S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

2020 S6 Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2020 S6 Update

It seems that the Audi dealers in North America still don't have any "real" or accurate info on the forthcoming S6. I was, however, able to get some insight this week in Germany. According to Audi's largest dealer in Frankfurt, the S6 won't start being released for sale in Germany until the earliest May 2020. This means, I would not expect the car to hit the US until around July 2020. What a long wait since that last production model S6.

I also had an opportunity to drive a production version S6 Avant. Let me preface this by saying that all new S6's in Germany are diesel.

The interior styling is consistent with the new A6. I noticed in Germany, the new A6 can be ordered with diamond stitched seats and aluminum trim; neither of which seem to be able to be ordered on an A6 in the US and seem only available on the S6 in the US. I much prefer the aluminum interior trim over the wood (which looks plastic to me).

It was hard for me to really hear the true exhaust in the S6 Avant diesel as the diesel sound seemed to overtake the exhaust note. The Avant felt longer to me when driving and especially when backing into a parking spot. However, the dealer explained that the sedan is the exact same length as the Avant. Aside from the diamond stitched seats, the interior metal trim, the quad exhaust and "S" badging inside and out, it looked like an A6.

Attached are some photos.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

^^

I didn't understand your post - "the S6 won't start being released for sale in Germany until the earliest May 2020". The C8 S6 has been on sale for some time in Germany, and there are Germans driving around in their dealer delivered cars.

Probably not that many, as the diesel version specs are undesirable. It offers almost no performance advantage over the previous C7 A6 3.0TDI bi-turbo, and is the same engine being used in the much cheaper S4.

Whilst always interesting to drive new models, the gasoline engined versions being sold in the rest of the world (diesel is only for EU/Euro 6D certification markets) will feel very different from the diesel you drove.

Audi Australia, who are using the gasoline engined version, announced yesterday that the S6 is arriving in the second quarter. Perhaps your Frankfurt dealer meant May for gasoline S6 deliveries to the US - might have some inside information. Audi Centre Frankfurt is a factory owned dealership, not a franchise.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

If the car is released in May of 2020, will it, therefore, be a 2021?
Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

The car has already been released in the US, it was at the LA show, it is listed on the Audi USA website, and it can be ordered, as a MY2020 USA sales year. They have also cleaned up some the spec errors, so must have final production specs from the factory. On that timetable, production probably starts next month.

I should have been clearer; if Australia is receiving deliveries in Q2 (around the time the OP said the S6 was being released), the USA will receive deliveries some time before. IOW, the Frankfurt dealer info seems wrong. I was trying to be tactful 😂
Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The car has already been released in the US, it was at the LA show, it is listed on the Audi USA website, and it can be ordered, as a MY2020 USA sales year. They have also cleaned up some the spec errors, so must have final production specs from the factory. On that timetable, production probably starts next month.

I should have been clearer; if Australia is receiving deliveries in Q2 (around the time the OP said the S6 was being released), the USA will receive deliveries some time before. IOW, the Frankfurt dealer info seems wrong. I was trying to be tactful 😂
Maybe release v. delivered. But that could change. Back in the day I ordered a 2000 S4....when it arrived it was a 2001. If anything I think they will short run the 2020's for anyone who specifically ordered one, and then quickly/quietly without any changes start delivering 2021's to get them back on track. The PODs debacle has left a glut of A6's on the lots and I still strongly believe they want to move more of them before bringing in the 2020's or 2021's even the S6's.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I ordered (well my dealer ordered with me sitting at the sales managers desk) a 2020 S6 Prestige with the sport package, in artic white pearl, with the aluminum dash (I tried for the carbon fiber, no dice) and the red leather interior. I went with the stock wheels knowing that I would order UHP A/S Michelin Pilot Sport 3+, bla, bla, bla and pick up the thing with the UHPs on it, NOT the summer tires. It was ~$84+K-ish. No known date, but thought EARLY 2020.

I had HOPED for the etron SB to have a range of ~250 miles, but it looks like it MIGHT come in at 222. Just not enough -- especially since the dealer said his customers were complaining about the fall off in range on VERY cold days. A 33% range increase is absolutely needed.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:11 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I ordered (well my dealer ordered with me sitting at the sales managers desk) a 2020 S6 Prestige with the sport package, in artic white pearl, with the aluminum dash (I tried for the carbon fiber, no dice) and the red leather interior. I went with the stock wheels knowing that I would order UHP A/S Michelin Pilot Sport 3+, bla, bla, bla and pick up the thing with the UHPs on it, NOT the summer tires. It was ~$84+K-ish. No known date, but thought EARLY 2020.

I had HOPED for the etron SB to have a range of ~250 miles, but it looks like it MIGHT come in at 222. Just not enough -- especially since the dealer said his customers were complaining about the fall off in range on VERY cold days. A 33% range increase is absolutely needed.
You were whom I was thinking of when I said "for anyone who specifically ordered one..." If they have no known date for yours then at a minimum it has to be March/April delivery and I just can't see them delivery 2020's in April and 2021's in June/July. But if they do you will have a very limited edition 2020 S6.
No matter what MY it will be I'm sure you'll be happy. Damn shame about the CF trim though.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

You really are jumping a lot of hypothetical fences to reach your conclusions.

There are S6’s on the water as we speak to the US. My estimate for them arriving to dealers will be mid Jan to mid Feb for the earliest ordered cars. With arrivals ramping up after that.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Maybe release v. delivered. But that could change. Back in the day I ordered a 2000 S4....when it arrived it was a 2001. If anything I think they will short run the 2020's for anyone who specifically ordered one, and then quickly/quietly without any changes start delivering 2021's to get them back on track. The PODs debacle has left a glut of A6's on the lots and I still strongly believe they want to move more of them before bringing in the 2020's or 2021's even the S6's.
a glut of A6’s where exactly ?

pods affected prior gen cars only. Current A6’s have been on the ground for a year now
Old 11-29-2019, 07:51 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
a glut of A6’s where exactly ?

pods affected prior gen cars only. Current A6’s have been on the ground for a year now
Local dealer has 30 2019 A6's. How can the 2020's come for sale with so many 2019's still floating around.
The PODs issue allowed for so many 2018's to be released for sale so late leaving 2019's on the lots. How many 2018's did you blow out after the 2019 were already on the lot? How many of those would have been 2019 sales if the 2018's weren't sitting there with huge discounts?
And I'd be very surprised to see 2019 A6's on sale with 2020 S6's. It will beg the question "where are the 2020 A6's?"

Last edited by gk1; 11-29-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 S6 Update