Should Utah and Idaho audi club members form their own chapter,

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Utah and Idaho audi club members form their own chapter,

It seems to me that the Utah and Idaho audi club members would be better off with our own chapter. Still being pretty new to this area, I would like some feedback on this topic. We really do not receive much from the RMC. I am sure we would be able to cooperate together on driving events, such as the DE at the track and on events such as the winter driving schools. But last year, when I had at least one potential new sponsor here in Utah, they were not given a very friendly welcome by the RMC. I have spoken to a couple more potential sponsors, and since Strong is already a sponsor, I am sure that we could line up plenty of sponsorship for events.

Please let me know your thoughts on this topic.

Thanks, Clark
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default YES

But we would also need to involve other dealers besides just Strong's. Garff and Cutrubus should also be involved. I know from personal contacts at Garff that they have been snubbed by RMC in the past. I've even been told by a member of the RMC board not to attempt to involve other dealers besides Strong's. In other areas the Club works with multiple dealers in the region, not just one.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Strongs or what they are doing, but for RMC to exclude Audi dealers is wrong.

MMP is in our area, so having an outside group come in and manage the DE event and treat the local members and potential sponsors as the outsiders isn't right.

John
Old 12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm 50/50 on this

I agree the RMC is almost entirely focused on the Denver and surrounding areas, rarely giving us the time of day. I look back at 2005 when I tried to get Detailers Paradise out here to do a demo/instruction session and the owner wanted his travel expenses comped by the club. Ok, reasonable enough. I tried 3-4 times before giving up to see if that was possible from RMC, basically never got an answer.

But the other side of the problem is, how many enthusiasts do we really have here in Utah and Idaho? The kind willing to step up and help out, that have the time to do so. How many enthusiasts do we have that would regularly show up to events?

Also, other than a title, what exactly would this get us? AFAIK, the regional clubs receive little to no money from national (one of my biggest complaints).
Old 12-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: I'm 50/50 on this

Jeff: There is talk at the national level of some of the dues coming back to the chapters. Also, if we have a little more control over our own area, maybe we can get some more active people. I bet we can get the other two dealerships interested, and at least a couple other vendors. With a little support, we can hopefully, get members to some activities. A spoke with a couple of the salesman at Ken Gariff the other day, and they did not even know about the club. I look at the number of Audis that I see each day on the road, and i bet most owners do not even know about the club. We need the dealerships and other vendors to help advertise the club.

If we can get a few other interested, I think we can get the club going here in Utah and Idaho.

Thanks, Clark
Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup, I don't know how many more people we could get involved...

It seems many people who already know about it make some of the events. If people aren't enthusiastic about the cars they drive, they won't care, it is just transportation on whatever level makes them feel better.

Honestly pretty much the only reason I am a member is to drive at the winter driving event. I can go drive MMP for much cheaper then the ACNA event any time with the SCCA.

It would be nice to see more local events however. But as with everything, people are busy and sometimes can't make a meet or afford to shell out what will certainly be more then $400 for a MMP event for 2 days (plus cost in car preperation).

But if you want to do it Clark, step up and do it! I will try to be all I can be as an ANCA member.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm 50/50 on this

Clark,

I know for a fact that Garff is interested. I've had discussions at levels above sales people. Garff sponsors 3 track days per year under the Porsche banner and I got them to invite Audis last year to the events as well.

RMC is why the other dealerships are not involved. They feel that if they involve other dealers then Strong's will pull the plug on what they have done so far.

Let me know where I can help.

John
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Default I think we have the attendance problem covered. You came to the meet at Liberty.

We had a good turnout. The drive was somewhat of a failure, only because we were at the park for so long. I think if we get a weekly event going on, the group will grow. I have seen groups at the park grow from drive- by's.
We just need more dedication from the Audi guys, on both of the drives I was on this month, the majority of the group consisted of VW's. I think we can pull it together.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

2nd
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default past history indicates otherwise

events held in the past as part of the Audi Club have generally had the same 5-10 people over and over and over again. Until they just decide its not worth showing up anymore.

Using the VW GTG's as an indication regarding Audi ones is not a direct correlation. I've seen VW oriented meets with over 30 cars show up (most notably the Mirror Lake cruise in summer 2005). I think 8 cars is the most I've seen on an Audi oriented cruise.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM

True, Its a shame. All I can say is I will be there.

Quick Reply: Should Utah and Idaho audi club members form their own chapter,