Engine Start-Stop/Cylinder On Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
Totally seamless with NO FEELIIG WHEN GOING FROM 8 cylinders to 4 and
Back to 8 .
I don't agree. I can definitely tell the transition. It is a slight shudder. While they have addressed the noise with the microphones the slight shudder is there. Not a big deal but it is not seamless from my experience.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I don't agree. I can definitely tell the transition. It is a slight shudder. While they have addressed the noise with the microphones the slight shudder is there. Not a big deal but it is not seamless from my experience.
I wonder if there are slight differences between some cars (faulty active motor mount, dead microphone)? I really can't tell the transition occurs, unless I check the mileage graph.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I wonder if there are slight differences between some cars (faulty active motor mount, dead microphone)? I really can't tell the transition occurs, unless I check the mileage graph.
I think there are a couple of considerations. First, the transition from 8 to 4 to 8 is a big deal and causes many problems as other companies found out. The use of microphones and active motor mounts are bandaids to mask the transition and the reality of the mechanical challenges these transiitons bring. Audi has it figured out pretty well. However,the slight shudder I feel is the seat of the pants, performance transition that the speakers and motor mounts cannot isolate. This is what I feel. Second, I have only had the car for a short period of time, so I am feeling everything for the first time. If you have had your S7 for a longer time, these initial observations are probably long gone. The bottom line is that if I did not know that it was going from 8 to 4 to 8, I would probably attribute the slight performance shudder as an anomoly. Again, it is really not a problem, just that the transition does have consequences. As an aside, the marketing brochures also say there is no turbo lag. Regardless of what they say, there is....it is a bi turbo after all. Again, just the realities of technology. Bottom line: I love this car.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my S6 for a few weeks and have only driven about 430 miles. However, I'm driving on studded winter tires, which impart some NVH of their own, so my seat-of-the-pants may be suffering from sensory overload. I will be able to tell definitively in the springtime.

As for "turbo lag": This engine doesn't experience delayed boost onset in the sense that the 930 Turbo did (i.e. nothing, nothing, nothing, Holy $#!^), but any rotating assembly has inertia and requires a finite amount of time to get up to speed. Take it on faith that, compared to a naturally-aspirated variant, this engine has more torque everywhere - even off idle. Boost, and thus relative torque, increases over time, which makes the low-end feel comparatively weak, but it's an illusion. I actually like the "elastic" feel of a well-sorted turbo.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I've had my S6 for a few weeks and have only driven about 430 miles. However, I'm driving on studded winter tires, which impart some NVH of their own, so my seat-of-the-pants may be suffering from sensory overload. I will be able to tell definitively in the springtime.

As for "turbo lag": This engine doesn't experience delayed boost onset in the sense that the 930 Turbo did (i.e. nothing, nothing, nothing, Holy $#!^), but any rotating assembly has inertia and requires a finite amount of time to get up to speed. Take it on faith that, compared to a naturally-aspirated variant, this engine has more torque everywhere - even off idle. Boost, and thus relative torque, increases over time, which makes the low-end feel comparatively weak, but it's an illusion. I actually like the "elastic" feel of a well-sorted turbo.
I agree. I had a 930 Turbo for many years, including track time at various Porsche Club events. I installed a larger turbo, intercooler and boost control which reduced "a little" the lag. However, there is NOTHING like the rush from the 930...it was an on off switch. Audi has done an amazing job on addressing this issue on the S7. The mention of the 930 brings back lots of good memories.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdman1216
I was in a new 5 Series BMW this weekend. It had start/stop and it was very distracting. Glad they
didn't bring Audi's to the US with that feature.
Audi has the start stop feature on US cars it just isnt in the S model cars
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsasecret
Audi has the start stop feature on US cars it just isnt in the S model cars
If you are referring to the economy feature when you stop, press the break hard for a second or so... yes Audi has it. I have an A7 with it; however, I can elect to turn it on or off.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Start/Stop installed on S7

THANKFULLY
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by clintb
No Start/Stop installed on S7

THANKFULLY
As previously noted, the U.S. 2013 C7 A6/A7 (and all regions for that matter) have Stop/Start. Euro Audis have had it for some time. Since it can be defeated by the simple push of a button, it's no big deal and, unlike in Europe apparently, U.S. cars remember the last setting so it's not intrusive if you don't like it - push the dash S/S button one time to turn it off and it's like it was never there.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As previously noted, the U.S. 2013 C7 A6/A7 (and all regions for that matter) have Stop/Start. Euro Audis have had it for some time. Since it can be defeated by the simple push of a button, it's no big deal and, unlike in Europe apparently, U.S. cars remember the last setting so it's not intrusive if you don't like it - push the dash S/S button one time to turn it off and it's like it was never there.
snagitseven.... This is the S7 Forum (Not A7)

No start/stop on our cars

Quick Reply: Engine Start-Stop/Cylinder On Demand?