S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Moving from a Mercedes S-class to Audi S7

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from a Mercedes S-class to Audi S7

A couple years back, I had posted on this forum about looking at an S5 and, to a lesser extent, the S7, as a move from my current Mercedes S coupe, and I got some great feedback.

Since then:
- The MB S coupe has been discontinued;
- The MB E coupe is rumored to be discontinued after MY23;
- Who knows what the MB "CLE" coupe will be like;
- The S5 was fun but not for me;
- I test drove a BMW M 8-series coupe and found it wasn't for me;
- I realized I have a soft spot for the A7/S7 more so than the A5/S5.

Could anyone speak to the NVH/livability of the 2020+ S7 in terms of comfort/ride and interior quietness, with or without the dual-pane glass on Prestige models, or share any general observations on the cars in general, especially if you've spent any time in or cross-shopped the above?

Thinking about trying to order an S7 Prestige.

TIA.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I currently own a 2020 S7 Prestige with the S Sport Package (rear wheel steering, sport differential, etc) and 21” wheels. Currently own a 2019 AMG S65 Coupe. Owned a 2019 E450 Cabriolet and BMW M850i Convertible.

I wouldn’t own any luxury car without Acoustic Glass if it’s offered as an option. It’s a wonderful complement in the S7: drives are quiet and extremely comfortable. Prestige is the way to go. I also have the pricey Bang & Olufsen Advanced 3D Sound System in the S7 which is the best sound system I’ve ever heard in any car except for the one in my S65 Coupe, which comes standard with Burmester High-End Sound System. I’d say they are equally amazing.

But really - let’s hesitate before comparing the S7 to the S-Class coupe. The S-Class coupe is arguably the best car Mercedes ever made. Huge difference when compared to the S7. The S-Class is a true luxury vehicle. The S7 is like a 5-Series or an E-Class dressed up to be upmarket without being upmarket from those. I do like the interior of the S7 way better than Mercedes or BMW interiors in the E class or 5-Series. The S7 has a very handsome interior and dashboard. The touchscreens are beautiful and work well. If your S-Class coupe is 2018+ with the updated multimedia, I might prefer that system to the one in the S7. Interior is not even a conversation - the S-Class coupe interior looks like something from a luxury yacht.

The standard S7 sport seats (no massage or advanced contours) are nothing to compare with the massaging and multi-contoured seats of the S-Class coupe. Audi does offer comfort seats with massaging function, but these typically need to be ordered for a specific customer because dealers do not typically order these for inventory. I wish I had the comfort seats. The S Sport Seats are fine, but they are just that - fine. They aren’t special.

In the handling department, I cannot speak about your S-Class coupe versus the S7 because I likely have not driven the variant you might have unless it’s also an S65. I am spoiled by Magic Body Control, which for the 2-door S-class variants was available only in the AMG S65 Coupe. My S65 eats the S7 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the twisties despite its larger size and heft. It’s truly magical — the car leans into turns like a motorcyle does without any body roll - ever. Handles like a much smaller vehicle and speed is effortless whether there are twisties or not. The S7 handles well in Dynamic mode, but it leaves me wanting better handling on mountain and canyon roads. There’s definitely some body roll which I’d like to see mitigated in the RS7 variant, which I’ve never driven.

As we know, the S-class coupe is a larger car than the S7 and weighs about 200 pounds more. You’ll definitely notice this around town. The S7 feels smaller and nimbler around town. The seating position in the S-class coupe is pretty high - more than I prefer; it’s lower in the S7. Visibility in the S7 is excellent whereas visibility in the S-class coupe is a bit constrained. The S7 is extremely easy to drive every day, whereas I find myself needing to be extra, extra careful in my S65 (as I should be).

The ride quality of the S7 is excellent. The air suspension soaks up the bumps - shock absorption is excellent. It’s a great highway cruiser and in Dynamic mode it is sporty. Is the ride quality better than that in the S-class coupe? Probably not - but I’m not sure it needs to be bettter. The S-class coupe offers possibly the best ride quality of any car on the planet, so I’m not sure it’s fair to use it as a benchmark. You wouldn’t have any complaints about the ride quality in the S7.

While I’ve enjoyed my S7, I’m more of a sports car guy and therefore I am looking into ordering a 2024 RS7 (I expect a facelift to the A6/A7 line for 2024) with Dynamic Ride Control to better handle canyon and mountain roads on road trips when I’m not using my Boxster Spyder, Boxster GTS 4.0, or AMG SL63, which I love taking on road trips in Western NC and TN. Not sure if your usage of the S7 would be similar, so this aspect may not apply.

The S7 is quite fast. It goes like heck and it’s very quiet at very high speed. Is it S-class coupe quiet? Again — not fair to compare since the goal of Mercedes when designing the S-class coupe was to produce the quietest interior in the history of cars - and their press materials flatly stated that they achieved their objective. There’s significant weight added to the S-class coupe in sound deadening materials, which the S7 doesn’t have and wouldn’t have at its price point. Transmission in the S7 is very good but not perfection as in a BMW, a company which is unmatched in transmission tuning. The S7 sounds great too when the shifter is moved into sport mode - it opens up the valves and changes the character of the car. Want it quiet? Keep it in D mode.

If fuel economy or range are factors, the S7 is outstanding in those departments. For a car with more power, torque, and curb weight than a 996 Porsche 911 turbo, it’s amazing that it achieves more than 400 miles of range and averages over 20 miles per gallon on highways during very spirited driving. It logs about 27-28 mpg on the highway during most economical driving.

The S7 is extremely practical, and definitely more so than the S-class coupe. I like having my S7 as a sporty but very practical vehicle to complement my sports cars. The owner can fit a huge amount of belongings into the S7. I have loaded that thing with ridiculous amounts of stuff on trips or runs to Home Depot and Harbor Freight.

I think a move from an S-class coupe to an S7 would be a downgrade, but not a miserable one. If your S-class coupe is a 2017 or earlier, you might try to find a 2019 or 2020 with significant warranty remaining. Maybe even an AMG variant. The S7 wouldn’t be a bad choice, but you might wait for the facelift unless you’re looking to save a few dollars and go into a great pre-owned one, which makes plenty of sense as well.

As far as E-Class coupe and 8-Series coupe are compared, I think there’s no comparison at all — 8-Series takes the cake in just about every department except maybe the appearance department — I prefer the low, sporty, sinister, and one-off unique look of the 8-Series whereas the E-class coupe looks like a Mercedes and is one of the best looking Mercedes coupes ever made; but I think it’s a bit bulky for a car of its length. I also think the 8-Series coupe would be a better choice than the S7 if enhanced practicality is not a factor, but you’ve already said the 8-Series wasn’t for you (unless it deserves a second chance at consideration). Let’s remember there’s also an 8-Series Gran Coupe variant with 4 doors, which is a fairly large vehicle at an inch longer than the S-class coupe. For what it’s worth, the 8-Series coupe does have a pretty large trunk, and the seats do fold down (unlike in the S-class coupe). I like the 8-series because it’s unique, prestigious, offers excellent performance all around, and is somewhat practical; the big negative is that interior is very plain and unimpressive (and probably a contributing reason as to why it was a significant failure for BMW and its dealers for a long while). I also think lack of availability of massaging seats in an 8-series was a design failure.

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Last edited by 348SStb; 08-23-2022 at 11:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
b_adl_y (01-01-2023), kelisko (01-25-2023)
Old 08-23-2022, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I currently own a 2020 S7 Prestige with the S Sport Package (rear wheel steering, sport differential, etc) and 21” wheels. Currently own a 2019 AMG S65 Coupe. Owned a 2019 E450 Cabriolet and BMW M850i Convertible.

I wouldn’t own any luxury car without Acoustic Glass if it’s offered as an option. It’s a wonderful complement in the S7: drives are quiet and extremely comfortable. Prestige is the way to go. I also have the pricey Bang & Olufsen Advanced 3D Sound System in the S7 which is the best sound system I’ve ever heard in any car except for the one in my S65 Coupe, which comes standard with Burmester High-End Sound System. I’d say they are equally amazing.

But really - let’s hesitate before comparing the S7 to the S-Class coupe. The S-Class coupe is arguably the best car Mercedes ever made. Huge difference when compared to the S7. The S-Class is a true luxury vehicle. The S7 is like a 5-Series or an E-Class dressed up to be upmarket without being upmarket from those. I do like the interior of the S7 way better than Mercedes or BMW interiors in the E class or 5-Series. The S7 has a very handsome interior and dashboard. The touchscreens are beautiful and work well. If your S-Class coupe is 2018+ with the updated multimedia, I might prefer that system to the one in the S7. Interior is not even a conversation - the S-Class coupe interior looks like something from a luxury yacht.

The standard S7 sport seats (no massage or advanced contours) are nothing to compare with the massaging and multi-contoured seats of the S-Class coupe. Audi does offer comfort seats with massaging function, but these typically need to be ordered for a specific customer because dealers do not typically order these for inventory. I wish I had the comfort seats. The S Sport Seats are fine, but they are just that - fine. They aren’t special.

In the handling department, I cannot speak about your S-Class coupe versus the S7 because I likely have not driven the variant you might have unless it’s also an S65. I am spoiled by Magic Body Control, which for the 2-door S-class variants was available only in the AMG S65 Coupe. My S65 eats the S7 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the twisties despite its larger size and heft. It’s truly magical — the car leans into turns like a motorcyle does without any body roll - ever. Handles like a much smaller vehicle and speed is effortless whether there are twisties or not. The S7 handles well in Dynamic mode, but it leaves me wanting better handling on mountain and canyon roads. There’s definitely some body roll which I’d like to see mitigated in the RS7 variant, which I’ve never driven.

As we know, the S-class coupe is a larger car than the S7 and weighs about 200 pounds more. You’ll definitely notice this around town. The S7 feels smaller and nimbler around town. The seating position in the S-class coupe is pretty high - more than I prefer; it’s lower in the S7. Visibility in the S7 is excellent whereas visibility in the S-class coupe is a bit constrained. The S7 is extremely easy to drive every day, whereas I find myself needing to be extra, extra careful in my S65 (as I should be).

The ride quality of the S7 is excellent. The air suspension soaks up the bumps - shock absorption is excellent. It’s a great highway cruiser and in Dynamic mode it is sporty. Is the ride quality better than that in the S-class coupe? Probably not - but I’m not sure it needs to be bettter. The S-class coupe offers possibly the best ride quality of any car on the planet, so I’m not sure it’s fair to use it as a benchmark. You wouldn’t have any complaints about the ride quality in the S7.

While I’ve enjoyed my S7, I’m more of a sports car guy and therefore I am looking into ordering a 2024 RS7 (I expect a facelift to the A6/A7 line for 2024) with Dynamic Ride Control to better handle canyon and mountain roads on road trips when I’m not using my Boxster Spyder, Boxster GTS 4.0, or AMG SL63, which I love taking on road trips in Western NC and TN. Not sure if your usage of the S7 would be similar, so this aspect may not apply.

The S7 is quite fast. It goes like heck and it’s very quiet at very high speed. Is it S-class coupe quiet? Again — not fair to compare since the goal of Mercedes when designing the S-class coupe was to produce the quietest interior in the history of cars - and their press materials flatly stated that they achieved their objective. There’s significant weight added to the S-class coupe in sound deadening materials, which the S7 doesn’t have and wouldn’t have at its price point. Transmission in the S7 is very good but not perfection as in a BMW, a company which is unmatched in transmission tuning. The S7 sounds great too when the shifter is moved into sport mode - it opens up the valves and changes the character of the car. Want it quiet? Keep it in D mode.

If fuel economy or range are factors, the S7 is outstanding in those departments. For a car with more power, torque, and curb weight than a 996 Porsche 911 turbo, it’s amazing that it achieves more than 400 miles of range and averages over 20 miles per gallon on highways during very spirited driving. It logs about 27-28 mpg on the highway during most economical driving.

The S7 is extremely practical, and definitely more so than the S-class coupe. I like having my S7 as a sporty but very practical vehicle to complement my sports cars. The owner can fit a huge amount of belongings into the S7. I have loaded that thing with ridiculous amounts of stuff on trips or runs to Home Depot and Harbor Freight.

I think a move from an S-class coupe to an S7 would be a downgrade, but not a miserable one. If your S-class coupe is a 2017 or earlier, you might try to find a 2019 or 2020 with significant warranty remaining. Maybe even an AMG variant. The S7 wouldn’t be a bad choice, but you might wait for the facelift unless you’re looking to save a few dollars and go into a great pre-owned one, which makes plenty of sense as well.

As far as E-Class coupe and 8-Series coupe are compared, I think there’s no comparison at all — 8-Series takes the cake in just about every department except maybe the appearance department — I prefer the low, sporty, sinister, and one-off unique look of the 8-Series whereas the E-class coupe looks like a Mercedes and is one of the best looking Mercedes coupes ever made; but I think it’s a bit bulky for a car of its length. I also think the 8-Series coupe would be a better choice than the S7 if enhanced practicality is not a factor, but you’ve already said the 8-Series wasn’t for you (unless it deserves a second chance at consideration). Let’s remember there’s also an 8-Series Gran Coupe variant with 4 doors, which is a fairly large vehicle at an inch longer than the S-class coupe. For what it’s worth, the 8-Series coupe does have a pretty large trunk, and the seats do fold down (unlike in the S-class coupe). I like the 8-series because it’s unique, prestigious, offers excellent performance all around, and is somewhat practical; the big negative is that interior is very plain and unimpressive (and probably a contributing reason as to why it was a significant failure for BMW and its dealers for a long while). I also think lack of availability of massaging seats in an 8-series was a design failure.

Happy to answer any additional questions.
This is excellent. Thank you for taking the time.

I have a pre-facelift 550 coupe at over 60k miles (and an expiring CPO warranty next summer), in part because of what was available at the time, and in part because I needed the AWD capability for weather.

So, no S65 (and no MBC) for me, and there were no feasible S63s at the time. I also couldn't get the high-end Burmester option, much as I wanted it. "Base" hasn't been bad, at least.

Part of my thinking in all of this was that the S7 ride would assuredly be quite nice, and the interior quality would be quite good, if not S-class level. It sounds like you would agree with that. Unfortunately, I have no ability to test drive an S7 and see for myself, as there is no such car readily around me.

My priorities are more towards comfort/daily driver niceties, then performance, as this is a daily driver, especially as these options have "enough" performance to keep me interested. I unfortunately wouldn't be able to do much mountain/canyon driving, but I do enjoy a good spirited ride sometimes.

Looks like CPO 2019 S560s can be had at < 50k miles in the $80-90k range, before paying for an extra year or two of CPO warranty; alternatively, a BTO 2023 S7 optioned as I'd want it would be $110k or so. Didn't know about an anticipated or possible 2024 facelift as I'm still learning the Audi side.

I do have just a couple questions for you:

Even though both are good options, which of those two options just above would you choose given your hands-on experience in light of my situation? Part of me thinks paying another $20-30k for a brand new car, zero miles, which is also a change and something different for me, for a model still actively manufactured, built just how I want it, while keeping much of the generalities of what I like about my current car, makes sense.

Conversely, paying $20-$30k less for a vehicle seen as a pinnacle of the industry shy of the Bentley/RR options, in a vehicle I know I already like, which has that slightly more refined ride, with a somewhat more refined yacht-like interior, and which I will not always be able to get like this as they're discontinued in an industry leaning towards SUVs whether electric or not, is also justifiable. I also feel like the daily driver after this one would most likely be electric, but that it may happen sooner with a CPO S560/S63 than it would with a BTO S7.

And, as finer details: I remember the press materials and articles you're talking about in the quietness achieved in the S coupe. With the S7 being very quiet as you said, how much of a difference would you say there is between that and your S65? And as a finer, finer detail... I'm a black car guy in a climate not conducive to black cars and their detail-obsessive owners like me, but my previous car was black, and I just had to "let go" and tolerate some swirls and snow issues. If I did an S7, I feel like white or silver highlights its design lines best, much more so than black; I'm curious if you feel similarly since you live with one, or if dark paints still show design lines just fine in person.

Thank you again. This is very helpful.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by exigence
This is excellent. Thank you for taking the time.

I have a pre-facelift 550 coupe at over 60k miles (and an expiring CPO warranty next summer), in part because of what was available at the time, and in part because I needed the AWD capability for weather.

So, no S65 (and no MBC) for me, and there were no feasible S63s at the time. I also couldn't get the high-end Burmester option, much as I wanted it. "Base" hasn't been bad, at least.

Part of my thinking in all of this was that the S7 ride would assuredly be quite nice, and the interior quality would be quite good, if not S-class level. It sounds like you would agree with that. Unfortunately, I have no ability to test drive an S7 and see for myself, as there is no such car readily around me.

My priorities are more towards comfort/daily driver niceties, then performance, as this is a daily driver, especially as these options have "enough" performance to keep me interested. I unfortunately wouldn't be able to do much mountain/canyon driving, but I do enjoy a good spirited ride sometimes.

Looks like CPO 2019 S560s can be had at < 50k miles in the $80-90k range, before paying for an extra year or two of CPO warranty; alternatively, a BTO 2023 S7 optioned as I'd want it would be $110k or so. Didn't know about an anticipated or possible 2024 facelift as I'm still learning the Audi side.

I do have just a couple questions for you:

Even though both are good options, which of those two options just above would you choose given your hands-on experience in light of my situation? Part of me thinks paying another $20-30k for a brand new car, zero miles, which is also a change and something different for me, for a model still actively manufactured, built just how I want it, while keeping much of the generalities of what I like about my current car, makes sense.

Conversely, paying $20-$30k less for a vehicle seen as a pinnacle of the industry shy of the Bentley/RR options, in a vehicle I know I already like, which has that slightly more refined ride, with a somewhat more refined yacht-like interior, and which I will not always be able to get like this as they're discontinued in an industry leaning towards SUVs whether electric or not, is also justifiable. I also feel like the daily driver after this one would most likely be electric, but that it may happen sooner with a CPO S560/S63 than it would with a BTO S7.

And, as finer details: I remember the press materials and articles you're talking about in the quietness achieved in the S coupe. With the S7 being very quiet as you said, how much of a difference would you say there is between that and your S65? And as a finer, finer detail... I'm a black car guy in a climate not conducive to black cars and their detail-obsessive owners like me, but my previous car was black, and I just had to "let go" and tolerate some swirls and snow issues. If I did an S7, I feel like white or silver highlights its design lines best, much more so than black; I'm curious if you feel similarly since you live with one, or if dark paints still show design lines just fine in person.

Thank you again. This is very helpful.
I think buying a 2018+ S560 at this time with around 40k miles when the market still has not fully corrected would be a reach. I advise to wait until December-Jan-Feb when the market has fully died down and the correction in the auto industry that’s happening as we speak is in better view.

In January, I would advise considering a really nice 10k-25k-mile S560 or S63.

I hesitate to recommend an S560 over the S7. The S560 isn’t going to offer you much more than that to which you’ve become accustomed as a result of your S550 ownership. S63 is a different story. That thing is an absolute beast, and I’d advise serious consideration of used a 2018+ variant over a new S7.

The S-class coupe is really quiet. Like serene quiet. There’s no other car like it. If the S-class coupe is 10/10 quiet, and if we are grading tough (as we should), then the S7 is an 8/10. The interior noise in the S7 is pretty quiet, and I doubt you’d complain if you were able to discern the difference.

I happen to despise the idea of painting any car black, and I made an exception for my S65 (which is black) because with only some 35 coupes brought in to the US per year in 2018 and 2019, I wasn’t in a position to say no when I found an absolutely perfect example. My S7 is Navarra Blue which is a darker blue but quite electric looking. It suits the S7 very well and shows the lines nicely. The color is no longer offered, and so if I were ordering one I would consider silver, grey, or white metallic.

A new, facelift S7 wouldn’t be a bad choice against a used S-class coupe 2018+. It’s a tough call. The 2018+ S560/S63 is a superior class of car than the current S7, but the facelift S7 will offer full warranty and perhaps some refinements in performance and infotainment; and you’d have the latest and greatest as well as a fast car that’s surprisingly economical and very practical with all its space. On the other hand, assuming money isn’t an issue, and prices on the 2018+ S63 fall as they should and cost of entry is similar, I imagine it would be difficult to say no to the mighty AMG S63 Coupe.

I can’t make the decision for you, but I can offer you my S7 to try. I like the S7 just fine, as it’s a great daily driver and highway crusher. When I step into my black S65 coupe, though, I know and feel that I’m stepping into the German batmobile.

Tough problems to have 😃

Last edited by 348SStb; 08-24-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I think buying a 2018+ S560 at this time with around 40k miles when the market still has not fully corrected would be a reach. I advise to wait until December-Jan-Feb when the market has fully died down and the correction in the auto industry that’s happening as we speak is in better view.

In January, I would advise considering a really nice 10k-25k-mile S560 or S63.

I hesitate to recommend an S560 over the S7. The S560 isn’t going to offer you much more than that to which you’ve become accustomed as a result of your S550 ownership. S63 is a different story. That thing is an absolute beast, and I’d advise serious consideration of used a 2018+ variant over a new S7.

The S-class coupe is really quiet. Like serene quiet. There’s no other car like it. If the S-class coupe is 10/10 quiet, and if we are grading tough (as we should), then the S7 is an 8/10. The interior noise in the S7 is pretty quiet, and I doubt you’d complain if you were able to discern the difference.

I happen to despise the idea of painting any car black, and I made an exception for my S65 (which is black) because with only some 35 coupes brought in to the US per year in 2018 and 2019, I wasn’t in a position to say no when I found an absolutely perfect example. My S7 is Navarra Blue which is a darker blue but quite electric looking. It suits the S7 very well and shows the lines nicely. The color is no longer offered, and so if I were ordering one I would consider silver, grey, or white metallic.

A new, facelift S7 wouldn’t be a bad choice against a used S-class coupe 2018+. It’s a tough call. The 2018+ S560/S63 is a superior class of car than the current S7, but the facelift S7 will offer full warranty and perhaps some refinements in performance and infotainment; and you’d have the latest and greatest as well as a fast car that’s surprisingly economical and very practical with all its space. On the other hand, assuming money isn’t an issue, and prices on the 2018+ S63 fall as they should and cost of entry is similar, I imagine it would be difficult to say no to the mighty AMG S63 Coupe.

I can’t make the decision for you, but I can offer you my S7 to try. I like the S7 just fine, as it’s a great daily driver and highway crusher. When I step into my black S65 coupe, though, I know and feel that I’m stepping into the German batmobile.

Tough problems to have 😃
Thank you again for the insight! Did respond to the PM; appreciate your help. I troll CPO listings for S63s periodically, but thus far, I haven't found one "just right" options-wise except for a 2016 example long ago which I didn't go for because of its year and its mileage. I quite possibly am being too picky for such a low-volume, since-discontinued vehicle. Tough problems indeed.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 404 Likes on 335 Posts

@348SStb Your comparison of the S7 and the S-Class Coupé is truly excellent! It deserves to be published for more people to read. Thanks for taking the time to write it down a very professional way.
The following users liked this post:
ToymanS7 (04-14-2024)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
@348SStb Your comparison of the S7 and the S-Class Coupé is truly excellent! It deserves to be published for more people to read. Thanks for taking the time to write it down a very professional way.
Thank you for the compliment!
Old 08-30-2023, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is my own thread from over a year ago. Just as @348SStb offered some very helpful, detailed insights and comparisons, I thought I'd add my own preliminary thoughts in comparison between a non-AMG S-coupe and an S7, having finally taken delivery of the car.

I hope others find this helpful in a "pay it forward" / "return the favor" sort of way.

Many of my impressions are similar to his.

General comments:
1. I couldn't get down to invoice, but I did get a few thousand off MSRP at least, despite the current market;
2. There were no deletes on my vehicle (the semiconductor issues);
3. Prestige, S sport package, advanced audio package, standard air suspension (not the more sporty spring option), and the luxury seating/surfaces packages are applicable to this post.

Ride quality and NVH:
1. I was pleasantly surprised to find that 21" wheels on the S7, and the tuning of the suspension when in comfort mode, somehow offer a slightly more comfortable/smooth ride than my S coupe did when on smooth roads. I expected the opposite at 21" in a more sporty vehicle. I do not get the impression that this is simply due to brand-new summer tires versus the mid-life all-seasons on my previous car. The flip side is that when going over less than perfect roads with a bit of chop, or a series of expansion joints, there is certainly a bit more feedback on those roads than there was in the S coupe even while still in comfort mode, expectedly. However, it hasn't been particularly unpleasant.
2. Likely in part due to the four-wheel steering option that comes with the S sport package, the handling of the S7 is markedly better than the S coupe, also expectedly. Completely different vehicles. I wonder how they would compare if more apples to apples (no four-wheel steering as was not on my S coupe), but the sharper turn-in and "on rails" feeling of the S7 is a welcome return to the more sporty side, yet while still retaining comfort as above.
3. Noise insulation between the two: difficult to tell a significant difference thus far. Both vehicles have acoustic glass. The S coupe should be a bit quieter, and it may have been, but I found myself having to second-guess whether there was actually just a little bit more wind noise or not in the S7 when at higher speeds. It's that kind of difference. I do think I notice just a hint of exhaust noise and drone at certain engine speeds in the S7 even in its most comfortable setting, but again, I'm having to hunt for the difference. Perhaps I'll develop a better idea with more driving.

Audio:
1. Thus far, between the base Burmester system in the S coupe (not the "high-end" option) versus the advanced B&O option on the S7: I've not had a chance to completely optimize settings to my liking, but my preliminary impression is that the S7 has a better soundstage and better differentiation of audio channels despite being an in-car system. I'm still playing with it. The "base" Burmester was a great system also, but my only criticism of it was that despite my best efforts, the soundstage in that car often sounded a bit more blended together and muddled. Perhaps this was addressed in the high-end Burmester option.

Interior and build quality:
1. Excellent, except I hear a very faint intermittent rattle somewhere? Go figure. Should be an easy fix. Actual build quality and materials, especially with the luxury package, leave nothing to complain about. I don't miss the Dinamica headliner as much as I thought I might which was no longer an option on MY23, though I would have added it if it were.
2. The luxury seating package (and resultant seats) are noticeably not the captain's seats from the S class, as expected, but they're also very appropriate to the car and the package. That is, they're quite comfortable without being more plush than they should be, if that makes sense.
3. Active seat ventilation is significantly more effective and comfortable in the S7 than it was in the S class where it was negligible. Actually felt downright chilly after awhile.
4. The seat massage function in the S7 also exerts more force on its maximum setting than the S class could on its maximum setting.

Performance:
1. I am respecting Audi's official recommended 600 mile break-in period, not to exceed two-thirds of redline, so... we'll see. Even so, the S7 is noticeably no slouch.
2. I much prefer the S7's eight-speed transmission to the seven-speed in my previous S coupe. Smoother in my very limited exposure thus far.
3. I do slightly miss the V8 exhaust note of the S class versus the S7, even with the sport exhaust as contained in the S sport package. This also may change as I get more "on it" after the break-in period and play more with Drive Select and exhaust options.

Miscellaneous:
1. Carpeting in the hatch is noticeably of a thinner pile than the upholstery was in the trunk of the S class. Not "cheap," per se, just different, and mentioned only for folks who have a more discerning taste and eye for vehicles. The crease left from the floor of the hatch which folds up to access the subwoofer, tow hardware, and tire mobility equipment, seems weird and as if an unfinished application of adhesive on the underside of the panel to join the carpeting in a car of this caliber. File this under "do I really care?"
2. Did Audi get rid of ionizer and fragrance options at some point up to 2023 in the A7/S7? I don't see those options in my US-spec vehicle as I expected to... I don't believe there was any other selectable option I could have added, like the old Air Quality package in some markets and vehicles, that would have added it at time of build.
3. This car screams for something like 35%-50% VLT ceramic tint.
4. I know there's the gentleman who offers aftermarket unlocking of the headlight matrix function, but as it has been legal in the US per the NHTSA for some time now, I sure hope Audi addresses this officially in the near future. Neither my dealership nor Audi of America could offer any insight as to whether there was any hope for unlocking this functionality.