S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

2020 S6 Available to Be Built Online

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 S6 Available to Be Built Online

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-s6
Old 10-24-2019, 08:31 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Interesting...no carbon trim and no flat bottom steering wheel?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to mention the Prestige price doesn't match what the press release said ... and the black optic package cannot be added to the build without promoting an error message. Here's hoping they fix the bugs soon.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Admannj
Not to mention the Prestige price doesn't match what the press release said ... and the black optic package cannot be added to the build without promoting an error message. Here's hoping they fix the bugs soon.
Works OK for me
Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I read the specifications once I completed the build -- speed limited to 130? 0-60 5.1.
Hmm.

So, I configured a 2020 A6 -- same acceleration same speed limiter.
Again, hmm.

There is something that needs to be fixed in this configurator.

If I could I would order this S6 with UHP A/S Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's+ and leave the limiter "off" -- the S6 comes with summer-only UHP or Max Performance tires AND no speed limiter. Well 155.

I couldn't find any mention that the "standard" suspension was an adaptive sport "S" suspension with a steel suspension as the option. A steel suspension seems to be standard, is this possible?

If this is true (the current configurator, i.e.), I think I'd just wait, stand pat with my 2018 S4 Prestige and see what's up with the next S4. Or, perhaps I'd max out an A6 and save a bit.

The configurator is bovine scatology.

GAWD, I hope so, anyway.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 10-27-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I read the specifications once I completed the build -- speed limited to 130? 0-60 5.1.
Hmm.

Again, hmm.

If I could I would order this S6 with UHP A/S Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's+ and leave the limiter "off" -- the S6 comes with summer-only UHP or Max Performance tires AND no speed limiter. Well 155.

I couldn't find any mention that the "standard" suspension was an adaptive sport "S" suspension with a steel suspension as the option. A steel suspension seems to be standard, is this possible?

If this is true (the current configurator, i.e.), I think I'd just wait, stand pat with my 2018 S4 Prestige and see what's up with the next S4. Or, perhaps I'd max out an A6 and save a bit.

GAWD, I hope so, anyway.
Air is standard.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Hmm.

Again, hmm.

GAWD, I hope so, anyway.
no All Seasons in 21's yet ! UGH
Old 10-28-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Of course the dealer can -- within limits -- "suggest" anything they want to their customers. In EXTREME SW Ohio (Cincinnati) we have a bit of cold during the winter. For a few days. We sometimes, but not always, have accumulating snow -- less frequently every year, so it seems -- when it does accumulate road crews typically banish the snow to the roadsides where they slowly disappear, each day getting blacker and blacker. Wet roads, streets, and highways, yep, we do have those and sometimes -- not very often -- we have a patch or two of ice.

All-season tires + Cincinnati + "American tendencies" = the reason all-seaons were designed in the first place. Most Audis come with A/S tires or offer them as no-charge options, or they come with A/S tires with "summer-only" tires as options. Three companies (maybe more) have competent all-seasons for those of us who like "S" Audis. Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli. The Tire Rack sells them (Costco sells the Michelin's, too). They are UHP rated and although a compromise, most folks RARELY push their Audis so hard that they would really need summer-only and dedicated winter tires. I've purchased the top-of-line-line Continentals and Michelin tires for two Audi SQ5's and two S4s. No complaints and no "winter" issues. Perhaps if I pushed my S4s harder, I would have benefitted from the short lifespan, summer only UHP or Max Perf tires. I doubt it though since my car commutes to and from work and to and from Columbus Ohio (100 miles one-way straight up I-71). I rarely get above 85MPH, even more rarely above 90MPH and only do I brush 100+ unless the Interstate is virtually empty. I "carve" the radom back-road once in a while, again, traffic permitting.

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ makes perfect sense for my circumstances. I would expect the same would be true for many, perhaps most folks at my latitude.

So, I buy the new S6 -- and if I take delivery before April, 2020, I also have to buy $1,000+ worth of tires since the summer-only shoes that come with the thing become brittle at just over 40 degrees (F).

Audi USA must have people (in Virginia) who know the above to be both accurate and true. Maybe the number of cars, worldwide, that would "need" UHP All-seasons is so small it "jus' ain't worth it," but I think Audi is -- ever so slightly -- pissing off folks who, like me, are not fans of summer-only rubber.

I have to assume this is the case (the smallness of the take on UHP A/S tires) since the origin of the reasons for doing things like they currently do is almost always money.

Bummer.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and love them. I live in St. Louis and one day it will be 20degrees the next is 60 degrees and snow is gone. I have never had an issue running AS tires. The second someone makes A All season UHP tire for he C8 S6 Im all over it. But if not I guess the Q7 will get more running time in the winter.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CHIO
I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and love them. I live in St. Louis and one day it will be 20degrees the next is 60 degrees and snow is gone. I have never had an issue running AS tires. The second someone makes A All season UHP tire for he C8 S6 Im all over it. But if not I guess the Q7 will get more running time in the winter.
Well, there is an all-season Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for the 20" wheels, but I can't find any UHP A/S (yet) for the 21's.

My thought here in Cincinnati -- the pothole capital of the mid-west -- is NEVER to buy OEM wheels/tires that use LESS than an aspect ratio of 40. This rules out the 21's for me. When we bought the new Q8 with the YR-1 Package, we were happy to note that the 22" tires were 285 x 40.

I know both the styling and "alleged" performance improvements the plus-sized wheels and tires promise, but, in practice, I've not found the performance promises meant much, although I do admit to being somewhat swayed cosmetically by the optional wheels Audi offers. Said it before: If the "look" of the 21" wheels could be offered in the 20" size as a PAID option, I'd go for them without hesitation.

Those low profile sidewalls (35%) are lookers -- but, overall, I find them far more likely to "fail" in actual use, despite their siren-like beauty ("pick me, pick me, you'll look so much better riding around on me!") -- I've managed to resist now for the last couple of cars. I kept bending wheels when I "chose unwisely."

I'd say our winters in Cincinnati have to be similar to yours in SL.

Can't use the summer-only rubber, the tires just gets so brittle in our winter, they're dangerous. Love my A/S 3+'s though.

Quick Reply: 2020 S6 Available to Be Built Online