A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Memory Stick Recommendations & Question Re MP3s

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today i tried FRE-AC / FAAC encoder. It produced an .aac file similar size to mp3. The MMI only plays the .mp3 files, is does not show the .aac or .flac or .wav. I was going to try the aac and mp3 side by side to see if i notice a difference. The settings used were AAC selected and MPEG4. Should this file have played?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Lately I've been running around in an 89' Camaro as a daily, I have a cassette player and 4 speakers. It sounds like it's being filtered through 5 layers of wax paper no matter what, so you guys should count yourselves happy and realize you are arguing over the last degrees of quality before perfection.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried a few HD audio tracks not so long ago and i could not tel the difference between the HD and non HD flac files, same tracks. Maybe other peoples equipment and ears can notice a difference but i cant.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
Today i tried FRE-AC / FAAC encoder. It produced an .aac file similar size to mp3. The MMI only plays the .mp3 files, is does not show the .aac or .flac or .wav. I was going to try the aac and mp3 side by side to see if i notice a difference. The settings used were AAC selected and MPEG4. Should this file have played?
make sure your AMI is up to date. If you have the old firmware it will only play MP3 files.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
make sure your AMI is up to date. If you have the old firmware it will only play MP3 files.
I updated the MMi with the latest euro update discs, Julian was very helpful and advised me that i had the latest AMI firmware and i only needed to run disc 2 and 3. I will of course recheck the version on my AMI.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You need to get the AMI update and apply it. I think I uploaded the code here. Check the archives. If you can't find it, let me know.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Richard what do you mean by code? I downloaded the discs from here https://a6retrofit.com/blog/2014/02/...1-5570-5-5-70/

this is my version number, Julian said it was already the latest version, i cant verify this a si dont have the info on the AMI firmware

Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The AMI update came with the bluetooth adapter.

put this attached file on a USB stick and plug it in and see if the AMI updates.

BTW my AAC encoder produces .m4a suffixed files. Both my AMI units play them just fine.

Feel free to experiment. Maybe you will find something better.

The file format has nothing to do with the encoding. You could, in theory, take a mp3 and have it saved in a aac/mp4 file format.

This is what the directory should look like if you use my settings.

Attached Files
File Type: bin
AMI_update_080423.bin (2.51 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by richard-tx; 12-10-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If your car is a 2009 per your sig line...In 2009 all sorts of standards were different from today. Also, if you have an "SD" card media slot and a USB adapter for the other interface, be aware that the car has different limits for each of those.

Generally, every "radio" company on the planet has arbitrary limits as to how many files, folders, levels of folders, etc. they can accommodate. As well as a limit on the full path name to any file. In my case the "SD" card really is not an SD card slot. "SD" stops at 2GB in size. "SDHC" goes up to 32GB in size. "SDXC" extends to 64GB or 2TB (TB!) depending on how it is implemented. And AoA thinks they are all the same "SD" card, so documentation can be confusing.

If you put an SDXC card in an older car like mine, which only has an SDHC reader, the car simply reads the first 32GB and pretends nothing else is on the card. No error message, no nothing. But, I can put in a larger USB stick (128GB so far) and it all is recognized without any problem.

The USB stick may need to be formatted in FAT32 or exFAT, but I'd be surprised if you found any real size limits on the drive if the format was right. Sometimes you just need to try each, see what happens. And, just like the "SD" card, it may pay to actually test the number of folders you can have, as well as files. (Folks forget, even MSDOS could only accept 512 folders at the root level for many years. But if you moved them to a second level...you could easily have thousands of them.)

There are also Bluetooth receivers that plug into the same AMI/MMI cable slot, with varying results. They all are limited to specific years/models and all have idiosynchracies, but they also do allow your music to be streamed from a smartphone, and if a call comes in (or you are using other apps) the music gets muted, or lowered, while the phone comes in over the same connection, instead of the car's phone connections.

FWIW.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Speaking of A2DP or bluetooth, here are the Audi instructions for their bluetooth. Their bluetooth adapter does not sound good and is NLA. Anyway, it gives instructions on how to update the AMI.

Last edited by richard-tx; 12-10-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: USB Memory Stick Recommendations & Question Re MP3s