A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Yes, either the 146 or 148 will work,
Absolutely right as the MMI 2G [-148] is a MMI 2G [-146] wth digital tuner added and everything else the same.

The analog version is useless for TV throughout Europe but the Digital one is still valuable as it's compatible with current TV in most, if not all, Europe.

The consequence is that -146 have almost no value [up to $50 maybe] and the -148 still commands about $250 or more. Not always what you see on ebay though ...

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-11-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the info. All we need is something inexpensive for media streaming
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Slowly but surely... One question about TV Tuner for the experts

One came...
Since Tom started this thread, quite a few people asked me about the AMI via TV tuner - Let's make this thread as informative as possible - PLEASE. I did test mine without the Video input and it worked but then again, I had the FBAS and back up camera unit + newer CAN GATEWAY, so it doesn't seem 100% proven since the system already recorded my FBAS with RVC. Did anyone try with 04-06 with NO FBAS installed?
If one doesn't want to retrofit or going through the hassle of CP with replacement of an "A" version of the HU, can one still use the TV Tuner as Audio input only without the FBAS circuit installed? Here is the reason for people to get this TV tuner.
1- Very inexpensive < $100 with everything - $50 for the unit + optical cables.
2- With $15 for an Audio Bluetooth and Ground Loop Noise Filter.
3- Great sound through bluetooth even connected in the trunk next to the TV tuner.

Anyhow, I bought 3 Video Processing Chips - 3 Fakra connectors - Tom's system only needs one - Assuming all of them working then I have 2 sets left - Yes, I need to get all the parts for the circuit. PM me if you want yours to be retrofitted - without CP and only if you Trust my work. I'm not here to make money, so don't worry about me ripping you off - Just want to be nice to nice people. It will be my cost + your shipping + my expert rework person's lunch.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
... - Let's make this thread as informative as possible - PLEASE. I did test mine without the Video input and it worked but then again, I had the FBAS and back up camera unit + newer CAN GATEWAY, so it doesn't seem 100% proven since the system already recorded my FBAS with RVC. Did anyone try with 04-06 with NO FBAS installed?
Cheers,
Louis
On the basis of making this thread informative; I believe that:

1) The revised Control Head [suffix A - with the green FBAS connector] is only needed to connect the video signal from the reversing camera and the European TV unit [or its Aux sockets]. If you're planning on using the audio signals from the Aux sockets of the TV, you don't need a CH with the green input, as the audio signals go via the optical bus. [The video signal is real time to the MMI screen but the audio is sent optically to the amp].

To clarify: if you want 'sound from the boot' you don't need the CH with the green video input [no suffix]; if you want video [DVD, external TV], you will want the CH with the green video input [suffix A]. A replacement CH will probably go into CP, but Louis seems to be offering a CH upgrade service to add the video connector, which won't go into CP but means you lose you CH for several days

2) The revised Gateway is needed for ACC [Adaptive Cruise Control].

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-14-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Clarify Video cable use
Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's great news for a lot of people. Now we need someone to set up and shows that's possible without the fbas in place (hu without the 'A'.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default ?????

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
That's great news for a lot of people. Now we need someone to set up and shows that's possible without the fbas in place (hu without the 'A'.
Cheers,
Louis
I have no idea what anything y'all been talking about in this thread means....but let me ask you this : What I want to be able to do is have the SOUND from my RSE video player come out over the Bose speakers...will the mod you all are discussing make that possible ? If so, sign me up !
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How do they come out now?

Originally Posted by awdinut
I have no idea what anything y'all been talking about in this thread means....but let me ask you this : What I want to be able to do is have the SOUND from my RSE video player come out over the Bose speakers...will the mod you all are discussing make that possible ? If so, sign me up !
Are you talking about the 2 little screen in the back of your seats? How do the back people hear the sound? I think GG has these too right?
If the rear people has to plug in the head phones, then how do you play the DVD for the people in the back to see the movie? It has it own screen to turn it on? You control by the MMI or just a button somewhere. I don't know how this work, but it must be quite easy to integrate from the DVD to the System?

Someone please explain how the RSE integrated to the car.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right now the only way to hear sound from the DVD player is through headphones, either IR or plug in type.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you play Radio or AMI while playing

Originally Posted by awdinut
Right now the only way to hear sound from the DVD player is through headphones, either IR or plug in type.
the DVD? If you can, then you can output the DVD to the system sound via TV tuner.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I can play the radio while there is a DVD playing. So what do I need to do to my car for me to have the sound play on the Bose system ?

Quick Reply: Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)