S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Streaming Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI

Thanks guys.
I tried the cable that come with my car. It only shows speaker signs when I touch my phone screen. I can either stream via bluetooth or dock connector but both shows a speaker sign.

I'll look in the 4F0051510R cable. Found one on amazon for $93. WOW!
I might look into the iPhone5 option as I have that on unlimited ATT plan anyways.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

actually to think about it. I might just go with a rca AMI cable. That way I am not limited to one 30pin or lightning connecting. I can plug any analog signal.
Now to search for that part number.
Not sure if anyone knows the make or name of the company that makes the actual connector that mates to the car. Maybe I can make an adapter myself? Anyone have done this?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by actionplus
actually to think about it. I might just go with a rca AMI cable. That way I am not limited to one 30pin or lightning connecting. I can plug any analog signal.
Now to search for that part number.
Not sure if anyone knows the make or name of the company that makes the actual connector that mates to the car. Maybe I can make an adapter myself? Anyone have done this?
That will work, however, with an A/V (or audio only) composite AMI cable, unlike using a 30 pin (for music and video) or with a Lightning adapter (audio only) red AMI cable, you will not be able to control the iDevice via the MMI; only from the iDevice itself.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
Here's a different option, though at a higher price.

Apple iPhone 5

$40 Apple Lighting to HDMI Adapter
$ 5 HMDI cable
$40 HDMI to Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Adapter
$ 5 Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Cable
$80 Audi Composite Video / Stereo Audio RCA Cable AMI Cable

Optional
$40 Satechi iOS Bluetooth Remote Control

Priced out that's $170 for adapters and cables, or $210 with remote control. That said much of these items can be had for (much) less if you want to spend the time and order from numerous places. Amazon has everything expect the Audi cable which you can get from your dealer. I managed to pick up some used parts and put it all together including the remote for $150 with the remote.

For my money i'd rather use my iPhone 5 than a Roku, but if you want you can also use the HDMI to Adapter adapter above and use the new and MUCH faster (and currently better menu) Roku 3.

This set-up above doesn't cost much more than the previously mentioned Roku set-up.

I like that I can use my (unlimited LTE) data from the iPhone five which is much faster than the Audi 3G T-Mobile. Nothing says you can't Hotspot the iPhone 5 to the Roku, but it's also another $10 and you can't get unlimted and hotspot. At least on AT&T.

Also the Satechi remote is much more functional to me than the Roku remote, and FAR smaller and easier to handle while (cough) driving. It's black too so it blends in with my dash dash / interior.

Just throwing out another option people might not be aware of.

Since I always have my iPhone with me it's one less box in the car and an interface I use all day long.

What MAY be an issue for people is programs that don't auto rotate as the phone is obviously portrait and the Audi MMI screen landscape. If you jailbreak there are ways around that.
Can you post links to the Amazon parts? I think I found most but want to make sure so I can duplicate your setup. A picture would be great too. Just picked up a 2013 A8 and would love to have Waze up while driving. Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by booshwa
Can you post links to the Amazon parts? I think I found most but want to make sure so I can duplicate your setup. A picture would be great too. Just picked up a 2013 A8 and would love to have Waze up while driving. Thanks
I'm always playing with different stuff in the A7. I currently have a Roku XS. The problem with the iPhone set-up was that too many applications don't support landscape. So you end up with something on the Audi MMI screen that looks like a portrait iPhone screen in the middle of the Audi MMi screen with huge black bars on both sides. For me that was a deal breaker. I wanted to use it mainly for MOG, Pandora, Slacker, Rdio, etc and NONE on them support portrait on the iPhone. Music is really where Audi is the let down.

For Navi the set-up would work as Navigon, TomTom, Waze, and all the others support Portrairt or Landscape but since I have Google Earth I don't use the phone. Heck I sold my iPad since I got the Audi since the MMI is so awesome, barring the lame music options.

The other KILLER for me was that using the HDMI Apple adapter I couldn't get video off the Vudu app. That doesn't work for me. I wanted something I could do streaming music with artwork in the car and movie at hotels while on vacation with as few devices as possible. Sorry Apple.

Needless to say I have no photo's of the phone set-up or any links.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Raspberry Pi

Well, got myself a Raspberry Pi. $35 and a 4G Sd stick and it's a xbmc media player. Got it running in the house. Could be another alternative to ATV or Roku.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by actionplus
Well, got myself a Raspberry Pi. $35 and a 4G Sd stick and it's a xbmc media player. Got it running in the house. Could be another alternative to ATV or Roku.
I thought about about this as well. Here were my thoughts.

Can be usb powered in the car by proper adapter.
Can be controlled by Apple remote.
Can stream from Audi Connect

No clean and simple car integration for streaming music from MOG, Rdio, Pandora, Slacker, etc
Doesn't work with Vudu, iTunes, Amazon Video, etc
Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blow352
Hi Guys,

Inspired by the post "Apple TV, Tech Mods, and More" in the A6 (C6) subforum (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845985). I decided to try my own setup for streaming entertainment tv in my 2013 S6.

Components:
Roku 2 XD - $79.99 (alternatives: Roku 3, Apple TV)
AMI A/V Composite Cable - $0 from dealer (Red, White, Yellow cable)
5V/1A Car Adapter/Power Inverter - $9.79 Radioshack

Steps:
1) Roku box comes with A/V cable that plugs right into the AMI A/V Composite Cable.
2) Either use an inverter + power cable that comes with Roku, or go to Radioshack and buy a direct Car Adapter that outputs 5V/1A
3) Turn on car, select media, Roku will boot up, very easy and intuitive walkthrough that will use the internet through Audi Connect Wireless
4) You are streaming Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Disney (+600 other channels) in about 30 minutes.

Notes:
- Output through A/V composite cable is 480p (very clear on MMI screen)
- 3G connection is fast enough, takes 30 seconds on Netflix to start a movie, no buffering or stopping during trip

ENJOY!

Cannot locate the 4.5V/1A adapter you are referring to. Radio Shack doesn't carry it. Further what is the exact size adapter you are plugging into the roku. If I can find a 4.5V/1A adapter what is the female adapter connection you put on the end of it to plug into the ROKU (what size)? I tried every size at radio shack and none of them fit. Also why a 5V and not a 12V?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
Cannot locate the 4.5V/1A adapter you are referring to. Radio Shack doesn't carry it. Further what is the exact size adapter you are plugging into the roku. If I can find a 4.5V/1A adapter what is the female adapter connection you put on the end of it to plug into the ROKU (what size)? I tried every size at radio shack and none of them fit. Also why a 5V and not a 12V?
Hey Wolfepack. I bought the 4.5/1A Enercell Adaptaplug from Radioshack. Since my setup is across the country right now (visitng family for holidays), I can't check the color of the band/size of the adaptaplug for you for a few weeks. In order to get the correct adaptaplug ending, I just brought my Roku in and the Radioshack guy fitted every end until it fit correctly into the power port of the Roku. Sorry this doesn't help you directly.

The wall outlet plug that comes with the Roku is rated at 5V output so I bought that 5V instead of 12V Enercell.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Roku 3 is 12V. (most) of the other Roku model's are 5V.

With 5V you can use a powerport (cigeratte) to USB adapater and the proper USB to Roku cable. Car is DC. USB is DC. and Roku is DC. I have had a Roku (not 3) running this way for months running off a power / quality (2.1A) USB adapter. No problems.

While technically possible to do the same thing with the 12V Roku 3 going from a 12V powerport to Roku cable it's not quite as easy.

I've hooked up a Roku 3 in my car using a dead silent and very silent Duracell DC > AC inventor. Not as pretty but works just fine.

Here's what I used to hook up a Roku 2XD. Also as of last night several of the Roku models can now be ROOTED.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1m USB to Type N Barrel 5V DC Power Cable - USB A to 5.5mm DC (USB2TYPEN1M): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1m USB to Type N Barrel 5V DC Power Cable - USB A to 5.5mm DC (USB2TYPEN1M): Computers & Accessories

Quick Reply: Streaming Entertainment