S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Streaming Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the AMI red cable to work with video do you need to have the latest MMI firmware ? I have a 2012 A7 Prestige and a 2013 S5 P.Plus, so I would like to know if just buying the cable will do it.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by garlandpr
For the AMI red cable to work with video do you need to have the latest MMI firmware ? I have a 2012 A7 Prestige and a 2013 S5 P.Plus, so I would like to know if just buying the cable will do it.
Thanks
I believe blow352 is using an AMI to RCA A/V cable for his setup so the red grommet AMI cable is not used in his case. If you are asking about any video being able to be played in a Nav+ Audi (2013 "B8.5" or 2012/13 C7), including the red AMI cable with an iPhone, iPad or late model iPod Touch, SDHC card, AMI-A/V cable etc., MMI software 0467 or later will support video. Your 2013 S5 should have the latest (probably 0566 or 0609). If you want videos to play while the car is moving, VIM (Video in Motion) needs to be modded with Vag-Com.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-01-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe blow352 is using an AMI to RCA A/V cable for his setup so the red grommet AMI cable is not used in his case. If you are asking about any video being able to be played in a Nav+ Audi (2013 "B8.5" or 2012/13 C7), including the red AMI cable with an iPhone, iPad or late model iPod Touch, SDHC card, AMI-A/V cable etc., MMI software 0467 or later will support video. Your 2013 S5 should have the latest (probably 0566 or 0609). If you want videos to play while the car is moving, VIM (Video in Motion) needs to be modded with Vag-Com.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blow352
I'm glad you're interested in setting up something similar to mine!

Few pointers though:
1) Roku/Apple TV has Facebook, Youtube, Weather, etc.
2) Apple TV has Airplay, Roku has PLEX so you can mirror your games on the MMI screen
2) Roku/Apple TV has small elegant remotes that fit in the palm of your hand. Google TV QWERTY/Touchpad remotes are HUGE!
3) Google TV units that I've looked into (Netgear NeoTV, Vizio Costar, Hi-sense plus) only have HDMI output. That means you need an HDMI to A/V converter. This is NOT a simple cord. A digital to analog signal converter unit tends to be fairly large and has to be powered.
4) If you're the driver..reasonably when will you be able to interact with the unit? I only stream on my long drives and as snagitseven said it is very distracting, and dangerous. I never run the unit in the city, only when I'm on the straight and empty interstates.

With that in mind, best of luck!

Thank you!
After some research, I think I will go with Roku XS.
Is there a reason you choose XD instead of XS?
XS has the remote control that works better right(via bluetooth or wifi I believe)? And it also have the A/V output.

Honestly I don't think I will use this to stream video a lot. Maybe once or twice a year....
But I still want to put this in the car...too cool!

I wanted a Google TV because of the richer apps choice and Chrome browser. But after I calm down and think again. I will probably never use it. For my passengers and myself, using our own device is very likely much faster and clear than using it on the MMI screen.

Thank you again.
I think I will buy the Roku 2 XS on Amazon...
and get the expensive AMI A/V adapter from my dealer
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sunnyp1227
Thank you!
After some research, I think I will go with Roku XS.
Is there a reason you choose XD instead of XS?
XS has the remote control that works better right(via bluetooth or wifi I believe)? And it also have the A/V output.

Honestly I don't think I will use this to stream video a lot. Maybe once or twice a year....
But I still want to put this in the car...too cool!

I wanted a Google TV because of the richer apps choice and Chrome browser. But after I calm down and think again. I will probably never use it. For my passengers and myself, using our own device is very likely much faster and clear than using it on the MMI screen.

Thank you again.
I think I will buy the Roku 2 XS on Amazon...
and get the expensive AMI A/V adapter from my dealer
Roku XS is the perfect choice because it comes standard with the RF/bluetooth remote (that I had to order separately). The XS also had an extra ethernet port and USB port!

The reason I went with the XD is it was what my local store had in stock. I usually order from Amazon, but since I did not know yet if this setup would work, I wanted to be able to return the unit immediately if it didn't.

Yes it is pretty cool to say your car can stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, etc. =)

How much is the A/V AMI cable? I just went in and asked my dealer for one and he handed it to me.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blow352
How much is the A/V AMI cable? I just went in and asked my dealer for one and he handed it to me.
WHAT!!!!!
MSRP is $80.
If you go to audiusaparts.com i think you can get it for ~$68.
It's about 15% off and no tax.

I think I will just go to dealer since I also got a 15% coupon from them.

I guess I should just go in and ask if they can give me one like you :P

Maybe it's because you got a S6!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went to Keyes Audi in Van Nuys and they asked me $121 plus tax..... I told them thanks... keep it.... I am crazy but not stupid... I will get it on the internet....
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice setup.

I almost went with the Roku and it would have been a lot simpler hookup but really wanted AIrPlay and iTunes Match.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2846216

Your armrest cubbies are laid out SO much better than the D4 where the AMI connecter is in the middle of the front and there is no power point.

For the cable, got mine from AudiUSAParts - something like $72 shipped.
When it comes to little things like that I don't even bother with my dealer since they usually have to order it anyway.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the Internet connection via the wifi via the g3 has such poor bandwidth that downloading a simple web page is painful. I could not imagine streaming Netflix with it. It would be great.

I can stream Netflix with my AT&T connection in the iPhone but the T mobile network here is pathetic!!!

Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I can stream Netflix with my AT&T connection in the iPhone but the T mobile network here is pathetic!!!

Mike
I had to use the hotspot feature of the phone while I was testing mine.
It's an alternative, especially on long trips where all I get is 2G with Audi Connect going down the interstate.

Quick Reply: Streaming Entertainment