S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Engine Start-Stop/Cylinder On Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Start-Stop/Cylinder On Demand?

Hi all,

So seriously considering trading in my A7 (which I love) for an S7. Two pieces of new technology in the S7 have me a bit concerned, until I can do a test drive anyway. Was wondering if anyone has any first hand (in other vehicles of course) experience or read anything substantial on the technology and desirability of Engine Start-Stop and Cylinder On Demand?

I've only read a little online about both technologies and the reviews are lukewarm at best. Some complain (VW, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8) that the cylinder on demand can be harsh sounding when operating off four cylinders and the engine start stop is intrusive or unnerving...some thinking their car has actually stalled.

Now I know and hope Audi's implementation of these technologies will be better than other car manufacturers but I have to wonder whether the technology is really ready for prime time right now either.

Any and all thoughts/experiences/knowledge is most welcome.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hi all,

So seriously considering trading in my A7 (which I love) for an S7. Two pieces of new technology in the S7 have me a bit concerned, until I can do a test drive anyway. Was wondering if anyone has any first hand (in other vehicles of course) experience or read anything substantial on the technology and desirability of Engine Start-Stop and Cylinder On Demand?

I've only read a little online about both technologies and the reviews are lukewarm at best. Some complain (VW, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8) that the cylinder on demand can be harsh sounding when operating off four cylinders and the engine start stop is intrusive or unnerving...some thinking their car has actually stalled.

Now I know and hope Audi's implementation of these technologies will be better than other car manufacturers but I have to wonder whether the technology is really ready for prime time right now either.

Thanks!
Are u sure we're getting stop/start here? I was told by dealership only cylinder on demand for North America

It sounds like audis done some serious work on thosecengine mounts to make it practically unnoticable.....
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hi all,

Thanks!
NA will only get cylinder on demand for 2013 models. start stop is not so well received among NA users. stop Start sounds good on paper but I really did not like the feel of it on B<W 5 series, I don't thing there is much anyone can do better. You will find yourself deactivating this feature after a week. Cylinder on demand is a great feature, Audi's sound cancelling technology make it undetectable to the driver and passengers. I ordered my S7 hoping to save gas on highway as I be doing 75% on the highway. A7 will be getting engine start stop in 2013.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Totally seamless with NO FEELIIG WHEN GOING FROM 8 cylinders to 4 and
Back to 8 .
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
Totally seamless with NO FEELIIG WHEN GOING FROM 8 cylinders to 4 and
Back to 8 .
And definitely no start/stop in USA. I don't even know for sure that cylinders are being deactivated.. Can you actually tell?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mcqueen
And definitely no start/stop in USA. I don't even know for sure that cylinders are being deactivated.. Can you actually tell?
In the owners manual it discusses the procedure to check if you are in 4 or 8 cylinder mode. It shows
an efficiency graph and it will be in green if in 4 cylinder mode. Other than that, there is no way to tell.
I have been driving in SPORT mode, mainly in town, and averaging 13.5 -15 MPG. I made 18 - 19
With the same type of driving in my A7.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
Totally seamless with NO FEELIIG WHEN GOING FROM 8 cylinders to 4 and Back to 8 .
Due in part to the active voice coil motor mounts. The mounts counteract vibration when the engine is in 4 cylinder mode. There are four microphones in the headliner that monitor noise levels in the cabin and actively cancel unwanted sounds via the main speakers and subwoofer.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree, I've never noticed when going between 4 and 8 cylinders and wouldn't believe the car was doing it if it wasn't for the green bar on the display. I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee before with cylinder on demand before and there was a bit of a drone in 4 cylinder mode. I have never heard or felt anything in the Audi, but in the Jeep it felt like another gear.

I have noticed the Audi will more quickly switch back to 8 cylinders maybe sooner that I would expect it would need more power than the 4 can give, but I don't see how this is a problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Start/Stop

I was in a new 5 Series BMW this weekend. It had start/stop and it was very distracting. Glad they
didn't bring Audi's to the US with that feature.

Quick Reply: Engine Start-Stop/Cylinder On Demand?