Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Newbie here, please go easy on me, but got a ton of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie here, please go easy on me, but got a ton of questions

Hi everyone,

newbie here! After being a BMW fanboy for 15+ years I've purchased my first Audi (2011 q5 2.0t)for my commuter car after test driving the q5 I just felt it was a better ride and deal than the x3s I was looking at. I am extremely excited to have my first audi but with that said I also have no experience with audis so please bear with me. I do want to say that I have an above-average level of knowledge working on cars (BMWs only though, I have a fairly modded m3 as my weekend car) so I do plan on tackling all the items myself and yes I've already done a TON of searching on the forums and found a lot of answers but just wanted to confirm some items.

1. The cargo area did not come with a privacy cover, I've been looking on eBay and looks like all the OEM ones are the hardshell type, not the pull and retracting type... did the q5s not come with the retracting style covers? I prefer that style but I only see aftermarket ones (which I'm fine with), also they seem to be fairly pricy, $200+, is that expected?

2. The car did not come with a backup camera and I have already figured out how to wire an OEM camera in with the module but my question is if it's worth it. I see a lot of people going aftermarket with android units and non-oem backup cameras. I wouldn't be opposed to go that route if it's more cost-effective or is a better product

3. The trunk does not unlatch with the trunk button, I need to use the key or press the button on the driver's side door, I did read something about a valet button in the glovebox but my key opens the trunk so that doesn't seem to be the issue, any suggestions?

4. The car came with halogen headlights, I'm debating swapping to xenons, I know it's not a straight plug and play, but just how complicated is it? is it even worth it?

5. The car does not make a chip sound when unlocking, it does when locking, is there a way to change that?

thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 10-30-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

forgot to add I have no mmi
Old 10-30-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

KWL, what country are you writing from? What do you mean when you say 'I have no MMI'?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
KWL, what country are you writing from? What do you mean when you say 'I have no MMI'?
I'm in California bay area (20 min south of san francisco), MMI I am referring the the navigation system + the wheel controls by the shifter, perhaps i'm not using the right terms lol. My car looks like the one on the right as opposed to the left pic

Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, you do have MMI like our 2015 Q5 has but without NAV.

Originally Posted by KwlAznKid

1. The cargo area did not come with a privacy cover, I've been looking on eBay and looks like all the OEM ones are the hardshell type, not the pull and retracting type... did the q5s not come with the retracting style covers? I prefer that style but I only see aftermarket ones (which I'm fine with), also they seem to be fairly pricy, $200+, is that expected?

I'll describe what's original equipment in our car: a hard shelf that covers the cargo area and can easily be removed. Our A6 wagon has a roller/window shade type cover.

2. The car did not come with a backup camera and I have already figured out how to wire an OEM camera in with the module but my question is if it's worth it. I see a lot of people going aftermarket with android units and non-oem backup cameras. I wouldn't be opposed to go that route if it's more cost-effective or is a better product

Can't comment, we have no back up camera.

3. The trunk does not unlatch with the trunk button, I need to use the key or press the button on the driver's side door, I did read something about a valet button in the glovebox but my key opens the trunk so that doesn't seem to be the issue, any suggestions?

I typically open the rear hatch when I'm sitting in the car and utilizing the button on the driver's door. I think I have to walk up to the vehicle and press the rubberized button above the license plate to open the rear hatch.

4. The car came with halogen headlights, I'm debating swapping to xenons, I know it's not a straight plug and play, but just how complicated is it? is it even worth it?

Can't comment on this but I would not tolerate halogen lighting in a car at this price point.

5. The car does not make a chip sound when unlocking, it does when locking, is there a way to change that?

It's possible someone was tinkering with the VCDS tool (or equivalent) and switched that around. Our cars do chirp at lock and flash exterior lights at un-lock. This can be modified with one of the available tools.
That's the best I can do. I don't drive the car very often and am doing this from memory, KWL. Our 2015 Q5 has about 85k miles now and has been essentially trouble-free apart from an alarming number of recalls, mostly air bag related. Good car, great fuel economy, solid machine. Please keep a close watch on your oil consumption. Use the correct oil in the engine.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, the basic MMI system has a host of features and controls functionality around the car. Try to spend some time sifting thru the various menus. You will want to understand what it (you) can do.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

Congrats on the Q5!

I must ask if you researched the 2011, 2.0T Q5 problem areas? How many miles on it?

The 2011, 2.0T is very prone to oil burning (may need new rings, pistons, and possibly an engine block).

It also needs the latest version timing chain tensioner as the previous versions are known to fail, causing the valves to hit the pistons (about a $7K repair at the dealer).
Old 10-31-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

wow got some bad news... I think I may have bought the car from a car flipper... I drove it around the first day I got it (around 45 miles) no problem, car drove like a dream.. i parked it and the next day I come out and the car has a low coolant light. I pop the hood and the coolant tank is near empty. I see some wet residue at the bottom of the car.. I just had the car towed into my mechanic today and he's going to check it out.. please keep your fingers crossed for me that its just a hose.

Bob- Thanks for the comment, I did read about some of those issues but nothing as bad as what you described. I relayed your information to my mechanic for him to check while he's in there today, hopefully it's good news and I can take care of all the items at once and enjoy the car!

on the plus side I figured out how to get the trunk to open with the handle lol
Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by KwlAznKid
wow got some bad news... I think I may have bought the car from a car flipper... I drove it around the first day I got it (around 45 miles) no problem, car drove like a dream.. i parked it and the next day I come out and the car has a low coolant light. I pop the hood and the coolant tank is near empty. I see some wet residue at the bottom of the car.. I just had the car towed into my mechanic today and he's going to check it out.. please keep your fingers crossed for me that its just a hose.

Bob- Thanks for the comment, I did read about some of those issues but nothing as bad as what you described. I relayed your information to my mechanic for him to check while he's in there today, hopefully it's good news and I can take care of all the items at once and enjoy the car!

on the plus side I figured out how to get the trunk to open with the handle lol
You need to remove the timing chain cover (quite some work involved) to check the tesnioner revision part number. There are recalls/class action lawsuit repairs available to certain 2011 Q5, 2.0T's for the tensioner and oil consumption.. You should check with Audi of America with your VIN # to see if you are covered. You didn't state how many miles on the Q5? There are max mile restrictions on these free fixes. Not to scare you but if you do not have the latest tensioner that came out in 2012 you have a very high risk of the $7K repair bill coming up. Also watch your oil level closely if you burn a quart in a few hundred miles then you have a possibility of bad rings/pistons and maybe scored cylinder walls (new engine block required).

Read these posts...….

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...steps-2839060/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ement-2949699/

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 10-31-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You need to remove the timing chain cover (quite some work involved) to check the tesnioner revision part number. There are recalls/class action lawsuit repairs available to certain 2011 Q5, 2.0T's for the tensioner and oil consumption.. You should check with Audi of America with your VIN # to see if you are covered. You didn't state how many miles on the Q5? There are max mile restrictions on these free fixes. Not to scare you but if you do not have the latest tensioner that came out in 2012 you have a very high risk of the $7K repair bill coming up. Also watch your oil level closely if you burn a quart in a few hundred miles then you have a possibility of bad rings/pistons and maybe scored cylinder walls (new engine block required).

apologies I missed the part about miles, I have 123K on it and I did some research on the lawsuit you mentioned, doesn't look like I'm covered since I'm over the 80K millage limit. Is there a database where I can run my vin to see if my car had the recall done? On a happier note, I just heard back from my mehcanic and luckily it was a hose leak so I'm getting that taken care of. I will definitely keep an eye on the oil.

Quick Reply: Newbie here, please go easy on me, but got a ton of questions