S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

S7 ETA March AND an A7 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 AM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S7 ETA March AND an A7 purchase

I ordered my S7 November 6th, and just got this update (see iPhone photos below that dealer sent me) that my car is in production. I ordered the Carbon inlays, but apparently it hasn't delayed my order. I was told that "sold" cars sometimes can skip the train, and be taken by truck directly to the dealer, which can shave a week to ten days off the delivery schedule. Anyone have any recent experience with the production/shipping/delivery process?

Secondly, my father was rear-ended while exiting the expressway about two weeks ago; fortunately, he wasn't injured at all, but his 2000 Mercedes E430 4matic, which he had planned to drive for another 2-4 years, was crushed, and deemed totaled by the insurance companies. He was given a Ford Focus rental for two weeks while he shopped for a new car, so I helped him shop around. Several months ago I took him to the Audi Driving event (S6, S7, RS5, R8) and he was really, really impressed with how well the vehicles handled and performed.

With his 70th birthday last week, he said he was "too old" for an S model, but he loved the Quartz Gray of the S7 I ordered, so he knew he wanted that color, but couldn't decide between the A6 or A7. He told me this would be his "last new car" in his lifetime, so he wanted to get what he wanted...however, to get an A6 optioned the way he wanted would have required an order, and it would have been a three-month wait.

A day later, we discovered a used 2012 A7 Prestige, Quartz Gray, black leather, black headliner, LED headlights, and the cold weather package - the only thing missing was the sport package. He wanted the sport package, but he wasn't crazy about having to buy all-season tires and sell the summer tires, plus the car only has 7,000 miles on it, and gets the Audi Certified Pre-Owned 100,000 mile warranty. So, he felt it was a fair trade off to lose the sport package and gain the warranty coverage, plus a solid discount off of buying new (and having to wait three months, while driving a rental).

Once we got it home:
- Valentine One hard-wired
- 4" tint-band at the top of the windshield
- I did a full detail on it: washed everything with Dawn, Sonax on the wheels, clayed everything, re-washed everything with Dawn, then polished with a Flex rotary using Zaino Z-AIO, then Z-5, then Z-2.
- The next day I had the X-Pel Ultimate film installed on the fascia, full hood & fenders, A-pillars, front roof, door edge guards, full lower rocker panels, and full rear bumper.
- A week later, I did another three coats of Zaino on top of the X-Pel Ultimate (and the entire car), again with the Flex rotary, first with Z-AIO, then Z-5, then Z-2. I followed it up with Z-CS Clear Seal on all the nooks and crannies, like all the plastic trim, and then I coated all of the glass with AquaPel. The photos aren't great, but I couldn't pull the car outside for photos, as it was sleeting/snowing here in Chicago.

Randy
Attached Images      
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car got from the port (Davisville, RI) to the dealer (South NJ) in about 3-4 days vs the initial estimates of 2 weeks! Probably because the dealer was close to the port.

Congrats on the A7! Love the color.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Default Monday is my D-Day

Got a text late today that my S7 will be arriving via truck tonight/tomorrow so I'll be able to pick it up on Monday! I already told the dealer I didn't want them washing/detailing it, just unwrapping it and installing the DWS tires for me. I've already purchased WeatherTech Floorliners for front/back/hatch area, and I'll likely get the 3M Crystalline Tint installed sometime before summer.

I'll try to get some photos posted once I detail it (I'm a 15-year Zaino user, but this will be the first time I'll be using Gtechniq products) and get the X-Pel Ultimate wrap done, and some pictures of the interior once I have the V1 and remote display wired in. I'm still debating on what iPhone mount to go with, but I'm leaning towards the dash-mounted Pro-Clip. I'm considering having LoJack installed as well, but I don't know anyone personally who has used it.

Randy
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RandyChicago

- 4" tint-band at the top of the windshield
- The next day I had the X-Pel Ultimate film installed on the fascia, full hood & fenders, A-pillars, front roof, door edge guards, full lower rocker panels, and full rear bumper.
Randy
Hello Randy,
I live in the burbs of Chicago and my A7 is scheduled for delivery next week, hopefully. Also looking to get tinting and clear bra done, Can you tell me where you got them done and specifically how much you paid for them?

Appreciate your help!
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
.... so I'll be able to pick it up on Monday!
That's the way to brighten up a Monday! Congratz!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

vishkey -

I decided to post a new thread with my delivery experience, photos, as well as the details you're looking for about the paint protection and tinting, here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845170

Randy