S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

2020 S6 Order Guide USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I guess...for myself anyway...I wanted the S6 to remain niche. It was kinda like getting a value S8. Now it will be like getting a really expensive A6. Nothing really new there...they did the same to the S4 back in the day...Dropped the V6 A4 so your only choices are 4-cylinder A4 or V6 S4 and I'm sure they sell a lot more S4's now because people still want an engine upgrade. (Well I see a lot more S4's around than back in the day.)
I won't be surprised when the A6 3.0T is dropped and your only options are A6 2.0T and S6...
Interesting how one can say this without having seen it or driven it.

It is absolutely not a really expensive A6, nor was an S6 anything close to a value S8 - the two were vastly different

The V6 A6 isn't going anywhere, I can assure you that
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Interesting how one can say this without having seen it or driven it.

It is absolutely not a really expensive A6, nor was an S6 anything close to a value S8 - the two were vastly different

The V6 A6 isn't going anywhere, I can assure you that
Meh. I’ve seen it...not really blown away. Unless driving dynamics have improved significantly I’m still skeptic it will be “that” good.
Let me put it another way...an S8 was definitely not worth $40-50k more than an S6... too me anyway. Too others maybe....
And although you are in the know I’m still of the opinion they’ll drop the V6 A6.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The price difference between an A4 and S4 is, relatively speaking, rather small. The price for an SQ8 may be similarly small in terms of % . . . but the issue I have is that there was, past tense, an S6+ and Audi did release "performance" versions of their "non-S" cars over the years. At this point, Audi must be reeling from the hangover of the diesel issue. I get that.

I'm still solidly in Audi's corner (as a customer.) I'm just hoping they regain their leadership position vs. their German rivals.

The hold up (apparently due to battery availability and cost) on the e-tron, e-tron Sportback, etc., has to be galling to Audi management, too.

In any case, Audi could have used the mild-hybrid capabilities built into the Q8 to help with off-the-line acceleration. At this point, as an "Audi Ambassador" customer, I'm in a wait and see mode. We need a new A4/S4 (but the question of who will buy it remains); we need the new and fantastic Q3 to have the more potent 2.0T engine, etc.

Finally, as I'm navel-gazing, I do wonder why Audi is going to offer several hybrids where the ev range is in the neighborhood of 30 miles. The new Q5 PHEV seems, to me, to be a "why bother?" The same goes for the upcoming A6 and A8 hybrids -- the additional mileage is nice, but the vehicle will have all of the complexities of an ICE PLUS an EV powertrain as well. Maybe this approach is anticipating that new-Audi customers will lease and aren't as concerned about the potential for very large repair expenses post 50K miles.

Since my 2018 S4 is still a blast to drive, I'm happy to stand pat, for the time being anyway. But new products, products that can compete in all or most aspects (e.g., power, leaps to mind as does battery range, etc.) with others in their peer-class are sorely needed at this point.

If you are new to the Audi brand, please understand that I would encourage you to buy Audi, despite what some of my comments may seem to suggest. And, since most folks seem to gravitate toward CUV/SUVs, the Q3, Q5/SQ5, Q7, and Q8 are worth your time to evaluate.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Meh. I’ve seen it...not really blown away. Unless driving dynamics have improved significantly I’m still skeptic it will be “that” good.
Let me put it another way...an S8 was definitely not worth $40-50k more than an S6... too me anyway. Too others maybe....
And although you are in the know I’m still of the opinion they’ll drop the V6 A6.
Hard to believe that you have seen this car as it is not yet released in the North American market.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
Hard to believe that you have seen this car as it is not yet released in the North American market.
Do you honestly think it will look significantly different than a C8 A6 or the European C8 S6...
https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...limousine.html
I'm not even self-delusional enough to think my C7 S6 looks much different from a C7 A6.
I've seen all I need to...there is zero chance when the S6 arrives stateside that I'll walk into a dealer and say "Wow! That knocks the socks off the looks of an A6!"
Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
Audi always understates both horsepower and acceleration numbers.
What do we think the true 0-60 will be based on the similar/same in the RS5 (which I know is lighter)?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lawguy
What do we think the true 0-60 will be based on the similar/same in the RS5 (which I know is lighter)?
It is hard to say. But, German law is our friend here. When a German car company states a BHP for a given engine/car it must meet that as a minimum for every one they make. If not, they get fined. I do know that the TT V8 in the current S6/S7 is rated at 450 BHP and a number of them have been measured at closer to 485 BHP.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by filberteinstein
Would be interested to see mention of Avant and of $
Do we know if there will be a RS6 Avant for the states?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mlaroccarex
Do we know if there will be a RS6 Avant for the states?
Only rumors so far.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Only rumors so far.
Confirmed: https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-rs6-avant-preview

Quick Reply: 2020 S6 Order Guide USA