S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

How I long for the "good old days. . ."

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How I long for the "good old days. . ."

In 1996 Audi brought 50 A8's (European spec) to the US.

These cars were loaned to dealers for a certain, fixed, period of time.

The dealers were instructed to "loan" these A8s to their customers -- obviously the customers thought most likely to actually buy an A8.

My wife and I were one of the recipients of this "marketing initiative" -- we loved the car.

If you wanted one, Audi would take your order if you would pony up $1,000.

We ordered a pearl white A8.

It took OVER A YEAR for the car to finally arrive at the dealership. My lease on my then-current Audi ran out. I leased a new A6 for 12 months and was told I could quit the lease once my A8 arrive without any "abandonment fee."

Audi, during the year+ wait communicated with me on a regular and fairly frequent basis. They sent me a VHS tape of the A8 (not MY A8, however) on the assembly line. They sent me a silver Audi A8 key chain. They sent me a $200 Nieman-Marcus pre-paid gift certificate. They sent "updates" (US mail) on a regular basis. They kept building the anticipatory juices in about every way possible.

I ordered a new S6 -- which is hardly a trivial purchase at north of $82K -- and I haven't heard a peep.

It would be so "cheap" to attempt to build my interest, make me WANT the car -- crickets.

The e-tron SB is also of considerable interest to me and I guess the thought must be, "This customer will buy a new S6 or an e-tron SportBack, so we've got him." That may well be true.

But the threads suggesting discounts on a BMW 550 is AT LEAST attention-getting. I kinda feel a little bit taken for granted.

It would be nice to know "what's up with my S6 order. We test drove a Volvo a few years ago and Volvo is relentless with their marketing -- I just got a brochure for a new S60 today, as a matter of fact.

Noting from Audi.

I know, bitch, bitch, bitch -- but you'd think they'd do everything possible to attract and RETAIN customers. Make Audi Great Again, I say.
The following 2 users liked this post by markcincinnati:
gk1 (10-22-2019), larry23142314 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:54 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

You are indeed one of the old guard.
In 1996 Audi sold just 27,000 cars in the US...total.... BMW had already surpassed 100k and MB wasn't far behind.
Today Audi is 8 times that...sadly I think they feel they no longer need to court people like they once did, they have built their brand.
I agree...it is sad and you are right to long for the old days, but I think those things have gone away as they have grown bigger.
Now it's a bit of..."you are lucky if we allow you to buy our $80k car"...otherwise go elsewhere...which is indeed bad for business.
I feel, they should offer huge incentives to loyal buyers and treat them like absolute royalty with technology abound to track ordered cars, but I just don't see it happening.
We forum members are still in the minority of people who buy their cars, are brand loyal, and would want what you described and it doesn't look like it is changing any time soon.
Like you I wanted to get excited about the upcoming RS6 and signed up on the AudiUSA page to "get updates". Did I get an email from AoA, nope.
A phone call from my local dealership asking what I was inquiring about...I said: "I clicked on the updates for the RS6...that is all I have interest in at the moment."
He said: "Well we still don't know how they will be sold...through regular sales or online like the e-tron."
Oh so you have no information?
No, I'll let you know.
Again, not building excitement in a potential $110k customer and my money is on that guy will be gone and his leads tossed in the garbage before an RS6 even enters the US and one will pass me on the street while I just hear crickets from Audi. What was the point of "get updates" if none exist. At least have some small update for when people bother to click on the link.
Sorry...I got fired up...
I'm also big on their missed opportunity for up-sale potential of loaner cars. If I come in with an S6 don't give me an A3 or Q5, try to upsell me by putting me in an A8 or Q8. I might go wtf this is awesome and buy one, but guaranteed with a base A3 or Q5 I say wtf I don't want one of these. That seems to be lost on them but I am bitter from my B5 S4 days when they put me in a Pontiac Sunfire loaner with a broken window for my then (very expensive to me Audi). When I asked why I can't have an A8 loaner I was told they were only for A8 customers.
I'm with you... makes me sad.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

damn, these are all good points... my wife would fall for this in a second. she has gone in a few times with our 13 Q7 TDI- and they think she's this little girl, so they give her a Q3 or A4. Now, she wants to save her money (drives like mr. magoo anyway), just get another outback and let me get the nice car (2020 allroad or rs6).