S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Lag?

Hello, all. Recently came into possession of a '13 S6. Long story short, I was out driving tonight, in dynamic mode and manual shifting, and I noticed that there was a delay of as much as 2 seconds between pressing the accelerator and getting a response from the engine. At first I just assumed it was stupid amounts of turbo lag, but a quick google search didn't turn up a lot of other people mentioning it so now I'm curious.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

When I test drove a 2013 S6, I noticed some lag in the initial press of the accelerator. Not a lot of lag, but it was very obvious to me because I'm used to driving a naturally aspirated V8 BMW. I think it might have been 1 second of lag? It definitely was not 2 seconds, though.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

There actually has been a lot of talk about this. However, I want to change your word "lag" to "hesitation". Lag would refer to the turbos spooling up which this isnt the effet of. This is more a delay in the pedal being pressed and the drive-by-wire sending the info to the computer.

I have played around with this the point where I can be stopped, stomp on the pedal very quickly down to the floor and release, and nothing will happen.

This is definitely more present when the transmission is in "D". There have been times where I press on the pedal from a dead stop trying to turn somewhere and the hesitation is almost so bad I almost get hit.

I have this already in as a complaint at AOA.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
There actually has been a lot of talk about this. However, I want to change your word "lag" to "hesitation". Lag would refer to the turbos spooling up which this isnt the effet of. This is more a delay in the pedal being pressed and the drive-by-wire sending the info to the computer.

I have played around with this the point where I can be stopped, stomp on the pedal very quickly down to the floor and release, and nothing will happen.

This is definitely more present when the transmission is in "D". There have been times where I press on the pedal from a dead stop trying to turn somewhere and the hesitation is almost so bad I almost get hit.

I guess the APR tune helps with this? They actually make reference to this on the site.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

In D I would assume it was searching for a lower gear.

Sometimes it almost feels like the clutch isn't engaged yet. I would assume (hope) that the DSG keeps the clutch engaged even during off-throttle.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any idea if this can eventually be addressed through a recall or software update?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
In D I would assume it was searching for a lower gear.

Sometimes it almost feels like the clutch isn't engaged yet. I would assume (hope) that the DSG keeps the clutch engaged even during off-throttle.
Yes, there are times when I feel like the clutch has no clue what gear it wants to be in. A couple times while accelerating from a coast I have noticed a hesitation and then a surge. Its like the transmission releases the gear but goes back into the same gear(I can see this via indicator on dash).

The problem is it goes into the higher gears way too quickly(3rd by 15mph, 7th by 45mph). It has too many gears to decide what to downshift to when you actually do want to accelerate or pass someone. This is why when you are in "S" mode it keeps it in the lower gears longer and barely goes into 7th even on the highway.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Decim8r
Any idea if this can eventually be addressed through a recall or software update?
Hard to say. Im sure if they get enough chatter about it they will have to look into it. The squeeky wheel gets the grease right?

Anyone that has an issue with this should call AOA and make a it known. Complaining on the forum doesnt really help any of us in the long run even though it creates good discussion.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to say. Im sure if they get enough chatter about it they will have to look into it. The squeeky wheel gets the grease right?

Anyone that has an issue with this should call AOA and make a it known. Complaining on the forum doesnt really help any of us in the long run even though it creates good discussion.
I just submitted feedback to AoA via their website that I feel the hesitation is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. I don't have issue with the behavior from your experiment from a standstill, but the delay when trying to get back on the gas after braking is a big problem when turning across traffic, merging into traffic, or switching lanes.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very real issue not your imagination.

I first heard about it in an S5 cab which a friend returned after 1800 miles due to being concerned he would get killed because the car pauses before going.

Over time you will retrain your foot on push the gas pedal far enough to get he car to move with jumping to warp speed. But when you drive your other car you'll be jackrabbit starting that one. LOL.

Perhaps a recode will come. It took 5 or more years for Audi to come clean with the RS6 DRC issue and try to fix that. (They failed, thus the KWV3 swap).

Mike

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag?