A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Buy back or let it go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buy back or let it go?

I had a light frontal collision in my A7 -- 2014 BiTdi with just about as many extras as you can list.

Both front airbags deployed even though we were stationary when the other car collided with my car - square on the front in the middle.

There is not a great deal of damage - bumper, grille, one headlight, front cross member and the radiator - possible also the condenser and also the front intercooler.

I have the option of buying it back with a non-structural damage title but I will have to carry out all the repairs.

In storage and subsequent transport - the accident happened in south west France, the battery must have decome discharged and someone connected a booster pack directly to the battery in the rear. Now it seems nothing powers on at all, not even any of the auxliary circuits.

I was expecting the pyro fuse to have gone but I am now wondering about what the extent of further electical damage may be as a result of this.

This is on the recovery truck the following day and you can see how the car still looks driveable.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is your dream car, and if you've put your own mods and flavor into the car, I'd buy it back.
Imo the hardest thing to repair would be the airbags, but its doable. If you do everything yourself, I think everything would cost you under 5 grand.

Also, I do recall that there is some sort of fuse just above the battery under the trunk that breaks in an accident to cut all electrical power, so worth looking into that.

It would be a shame to remove such a beautiful car from the road !!
The following users liked this post:
audi master (06-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear no one was hurt, or at least not severe as it was not mentioned, but if this is your dream car - then buy it back. Maybe weigh the pro/con list, if you're getting enough money to justify buying another then I would go that route personally.

You are right on the PYRO fuse, Audi along with many other companies, blows after airbag deployment; however the car is smart enough to determine severity but that too glitches, so its very possible that you would need VCDS to reset the computer as it too shuts that down to protect from restart... but I'm leaning towards the PYRO fuse since you said no accessories or the like when in 'on' position.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the input.

I have decided to negotiate the best deal with my insurance company and move on.

I would love to do the repairs myself but I don't have time or suitable workshop at my disposal.

I have found very nice 2016 A6 Allroad 3.0 tdi Sport so I am going down that route.

It's a shame because the A7 was beautiful and had virtually every option you can have.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Edd W Taken me a while to track you down and I can't find a way to PM you on here (maybe because I'm a new user) so thought I would post a reply here.
Really would love to talk to you about your Oettinger Gti ... my Dad built that engine.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi Radial,
That's interesting but it is not what it appears.

The engine was from Ted Toleman's personal Mk1 Gti that I bought when it was two years old. It was a 1981 car - OOL 566X and I kept it for about 5 years, then kept the engine when I sold it with a virtually new 1800cc Gti engine.

My car looked exactly like this https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ans-hot-vw-gti

Last edited by Edd W; 06-26-2020 at 05:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
radial (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi @Edd W
thanks for replying
Is there a way of PM’ing on here? Would be great to discuss further and probably not relevant to this random thread that I chose to reply on
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by radial
Hi @Edd W
thanks for replying
Is there a way of PM’ing on here? Would be great to discuss further and probably not relevant to this random thread that I chose to reply on
Click on the persons screen name and you will get a drop down menu. Chose the send private message.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Hi Radial,

The engine was from Ted Toleman's personal Mk1 Gti that I bought when it was two years old. It was a 1981 car - OOL 566X and I kept it for about 5 years, then kept the engine when I sold it with a virtually new 1800cc Gti engine.

My car looked exactly like this https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ans-hot-vw-gti

Hey @Edd W , sorry to keep bothering you I’ve PMd you about this, would be super if you could send me a PM back. Just want to pick your brains a little more about that car
Old 01-27-2023, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default OOL 566X

Originally Posted by Edd W
Hi Radial,

Hi edd I hope you see this I have acquired OOL 566X, with the 8V engine in it and I know it’s a long shot but do you still have the engine please email me back on willsteele558@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Buy back or let it go?