S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

V6 for S6 - say it ain't so

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V6 for S6 - say it ain't so

Page 061 May 2016 Car & Driver mag states that the 2018 S6 will have "a twin turbocharged V6 with around 400 horsepower" while the RS6 (in US?) and RS7 will keep the twin-turbocharged V8. I was afraid of this - maybe reason to buy a 2017. However, some of the other comments seem positive developments. V8 - RIP thanks to CAFE.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
Page 061 May 2016 Car & Driver mag states that the 2018 S6 will have "a twin turbocharged V6 with around 400 horsepower" while the RS6 (in US?) and RS7 will keep the twin-turbocharged V8. I was afraid of this - maybe reason to buy a 2017. However, some of the other comments seem positive developments. V8 - RIP thanks to CAFE.
bummer. coming from another v8 to the s6, it was a definite selling point for me. i know they'll probably do great things with the v6, but it may not feel as special or differentiated (which seems to be the plan for the s cars, in some ways at least).
Old 04-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That would suck....sure it'll have some guts to it but it'll still be a V6. I'm an old school muscle car guy....no replacement for displacement!!
Potential good note is it may have the prior generation (ours) have a stronger resale value.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 cylinders can never replicate the sound of a V8. Yup, I'm a dinosaur and proud of it! Now, where's that dang typewriter?!?!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't like this at all.... unless it's possible to deliver better engine results? I have no clue when it comes to engine design, I assume that a modern V8 would always out perform a a modern V6? (Also I'm not impressed/don't care with MPG performance, if I was I'd get a Prius.)

In 2-3 years when I'm shopping around from a new car, and if the S6 has less HP and less TQ, and lower 0-60 times, I'm not sure I'd be remotely interested getting into the latest MY S6. Think this is a marketing move to get people like us interested in the S7 ands S8?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Marketing

Either Audi sells more electrics/hybrids and 4 cyl high mpg vehicles or it eliminates V8s in large numbers. Its a CAFE mpg thing that they have to meet as a company. They can keep a few V8s in the RS7 and such, since they are low volume and don't detract much from the corporate mpg goals. All things being equal, the V6 will get better mpg. Maybe I'll keep my S6 more than 3 years, maybe much longer.

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Don't like this at all.... unless it's possible to deliver better engine results? I have no clue when it comes to engine design, I assume that a modern V8 would always out perform a a modern V6? (Also I'm not impressed/don't care with MPG performance, if I was I'd get a Prius.)

In 2-3 years when I'm shopping around from a new car, and if the S6 has less HP and less TQ, and lower 0-60 times, I'm not sure I'd be remotely interested getting into the latest MY S6. Think this is a marketing move to get people like us interested in the S7 ands S8?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like everyone is headed this way. My wife's '15 GL450 has a V6TT. '13 & '14 models came with a V8TT. The V6TT supposedly has the same HP & torque numbers as the normally aspirated V8 found in the X164 (2012 models and older). I personally don't mind the V6TT in this heavy SUV since it's my wife's DD/family hauler but the engine doesn't sound sexy at all. Blame it on the CAFE standards and I have my own theory but that could be a whole new thread.
The V6TT in the S6/7 will bring in more profit and people being people (sheep) will acclimate to the screw job, I mean, changes. The rest of the folks who can afford the RS models and higher will most likely opt for them. Sowing machine sounding engines are the future, my friends. Just shoot me now!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Looks like everyone is headed this way. My wife's '15 GL450 has a V6TT. '13 & '14 models came with a V8TT. The V6TT supposedly has the same HP & torque numbers as the normally aspirated V8 found in the X164 (2012 models and older). I personally don't mind the V6TT in this heavy SUV since it's my wife's DD/family hauler but the engine doesn't sound sexy at all. Blame it on the CAFE standards and I have my own theory but that could be a whole new thread.
The V6TT in the S6/7 will bring in more profit and people being people (sheep) will acclimate to the screw job, I mean, changes. The rest of the folks who can afford the RS models and higher will most likely opt for them. Sowing machine sounding engines are the future, my friends. Just shoot me now!
I've never really cared too much about the "sound" of a car, at least I thought I did'nt... Funny thing is now that I have the S6 and pull it into Dynamic with S-mode, I have to admit I love the way the car sounds.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A few other cars that use a twin turbo 6:

911 turbo, GTR, and...a Lykan Hypersport.

Not necessarily a bad thing. All in how robust the motor is and how it is tuned. That being said, the hedonitic appeal of a TT V8 can not be denied.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
A few other cars that use a twin turbo 6:

911 turbo, GTR, and...a Lykan Hypersport.

Not necessarily a bad thing. All in how robust the motor is and how it is tuned. That being said, the hedonitic appeal of a TT V8 can not be denied.

The 911 and the Lykan Hypersport are 3000 lb cars, and the GTR is 700 lbs lighter than the S6. And aren't all those cars like 2 inches off the ground (exaggerating) idk, again I'm not an expert on HP and TQ and curb weight, are all those examples not exactly a "compareison"?

I was doing some research on the CAFE, and I guess right from the get go back in 2011 VW/Audi was not happy with the CAFE adjustments that Obama made, Now with the diesel scandal, VW/Audi I guess had considered withdrawing from the US market, which got the attention of lawmakers. (They would not want VW/Audi to leave: lost jobs etc.)

Quick Reply: V6 for S6 - say it ain't so