S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

S Sport Steel Adaptive Steel Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There seems to be a lot of confusion. Yes, the S Sport adaptive steel suspension replaces the air suspension. They are two completely different suspensions. Both are adaptive, meaning they have comfort, auto and dynamic modes, but the standard air suspension as the name says uses air springs while the S Sport suspension uses steel springs. In the latter case the springs are fixed rate and only the dampers are adjustable, whereas with an air suspension, the air springs and the dampers are adjustable. Generally, air suspensions are geared more towards comfort because of their ability to adjust the spring rates in addition to the damping, and steel spring suspensions are better for handling. They are firmer and less floaty with less roll. In terms of which one is considered an upgrade depends on your perspective. In Europe, the S Sport steel suspension is the standard suspension and the air suspension is an additional cost option, but in the USA, because many people prefer a softer ride, the air suspension is standard, whereas the S Sport suspension is considered an upgrade for those who want better handling and a firmer suspension and less body roll. It comes down to whether you prefer comfort over handling, or handling over comfort. BTW, the S Sport steel suspension is also lighter, because it doesn't need an air tank and compressor. That's all added weight in case of the air suspension.

Also, the S Sport suspension is not the same as the RS5 suspension. The RS5 suspension is unique for RS models. It diagonally connects the dampers for active squat, dive and roll control. It's basically a form of adaptive sway bar in addition to adaptive damping.
Spot on. And it is good to see AoA offering the suspension option, at least in the US market, as they haven't always done this. I went to the Canadian site as I couldn't understand Valgus' comment, and adaptive air suspension seems the only suspension offered. Perhaps they had some configurator issues back in February.

I found the adaptive air suspension on the C7 S7 way too soft - it felt like an A7 with a big engine. And Audi did not offer a firmer, more sports oriented suspension on the C7 S models. Bizarre.

I also looked at the Motor1 review. The car was on 21" wheels, and they never addressed the S Sport suspension behaviour in different drive modes. Certainly, if people want a luxury car bias, then the default adaptive air suspension seems a sound choice for the NA market. Assuming you like Audi's air suspension, and I don't. And if people are concerned about ride quality, 21" wheels may not be the best idea. This is not an SUV.

But there have been many reviews of the S7 (the diesel version uses the same suspension, carries a little more weight over the front axle), and the general consensus seems that the ride on S Sport suspension in Comfort mode is good. Even with 21" wheels 😂

Interesting car though.
The following users liked this post:
Nightrider007 (04-24-2024)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Valgus

Your post implies that by adding the option for Sport suspension, you are deleting the “air” option. The above is an order sheet for the S7 which clearly states that the sport suspension option 1BQ has “damper control Adaptive Air Suspension”. Please keep in mind that this is the Canadian order guide but I believe the options are the same.
I'm not just implying it. The Sport suspension does delete the air suspension. That order sheet clearly has a typo. There's even a space missing if you look closely. Somebody forgot to delete the Air suspension part on that option. There's really no doubt about it. A steel suspension is not an air suspension and an air suspension is not a steel suspension. They are mutually exclusive. You don't have to be an expert in suspension technology, the difference is right in the name.

The US configurator even shows a picture of the S Sport suspension where you can clearly see that it uses steel springs instead of airbags to make it clear. It's technically actually a coilover suspension with adaptive damping. You can see the springs are over the dampers. Instead of having separate dampers and springs. I'm sure you can find a schematic somewhere of the air suspension if you do some digging and can do a side-by-side comparison if you still have doubts.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-28-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, a typo wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities but you do notice that the option states it is just Sports Suspension and nowhere does it say that there are steel springs (at least on the Canadian version). At the bare minimum you can see why all of this combined is confusing. Air or no air, I highly recommend this option.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for all the feedback. I the OP and I must say the confusion is not just mine alone, with that being said I can tell you I love the S sport suspension and I don't feel the ride to be harsh at all. I did indeed have air suspension in my former car which was Porsche and this vehicle does NOT have air suspension. It is a fixed, damper controlled steel suspension for sure and you notice it immediately on drive #1. Two totally different technologies with air being floaty for some and the steel suspension being engaged with active road feedback.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
Thank you for all the feedback. I the OP and I must say the confusion is not just mine alone, with that being said I can tell you I love the S sport suspension and I don't feel the ride to be harsh at all. I did indeed have air suspension in my former car which was Porsche and this vehicle does NOT have air suspension. It is a fixed, damper controlled steel suspension for sure and you notice it immediately on drive #1. Two totally different technologies with air being floaty for some and the steel suspension being engaged with active road feedback.
IMO Porsche's three stage air suspension seems to work better than the 2 stage system Audi use.

Originally Posted by Valgus
Well, a typo wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities but you do notice that the option states it is just Sports Suspension and nowhere does it say that there are steel springs (at least on the Canadian version). At the bare minimum you can see why all of this combined is confusing. Air or no air, I highly recommend this option.
It is a typo - 1BQ is the S Sport suspension, with steel springs and adaptive dampers. The adaptive air suspension is 1BK.

I always refer to the German site when I want to understand differences in options. They have the best descriptions, and you can see all the individual PN codes for everything on the car in terms of both standard and optional equipment when you do configurations. Details tend to get lost in translation by distributors, or mixed up as happened on the Canadian order form. The dealers often have no idea, and there is an unfortunate tendency with some to just make it up as they go.

That review quoted earlier by Baloo is clearly rubbish given the comments from the two fo you in this thread, who actually have the S Sport suspension. Perhaps the tyres on their S Sport car were inflated to door sticker pressures, I doubt the reviewer bothered to check 😂

Valgus (03-30-2020)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 A7 looking to buy a 2020 S7. The two S7s I have come across-- one has Adaptive Steel Suspension ("deletes air suspension"), has the S Sport Package (dark gray color). The other one is the dark blue color (which I like) with black optic package (which I don't like), no S Sport Package. Both have B&O and Prestige packages.

Coming from a 2013 A7 (Prestige)-- how will I like the adaptive steel suspension? Why does it matter between the two, as long as they are both adaptive, how they achieve the changing of stiffness? I mostly drive highway with the settings set at dynamic for engine and comfort for steering (in my A7).

Old 01-04-2021, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Trust me on this one. Go with the sport suspension, way better handling and lower. The whole idea that it has a harsh ride is nonsense. I am saying this from the perspective of living in a harsh winter climate with terrible roads. Sport Suspension all the way.
Nightrider007 (04-24-2024)