S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Yes, there are times when I feel like the clutch has no clue what gear it wants to be in. A couple times while accelerating from a coast I have noticed a hesitation and then a surge. Its like the transmission releases the gear but goes back into the same gear(I can see this via indicator on dash).

The problem is it goes into the higher gears way too quickly(3rd by 15mph, 7th by 45mph). It has too many gears to decide what to downshift to when you actually do want to accelerate or pass someone. This is why when you are in "S" mode it keeps it in the lower gears longer and barely goes into 7th even on the highway.
submitted feeedback to aoa
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC
I just submitted feedback to AoA via their website that I feel the hesitation is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. I don't have issue with the behavior from your experiment from a standstill, but the delay when trying to get back on the gas after braking is a big problem when turning across traffic, merging into traffic, or switching lanes.
Rob, Excelsior and Hyper - you guys have me a bit spooked with this "hesitation" issue. I currently have a naturally aspirated V8 BMW engine like SubterFUSE that gives me instant throttle response whether in drive or sport mode. I am slightly more fortunate than many on the site in that I did get a brief S7 test drive, but I was instructed not to push the car too hard, so I never had a chance to experience the hesitation. The idea that I might be making a left turn and have to floor the gas pedal to get the car moving ahead of cross traffic is very unappealing. And if the tranny is regularly gear-hunting that will drive me nuts - I had a tranny years ago that constantly lagged and surged after I had braked in traffic and I eventually got rid of the car.

I am 3-4 weeks away from my delivery and I know my pre-purchase test drive won't be long or vigorous enough for me to figure out how bad my car's hesitation issue will be. So how bad is it for you guys? Is it a minor, occasional nuisance or does it recur often enough that you think it is a material problem with the car? And what's the likelihood the transmission will learn how you drive and minimize or eliminate the problem? Or that software can fix it? I really want this car, but I also want to have no regrets and this is the first issue raised on both boards that has me concerned...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to push the car to experience this phenomenon. For me, it's an issue when you get on the gas immediately after braking. It's not a matter of flooring it because that doesn't affect the duration of the hesitation. If you give it a little bit of throttle, it sits there for a second or two then goes as you would expect. If you floor it, you get the same hesitation, but then it goes at full throttle.

My understanding is that APR's tune removes this hesitation. Perhaps Arin or someone else from APR can chime in. They advertise that their software allows left foot braking -- in other words you can apply the brake and throttle simultaneously (for trail braking on a track for example). I wonder if this hesitation we're talking about is simply a result of the computer normally not letting you brake and accelerate at the same time.

I consider this a minor annoyance and you basically learn not to make any aggressive maneuvers immediately after braking. This personally would not deter me from getting an S6. What I find more annoying is the transmission's reluctance in normal driving to shift down to first unless you're stopped. It's just conservative programming to maximize fuel mileage but it bugs me. I often find myself going into manual mode to shift down to first when I want maximum power without coming to a complete stop.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if any of this is related to Audi's past problems and paranoia of unintended acceleration.

In all the glowing reviews and tests, it has never been mentioned. I would think that the knowledge that it happens and judicious use of manual mode, reasonably competent drivers can adjust for it.

If it turns out to be a major issue, after break-in, an APR tune may be in the cards. I think I'd rather risk a warranty problem than drive a car that had me cringing at left turns or stop-and-go traffic.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those of you that have the Adaptive Cruise Control on the car, do you notice this lag when the car begins to resume acceleration? I'd be interested to see if there is a delay in throttle response for this scenario as well.

IMHO, this could be an accident waiting to happen.

1. Stop and Go traffic where the person slows down then notices the traffic free up and begins to accelerate, noticing that there is no response presses down on the accelerator more firmly and rear ends the car ahead once throttle response engages.

2. Slow roll to a stop or yield sign and trying to roll out accelerating from oncoming traffic, but not getting a response and being side swiped on driver side (US left side) or from behind from oncoming traffic.

Are the two above real accidents just waiting to happen? I can imagine Audi with a lawsuit or recall on it's hands...Ala Toyota and the stuck accelerator...Only in this case no accelerator...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I dont have ACC on my car so I cant comment on the above.

However, I just spent a week driving a half tank on full Dynamic mode and the transmission in S mode every time. I never got any hesitation once while driving like that. The car felt spry with power instantly accessible in any gear. If anything, with light peddle pressure the car wanted to just leap from a stop.

Today at the halfway mark on my distance to empty I switched back to using the transmission in D mode(but still in Dynamic for drive select).

I didnt notice any hesitation that I had experienced before. The car seems to have adapted to the driving style of the S mode for some reason. I will try this again when driving home tonight but it seems this car adapts very quickly to the way its being used(for better or worse).
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by noah123
submitted feeedback to aoa
Can you send a link of where you reported this so we are all getting our concerns to the same place?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by thebossbot
Can you send a link of where you reported this so we are all getting our concerns to the same place?
877-354-2834
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up my car and drove about 50 miles so far. The hesitation is definitely there and is most noticeable when you 1) make a left turn after waiting for a break in oncoming traffic and 2) switching lanes in moderate to heavy traffic. My initial reaction was to give it more gas but it doesn't remove the delay and in fact results in head snapping acceleration once the power does kick in. I can see how this can make for a dicey situation.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the Email an Audi Customer Experience Advocate link at this page:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/a...ontact_us.html

I know someone reads it because I got a call back the last time I used it when I had a question about rebates.

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag?