S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

My new 2013 Audi S7 w/ some mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meridian
Achan

I've about to install LI quad jammers. Where did you place the on/off switch?

Is the stir+ alerting you to lasers? The LI came with a laser tester and the stir+ isn't reading it. Not sure it matters after the LI is installed.

Meridian
Meridian,

I've experienced the same as clintb, the STi-R plus gives false laser alerts. I think its partly due to interference from the car. I have falsing from a noisy power source (we think) so we ordered a line filter from Beltronics. This manifested itself as a false laser alert when I accelerated heavily. I haven't had it installed yet and may decided against it as I've turned off the laser alert on my STi-R plus. I am comfortable with the LI performance. If you think about it, the LI has four heads to pickup laser shots versus the one (receiver only) for the STi-R. If the LI doesn't go off, it's unlikely an actual laser threat. Conversely a laser alert of an actual shot from your STi-R is pointless if your LI Quads don't pick it up (aka you're toast).

My LI Quad falses are much more infrequent, and yes they have worked when getting shot by a law enforcement. Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by achan
Beltronics STiR+ display built into mirror, custom leather wrapped control box for radar and laser
Apologies for the crappy pic, but if you look closely I the round button with the green light is my LI Quad on/off switch. I went this route b/c I wanted the display in the mirror. It's an non-intrusive location for me and looks factory installed.

A cheaper and also less visible alternative would be under the dash as previously suggested, but I am rather happy with the setup thus far.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else having this thread showing out of order?

I have some old messages in the middle of the new ones
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably place the LI switch uunder the right dash.

I was surprised to hear qabout false + laser hits on the stir. I've not had one alert yet... I am concerned about the install of the Stir receiver. My installer placed it behind the audi emblem on front grill. Is yours visible?

As Achan pointed out the stir's ability to detect laser becomes irrelevent after installing the LI jammers.

Its good to know Achan was alerted appropriately by the LI. It would be great to know whether the laser was actually jammed. I think there are some people on the laser forums with guns that can test it.

The LI sensors have small wings on each side with open screw holes. Did your installer have to cut the wings to fit them into the front grill? It seems that if you don't, the face of the sensor will lie too far behind the edge of the grill. If they were cut I assume the sensors were fixed using 3M tape?

Meridian
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My front heads are mounted in the grille row right below the audi emblem all on the furthest left and right sides. I'm pretty sure they are attached using 3M tape. I can't tell if they've removed the screw mounts though, really shouldn't be an issue as long as the sensor is mounted parallel and level.

This was similar to how the front heads were installed in my R8 grille. The LI does work well against laser shots in both my S7 and R8. Laser shots have been pretty infrequent lately, but better safe than sorry.

As far as laser alerts on the STi-R, I doubt it could be effective in detecting them if the unit itself does not have a direct line of sight. This is why I've decided it's not worth leaving laser detection on.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes, I agree. I'll turn off the sir laser detection after i install the LI jammers. I just wonder whether the radar sensitivity is compromised with the detector behind the audi emblem.

What's your strategy when the LI detects a laser hit? Do you slow down to the speed limit and shut off the LI? Or do you leave the LI on?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think ideally the radar unit performs better when unobstructed, but that's not always a feasible option. I've found that the sensitivity is adequate thus far, but if you want have him move it to a different section of the grille.

When I do get a LI alert I always slow down to the limit and turn it off. I do this even when I cannot spot the shooter, and sometimes that makes me look foolish to other drivers if there is no real threat but I can live with that...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Name:  S7_ADV10_lowered_zps0582119c.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  143.0 KB

Been a while since I've updated but here's a quick iphone snap, mounted the ADV10s and had the air suspension lowered. Still no luck with APR tune for later ECU revisions though
Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, car looks awesome now. ps why not ask Erik @ AMS for your tune? I'm sure he can get it for you.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JoeCaMotto
Wow, car looks awesome now. ps why not ask Erik @ AMS for your tune? I'm sure he can get it for you.
Honestly, it's more of a distance thing as Eric/AMS have already offered to write a tune for the S7. I just may have to take them up on it...

Quick Reply: My new 2013 Audi S7 w/ some mods