S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Bang & Olufsen Sound System ...true value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang & Olufsen Sound System ...true value?

Hello all,

Obviously new to the forum and strongly considering a 2013 S7. As I review options, I question the value of the Bang & Olufsen Sound System. $6,000 buys a lot of stereo in the aftermarket...

Unfortunately, I will not have an opportunity to personally listen to the system before making a purchase as I am in Iraq but would value all opinions on the system.

Thank you in advance for your counsel.

Cheers,

F*
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bang and Olusen is generally viewed as way more style over substance by audiophiles for home audio. You get the B&O system to show off your contemporary style. The guy who cares about sound quality is looking elsewhere.

The B&O system for the S7 delivers on style with the pop up tweeters and has more power than the Bose system, but I couldn't do it. Six grand? I'm not convinced that there is that much value in that upgrade. I think the B&O in the S5 was $850 more. Id have probably gone 2500 tops. I think it's a money grab for someone at 6000.

So far, I am satisfied with the Bose quality of sound, though, as you'll read, it does lack some low end punch and top end volume, but aside from ear damage inducing volume levels, I'm not sure about the actual gains. And as has been mentioned, there are a lot of aftermarket upgrades to be done for $6000.

Not having the B&O system has not detracted a bit from the excitement of owning this car. It's unbelievable.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

(REPOST from me- Written in context of a diff but similar thread)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809135

"I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about the b&o system. If you don't feel like having it for whatever reason then it was not meant for that person in the first place.

Options are not about price, they are about experiencing something unique which only some people feel the need for..

I am tired of people complaining about how expensive it is or how little value the 6k b&o system offers above the regular Bose system.

If u cannot afford it or don't need it then that's your choice, it does not mean that the b&o is not an amazing stereo system. It also does not mean that just because I have it , it's six times better.

As someone pointed out earlier that to get next level of performance , cost graph is almost always not linear. This is what keeps these options exclusive to a great extent and only for people who really feel the need and can appreciate what this b&o system brings to the table...

I personally have listened to and have access to b&o in my friends a7. It's fantastic.. I myself have the 17 speaker lexicon 7.1 in my genesis .. This is also in the rolls Royce although in a higher tune.. Te lexicon system has absolutely amazing sound clarity and it easily beats most of the others in the market hands down not only for the price point but also for the whole music experience. U can easily find this system rated in top 10 in all in car factory installed systems ...

Now b&o in a7 , yes it beats the one in my genesis .. Is it 6 times better, I don't know but I do know that it sounded so good that I just could not help listening to the songs again and again.. It brings a smile on my face everytime I fire it up, it still does!!! "

Agree/Disagree, this is just my opinion!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredro Starr
Hello all,

Obviously new to the forum and strongly considering a 2013 S7. As I review options, I question the value of the Bang & Olufsen Sound System. $6,000 buys a lot of stereo in the aftermarket...

Unfortunately, I will not have an opportunity to personally listen to the system before making a purchase as I am in Iraq but would value all opinions on the system.

Thank you in advance for your counsel.

Cheers,

F*
Would definitely advise you to skip it

It looks cool, but sound isn't really that much better.

Maybe worth $1,000 above the BOSE, but not much more than that

You can get a custom shop to install a gorgeous system for less than $6k

Resale uptick on the BOSE will also be about Zero if you're thinking that way at all

ENJOY your S7
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noah123
(REPOST from me- Written in context of a diff but similar thread)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809135

"I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about the b&o system. If you don't feel like having it for whatever reason then it was not meant for that person in the first place.

Options are not about price, they are about experiencing something unique which only some people feel the need for..

I am tired of people complaining about how expensive it is or how little value the 6k b&o system offers above the regular Bose system.

If u cannot afford it or don't need it then that's your choice, it does not mean that the b&o is not an amazing stereo system. It also does not mean that just because I have it , it's six times better.

As someone pointed out earlier that to get next level of performance , cost graph is almost always not linear. This is what keeps these options exclusive to a great extent and only for people who really feel the need and can appreciate what this b&o system brings to the table...

I personally have listened to and have access to b&o in my friends a7. It's fantastic.. I myself have the 17 speaker lexicon 7.1 in my genesis .. This is also in the rolls Royce although in a higher tune.. Te lexicon system has absolutely amazing sound clarity and it easily beats most of the others in the market hands down not only for the price point but also for the whole music experience. U can easily find this system rated in top 10 in all in car factory installed systems ...

Now b&o in a7 , yes it beats the one in my genesis .. Is it 6 times better, I don't know but I do know that it sounded so good that I just could not help listening to the songs again and again.. It brings a smile on my face everytime I fire it up, it still does!!! "

Agree/Disagree, this is just my opinion!!
I agree completely with your points. These discussions about whether it is worth it or not are pretty funny. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I spent over $30K on my 911 SC track car, which is worth $20K tops, in order to get maybe 1.5 sec per lap advantage. Is it worth it? YES.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default B and O is solid!

I ponied up $6k for the B&0. I am an ex-DJ and the sound is exceptional. Wife (not an audiophile) said yesterday that is sounds like a live band is right in front of her.

If you like music and are in the car alot - absolutely go for it. I drive alot and i am very pleased with the decision.

For me, i decided that some of the Innovation package was cool but would be less used by myself - heads up display, night vision, cruise control features, etc- i live in Chicago downtown and these are not features i would use, so i passed on that package and added the B&O.

By the way, the $850 B&O referenced elsewhere in this thread is not comparable to this S7 system.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

We've got a B&O poll over on the A6 Forum just for grins. Weigh in if you want.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2856725
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
We've got a B&O poll over on the A6 Forum just for grins. Weigh in if you want.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2856725
This should be fun....
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DocBollywood
I ponied up $6k for the B&0. I am an ex-DJ and the sound is exceptional. Wife (not an audiophile) said yesterday that is sounds like a live band is right in front of her.

If you like music and are in the car alot - absolutely go for it. I drive alot and i am very pleased with the decision.

For me, i decided that some of the Innovation package was cool but would be less used by myself - heads up display, night vision, cruise control features, etc- i live in Chicago downtown and these are not features i would use, so i passed on that package and added the B&O.

By the way, the $850 B&O referenced elsewhere in this thread is not comparable to this S7 system.
I just picked up my 2014 S7 and specifically wanted the B&O - can't agree more, night and day difference from the Bose system. I played a selection of tracks at the dealership to compare side by side and definitely sounds unbelievably better - is it worth $6k? Who knows, but it makes my experience with the car that much better...to each their own.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default B&O

This was the toughest decision for me. I went through a lot of sound checks with different music and set ups and decided on the B&O. Definitely the B&O is much sharper and crisper then the Bose with a lot more punch but is it worth $6K? to each their own. I do enjoy the extra style of the B&O as well as the sound. I will be in the car a lot cruising the city and just thought having the B&O would be way more enjoyable experience, especially deciding on a car at this price point. I currently have a 2012 Acura TL and thought the sound system was great. but after doing tests with the B&O in the S7, now every time I drive my Acura the sound system is a downer! lol

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Sound System ...true value?