S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Drove The S7 Today At The Audi Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
The Q5 was fixed but after they do the "reflash" the transmission has to "re-learn" how you drive. After a few hundred miles you'll notice it'll go away. I haven't asked my dealer to do my A7 because sometimes it goes away on it's own after the transmission software has a chance to learn your driving style. If it doesn't go away after 5,000 miles or so you may want to have it looked at.
Sorry I meant the Q5, any inputs about the s8 engine with proper 520hp????
Old 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Sorry I meant the Q5, any inputs about the s8 engine with proper 520hp????
The S8 was there to sit in but oddly not to drive, so I can't comment on anything performance related on the S8, sorry.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about that man, S7 is a grand tourer. It will never have the handling of the RS5, as it wasn't designed by Audi for that purpose. Just watching the S7 YouTube videos around the race track vs the RS5 it's easy to see the massive amounts of body roll in such a large and heavy vehicle. The latest Tech and gadgets of the S7 cannot be beat though, our RS5 has no chance in that area. I already miss the touch pad Nav vs the slow rotating dial in the RS...

Originally Posted by DinB
How did it compare to the RS5? A lot of people are bashing us RS5 owners sayins that the S7 will be a superior sports car.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Did you have a chance to drive the S7 in standard Drive mode? My RS5 feels butter smooth in Drive but in Sport, it can be abrupt on the 2nd to 1st gear downshift as well. It doesnt bother me though as it uses clutch packs and even in my 6 speed S5, I was never able to shift smoothly from 2nd to first while rolling either. I think that aspect is what kept Audi so timid in offering the widespread usage of the S-Tronic in the USA. They said most Americans liked the traditional torque converter automatic. I enjoy both the 8 speed and S-Tronic transmissions for their respective purposes but the S-Tronic is my preference.

Totally agree with you on all counts as far as both transmissions go.

I do believe however what I was feeling with the S-tronic tranny in the S7 was more of a clunky downshift as opposed to an aggressive downshift. I felt the clunkiness at what I believe to be the same rough speed (going down from 10-5 mph) as I feel in my A7. My 2012 Q5 had the same exact downshift issue and required a transmission software flash, update or both before the issue was resolved. It's a rough downshift followed by a pronounced lurch and it happens maybe 1 out of every 5 decelerations from 10-5 mph. I was surprised to see the same issue in the S7 as it's a completely different tranny than the A7 obviously.

Still can't beat the exhaust note however of when that S-tronic seven speed downshifts at speed...stone cold bad *** sound!

Last edited by Quattrings; 08-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
cda
AudiWorld Newcomer

Excellent writeup - I am on the fence as to whether I should get the A7 or S7. I am currently driving an 09 CLS550, and I appreciate V8 power/performance. From what you wrote, I would think the S7 would be a better successor to my current vehicle. Are the seats in the A7 uncomfortable? I have read in other reviews that they are not very supportive.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cda
Excellent writeup - I am on the fence as to whether I should get the A7 or S7. I am currently driving an 09 CLS550, and I appreciate V8 power/performance. From what you wrote, I would think the S7 would be a better successor to my current vehicle. Are the seats in the A7 uncomfortable? I have read in other reviews that they are not very supportive.
Here's my take on the seats:

While not technically uncomfortable, they just don't succeed in the two areas I think they should...support and comfort. What I mean by "comfort" is that for a $70k car like the A7 one would expect to get in and go "Ahhh, these seats feel like they belong in a $70k car"! They provide zero emotional response when I get in them, they're just a place to put my butt.

In terms of support they definitely need better thigh support and better side bolstering. When driving my A7 spirited, I feel like I slide around in the seat too much and don't feel supported overall.

As I mentioned in my original post, the S7 seats feel much more inviting and they also hold the driver much more snugly...a much better seat for sure. I've also sat in the comfort seats which are a $1900 option on the S7 and they felt VERY comfortable, had great thigh support, were infinitely adjustable and just felt great to slide into...a VERY comfortable seat. I haven't driven in them, just sat in them and they felt fantastic. Same exact seats available in the A8.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
cda
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's my take on the seats:

While not technically uncomfortable, they just don't succeed in the two areas I think they should...support and comfort. What I mean by "comfort" is that for a $70k car like the A7 one would expect to get in and go "Ahhh, these seats feel like they belong in a $70k car"! They provide zero emotional response when I get in them, they're just a place to put my butt.

In terms of support they definitely need better thigh support and better side bolstering. When driving my A7 spirited, I feel like I slide around in the seat too much and don't feel supported overall.

As I mentioned in my original post, the S7 seats feel much more inviting and they also hold the driver much more snugly...a much better seat for sure. I've also sat in the comfort seats which are a $1900 option on the S7 and they felt VERY comfortable, had great thigh support, were infinitely adjustable and just felt great to slide into...a VERY comfortable seat. I haven't driven in them, just sat in them and they felt fantastic. Same exact seats available in the A8.
thanks for the reply! I recall sitting in the A7 nearly a year ago at the local auto show and was not impressed with the seats. It's a shame Audi does not offer a seat upgrade for the A7 - a leather dash would be nice too.