S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Streaming Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping Audi has an upgrade path as Lte becomes more common in other cars.

The 3G is good enough for google maps and destination searches but as a source for wifi devices its a joke.

All the press people who gushed about the network and internet abilities of the "Audi wifi mobile hotspot" are not really technically able!! Test it in the real world before writing about it. And the real world is not downtown big city USA where the Internet speeds are fastest.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I'm hoping Audi has an upgrade path as Lte becomes more common in other cars.

The 3G is good enough for google maps and destination searches but as a source for wifi devices its a joke.

All the press people who gushed about the network and internet abilities of the "Audi wifi mobile hotspot" are not really technically able!! Test it in the real world before writing about it. And the real world is not downtown big city USA where the Internet speeds are fastest.
I agree. I would hope that the desire to continue selling the service was factored in to the hardware design/upgradability. Reverse tethering/the ability to share accounts would have been nice as well, as I'd imagine a fair portion of folks already have multiple data accounts. The industry seems to be dragging its feet on making that optimal (at least for consumers), though.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a different option, though at a higher price.

Apple iPhone 5

$40 Apple Lighting to HDMI Adapter
$ 5 HMDI cable
$40 HDMI to Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Adapter
$ 5 Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Cable
$80 Audi Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Cable AMI Cable

Optional
$40 Satechi iOS Bluetooth Remote Control

Priced out that's $170 for adapters and cables, or $210 with remote control. That said much of these items can be had for (much) less if you want to spend the time and order from numerous places. Amazon has everything expect the Audi cable which you can get from your dealer. I managed to pick up some used parts and put it all together including the remote for $150 with the remote.

For my money i'd rather use my iPhone 5 than a Roku, but if you want you can also use the HDMI to Adapter adapter above and use the new and MUCH faster (and currently better menu) Roku 3.

This set-up above doesn't cost much more than the previously mentioned Roku set-up.

I like that I can use my (unlimited LTE) data from the iPhone five which is much faster than the Audi 3G T-Mobile. Nothing says you can't Hotspot the iPhone 5 to the Roku, but it's also another $10 and you can't get unlimted and hotspot. At least on AT&T.

Also the Satechi remote is much more functional to me than the Roku remote, and FAR smaller and easier to handle while (cough) driving. It's black too so it blends in with my dash dash / interior.

Just throwing out another option people might not be aware of.

Since I always have my iPhone with me it's one less box in the car and an interface I use all day long.

What MAY be an issue for people is programs that don't auto rotate as the phone is obviously portrait and the Audi MMI screen landscape. If you jailbreak there are ways around that.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blow352
5V/1A Car Adapter/Power Inverter - $9.79 Radioshack
What's the part number on that guy. I'm having trouble locating it.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
What's the part number on that guy. I'm having trouble locating it.

Thanks.
No idea but I'll try to find out. Its Enercell 4.5V/1A to be exact
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 A6

I have not tried this, but thought I will ask this before I get home and try it. Just found this thread.

I have a 2013 A6 which came with the 30pin Apple connector.
Will I be able to stream video like youtube, netflix via that connector when connected to my iPhone?

I carry around one of those 30pin to av cable whenever I am travelling and used to plug the av cable into the hotel tv and just connect it to my phone to stream netflix. Just wondering if I can do it on the A6.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by actionplus
I have not tried this, but thought I will ask this before I get home and try it. Just found this thread.

Will I be able to stream video like youtube, netflix via that connector when connected to my iPhone?

I carry around one of those 30pin to av cable whenever I am travelling and used to plug the av cable into the hotel tv and just connect it to my phone to stream netflix. Just wondering if I can do it on the A6.

Thanks.
Just yesterday I had my iPhone 5 > Apple Digital Adapter (HDMI) to DVI / RCA adapter > Audi RCA AMI Cable.

I was able to get Audio and Video into the Audi screen. Only issue is that for program that's don't rotate when in horizontal the image appears as portrait on the Audi MMI with large black borders on the side.

The good thing about doing it this way is that most all programs allow video and audio off the cabled adapter, some programs don't allow video when using AirPlay.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default adapter

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
Just yesterday I had my iPhone 5 > Apple Digital Adapter (HDMI) to DVI / RCA adapter > Audi RCA AMI Cable.

I was able to get Audio and Video into the Audi screen. Only issue is that for program that's don't rotate when in horizontal the image appears as portrait on the Audi MMI with large black borders on the side.

The good thing about doing it this way is that most all programs allow video and audio off the cabled adapter, some programs don't allow video when using AirPlay.
So, you still need the Audi RCA cable then. I hoping I can just plug my iPhone4s directly to the Audi 30pin apple cable that came with the car.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
If you have 30 pin phone then it's Analog like the Audi so you can connect direct then. You need the Audi 30 pin with video though (red) not the audio only (blue) which came with most people's car's.

My iPhone 5 is Digital output (Lightning) so I have to convert from digital to analog. Far more complex.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Quick Reply: Streaming Entertainment