S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

2020 S6 Order Guide USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I am a huge Audi fan. I've had S4's and an S6. Also have had two SQ5's. Currently have a 2018 S4 and a 2019 Q8.

With no offense and speaking only of SW OH and perhaps 100 miles in any direction, this car will be a slow seller, even if it would be heavily discounted.

The current A6, A7, and A8's are practically rusting sales are so slow. The relentless march forward and upward of the SUV/CUV (whatever) continues. An SQ8? Get in line to order one and bring a sandwich.

Hell, even an SQ7 would be a hot ticket.

Add the R to the 7 and 8 and make room for a select few to get in that (shorter) line.

This S6 will probably be an awesome "car" -- too bad fewer and fewer people want "cars."

Perhaps not an "epic" fail, but this car will be admired but not bought -- especially at this price point. Audi would make more sales at this price point with an RSQ5 than a hyper expensive S6. Those who buy will love the thing and NOT love the "retained value."

Our tastes are for ever hotter and more lux "SUVs" -- those dealers who take the chance on inventory will probably only get "one" knowing they could be left holding the bag when this awesome performance CAR is overlooked for what might be a less capable SUV.

Where's the damn SQ8 for pity's sake -- now THAT's the ticket!
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Between the trio of Germans, Audi is the only one to introduce a new model that makes less horsepower and is slower than the outgoing model. Wasn’t the 0-60 official time of the 4.0T S6 in the high 3’s? So you go from a 450-hp V8 with 3.9 seconds 0-60 to a 2.9 V6 with 444 hp and half a second slower. Is this supposed to compete with the 523-hp 2020 BMW M550i Xdrive? Good luck

Last edited by Bada Bing; 08-02-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corgiman (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Between the trio of Germans, Audi is the only one to introduce a new model that makes less horsepower and is slower than the outgoing model. Was t the 0-60 official time of the 4.0T S6 in life h high 3’s? So you go from a 450-hp V8 with 3.9 seconds 0-60 to a 2.9 V6 with 444 hp and half a second slower. Is this supposed to compete with the 523-hp 2020 BMW M550i Xdrive? Good luck
Audi rated the 18 S6 at 4.4 for 0-60
Old 07-30-2019, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Audi always understates both horsepower and acceleration numbers.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 19hole
Audi always understates both horsepower and acceleration numbers.
Indeed
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I am a huge Audi fan. I've had S4's and an S6. Also have had two SQ5's. Currently have a 2018 S4 and a 2019 Q8.

With no offense and speaking only of SW OH and perhaps 100 miles in any direction, this car will be a slow seller, even if it would be heavily discounted.

The current A6, A7, and A8's are practically rusting sales are so slow. The relentless march forward and upward of the SUV/CUV (whatever) continues. An SQ8? Get in line to order one and bring a sandwich.

Hell, even an SQ7 would be a hot ticket.

Add the R to the 7 and 8 and make room for a select few to get in that (shorter) line.

This S6 will probably be an awesome "car" -- too bad fewer and fewer people want "cars."

Perhaps not an "epic" fail, but this car will be admired but not bought -- especially at this price point. Audi would make more sales at this price point with an RSQ5 than a hyper expensive S6. Those who buy will love the thing and NOT love the "retained value."

Our tastes are for ever hotter and more lux "SUVs" -- those dealers who take the chance on inventory will probably only get "one" knowing they could be left holding the bag when this awesome performance CAR is overlooked for what might be a less capable SUV.

Where's the damn SQ8 for pity's sake -- now THAT's the ticket!
I couldn't agree more.

Living in the Detroit area, our roads and congestion are horrific, so for the first time in my life, I chose to "pamper" myself on my 45 mile daily commute by going the SUV route (SQ5).

As far as a daily driver is concerned, it's exquisite, not to mention the amount of suspension travel and the offered utility for a family man with two young kids.

I do admit that I'm fortunate to have a Summer, weekend-only toy in the garage, but if I didn't, I would go the midsize sedan route if I could only have one vehicle.

And that brings me to the new S6/S7....there's just not enough "wow" factor in the new powertrain, especially when the BMW M550i exists (similar weight, better performance), with 523hp at the same price point.

It seems as if fast sedans have become irrelevant, as everyone has now gravitated towards SUV's, myself included. If Audi introduces either an SQ8 or an RSQ5, I'll be the first in line when my lease matures next Summer...unfortunately I'll probably be going to BMW to look at the new X5 M50i, with the same revised 523hp V8.

As much as I love them, and I never thought I'd say this, we may be witnessing the swansong of the traditional luxury sedan in America...
Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

We witnessed the swangsong of those cars in the 80's - they are dinosaurs, and they appeal to a very small niche. But niche's are what the European brands do better than anyone, and that is why the cars remain in production.

There are no bad choices at this level of car, which is something a lot of people fail to mention. But the M550 vs what an S6 will bring are still vastly different cars. Neither are going to be produced in huge numbers, and neither car will have much issue selling to their targeted demo.

People say they want an RSQ5, for example, but given that I sit on the floor all day, I can tell you, virtually no one, again beyond a tiny fraction, is going to pony up for what the asking price will be. And I'd venture to say the actual market for an SQ8, and it's subsequent price point, is going to be as small as the S8 in the previous generation. But, again, niche audience, so the few made, will, eventually, sell.

Regardless, people will find a reason to complain anyway, since, it's in our nature to do so
Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Regarding the "complaints" about the drop from a V8 to a V6, the HP is essentially (for all practical purposes) unchanged. The torque provided by the new V6 is impressive, however. There will be fewer moving parts in the new V6, better efficiency and similar (a bit better) performance overall. Those wanting to measure something, will certainly (and accurately) point out the BMW's prowess. However, the new S6 (and S7) are going to be very quick. Most folks will NEVER have a need and rarely even a WANT (considering traffic) to press one of these fine machines into "full" service (acceleration wise.)

My guess is, the issue has nothing to do with the fine-ness of the vehicle. It (they) will be fine examples of high-performance luxury sedans (or Sportback, if you must come up with a name other than 4-door coupe). My "lowly" $80K Q8 could stand a "bit" more urge from a dead-stop, but even having said that, it's day-to-day performance is the better of most "vehicles" on the road; then, there's that nasty traffic, so, maybe my lament about a few extra HP and another 10-15 pound-feet is just as SCar Guy noted, because we all like to complain. The thing is, the showroom, other than the new Q3, Q8, and e-tron, is seeming a bit long in the tooth. The refreshed A4/S4 are, frankly a disappointment and, to the perspective of power, the BMW 3 (not M) can be had with 382HP to the Audi's 349. If you are one of the shrinking number of sedan folks, the A4 seems outclassed.

Now, wait a minute: This does not indicate I'm a turncoat, I'm only somewhat frustrated that my S4 just turned 30,000 miles and there's nothing in the showroom I'd trade for (good news for me, since I have the "luxury" of being able to wait another year.) The SQ8 will surely be awesome (the regular Q8 is pretty damn nice.) Yet, if my P+ Q8 is $80K, what's that make an SQ8 $95,000? For what? another 100 HP? Seems too much for too little. I keep hoping Audi will come up with a Q8+ or Q8 "performance" that doesn't require one to pony up "the other kidney."
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
We witnessed the swangsong of those cars in the 80's - they are dinosaurs, and they appeal to a very small niche. But niche's are what the European brands do better than anyone, and that is why the cars remain in production.

There are no bad choices at this level of car, which is something a lot of people fail to mention. But the M550 vs what an S6 will bring are still vastly different cars. Neither are going to be produced in huge numbers, and neither car will have much issue selling to their targeted demo.

People say they want an RSQ5, for example, but given that I sit on the floor all day, I can tell you, virtually no one, again beyond a tiny fraction, is going to pony up for what the asking price will be. And I'd venture to say the actual market for an SQ8, and it's subsequent price point, is going to be as small as the S8 in the previous generation. But, again, niche audience, so the few made, will, eventually, sell.

Regardless, people will find a reason to complain anyway, since, it's in our nature to do so
I guess...for myself anyway...I wanted the S6 to remain niche. It was kinda like getting a value S8. Now it will be like getting a really expensive A6. Nothing really new there...they did the same to the S4 back in the day...Dropped the V6 A4 so your only choices are 4-cylinder A4 or V6 S4 and I'm sure they sell a lot more S4's now because people still want an engine upgrade. (Well I see a lot more S4's around than back in the day.)
I won't be surprised when the A6 3.0T is dropped and your only options are A6 2.0T and S6...
Old 07-30-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Regarding the "complaints" about the drop from a V8 to a V6, the HP is essentially (for all practical purposes) unchanged. The torque provided by the new V6 is impressive, however. There will be fewer moving parts in the new V6, better efficiency and similar (a bit better) performance overall. Those wanting to measure something, will certainly (and accurately) point out the BMW's prowess. However, the new S6 (and S7) are going to be very quick. Most folks will NEVER have a need and rarely even a WANT (considering traffic) to press one of these fine machines into "full" service (acceleration wise.)

My guess is, the issue has nothing to do with the fine-ness of the vehicle. It (they) will be fine examples of high-performance luxury sedans (or Sportback, if you must come up with a name other than 4-door coupe). My "lowly" $80K Q8 could stand a "bit" more urge from a dead-stop, but even having said that, it's day-to-day performance is the better of most "vehicles" on the road; then, there's that nasty traffic, so, maybe my lament about a few extra HP and another 10-15 pound-feet is just as SCar Guy noted, because we all like to complain. The thing is, the showroom, other than the new Q3, Q8, and e-tron, is seeming a bit long in the tooth. The refreshed A4/S4 are, frankly a disappointment and, to the perspective of power, the BMW 3 (not M) can be had with 382HP to the Audi's 349. If you are one of the shrinking number of sedan folks, the A4 seems outclassed.

Now, wait a minute: This does not indicate I'm a turncoat, I'm only somewhat frustrated that my S4 just turned 30,000 miles and there's nothing in the showroom I'd trade for (good news for me, since I have the "luxury" of being able to wait another year.) The SQ8 will surely be awesome (the regular Q8 is pretty damn nice.) Yet, if my P+ Q8 is $80K, what's that make an SQ8 $95,000? For what? another 100 HP? Seems too much for too little. I keep hoping Audi will come up with a Q8+ or Q8 "performance" that doesn't require one to pony up "the other kidney."
But everything is always long in the tooth at some point....that is why models are released on a staged basis

Everything always seems to be a disappointment when all we have are renderings and a couple quick pics to look at online. Because, people love to complain. Then suddenly when it arrives and we can look at the packages as a whole, people's opinions magically, often change.

There will never be a "plus" model of any cars or SUV's in the lineup - it makes zero sense from a business or marketing standpoint. S cars, as you well know, always get more than just the power bump. Therein is where the extra cash comes from. Afterall, your S4 was likely $20k more than a typical S4...and you "only" got ~100hp too....and that price bump is a far greater percentage of MSRP than the change will be on the forthcoming SQ8, for example.

Quick Reply: 2020 S6 Order Guide USA