearing about this scratching issue.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mirin S6
That's disappointing to hear. I was strongly considering these wheels for a winter setup. I'm leaning towards just using my stock 19" wheels year round and paying the dealership $85 twice a year for a mount and balance.

It's tough to justify $1200 for wheels and center caps after hearing about this scratching issue.
I have the weights mounted on the back of the rim arms, balanced fine and no clearance issues.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

The main culprit is the darn S6 front brakes are too big! LOL...
Even without the wheel weight clearance issues, these fins on the 19" wheels come incredibly close to the front part of the calipers. I think if you add some spacers or get the larger 20" size you can probably alleviate some of the potential rock chip issues. Although you will be paying more for both the larger wheel and tire set.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the wheels - shouldn't cost you $1200, I didn't pay that much...

You are going to have the same issue with the stock wheels with the rocks getting inside the wheels and trapped between the caliper and the wheel. I had scratches/gouges inside the wheel after about a month of ownership on the stock wheels. You won't notice it until you take them off to swap them. In my mind it is what it is and I am not going to worry about it. Love the car and it doesn't impact me driving it.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decim8r
The main culprit is the darn S6 front brakes are too big! LOL...
Even without the wheel weight clearance issues, these fins on the 19" wheels come incredibly close to the front part of the calipers. I think if you add some spacers or get the larger 20" size you can probably alleviate some of the potential rock chip issues. Although you will be paying more for both the larger wheel and tire set.
It isn't rock chips, and the spokes are not the issue - I haven't had any scratches/gouges on the face of the caliper. The gouging is on the interior of the wheel, can't really tell until you take the wheel off. Spacers would not provide any relief since it isn't the wheel spokes creating the issue. When they get rotated to the rear where the rotors are much smaller I would expect it might be more noticeable.

Last edited by mwar99; 11-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

It isn't rock chips, and the spokes are not the issue - I haven't had any scratches/gouges on the face of the caliper. The gouging is on the interior of the wheel, can't really tell until you take the wheel off. Spacers would not provide any relief since it isn't the wheel spokes creating the issue. When they get rotated to the rear where the rotors are much smaller I would expect it might be more noticeable.
Good excuse to buy Brembo brakes?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default brakes

Originally Posted by Decim8r
Good excuse to buy Brembo brakes?
From memory...B6/7 S4 14.4" front rotors, RS4, 15.4" (Gallardo) front rotors, S6, 16.4" front rotors. Audi may make pigs, but they all stop from 60 short of 120 feet (once again, from memory).
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would get the wheels - shouldn't cost you $1200, I didn't pay that much...
pm'd you on this

If anyone else knows of a deal on 19" Hartmann rotors, please let me know.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went ahead and ordered the 19" matte rotors from Achtuning with some Blizzak LM-32's (255/40/19) from tire rack. The cheaper LM-60's I had my eye on sold out. I put a comment in to Achtuning about the big brakes and weight placements.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll stop bumping all the winter tire and wheel threads now.

Quick Reply: Space between calipers and rim?