Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

I'm so fed up with Auto Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I'm so fed up with Auto Start

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the upcoming rant.
I am so fed up and so sick of the Auto Start that I'm starting to lose it.
Why did Audi not allow users to select what mode that want and keep it that way.
I'm new to coding, I have not coded anything myself, but I think that I can figure it out.
Can someone point me in the right direction on which coder to buy? Or if anyone has a recommendation for a shop in Toronto area that does coding for these cars.

Also, my car did not come with Audi Driver's Assist Package - NO ACC, Lane Keep, and all that jazz.
However, when reverse parking, I do get warning from the car that there is cross traffic coming.
Also, in certain situations, the car will slam on the brakes. Like when backing up and approaching an object.
Can this be coded out as well?

Also, I've heard that people are very cautious about the warranty. If I code some things out, should my warranty still be active?

I feel that in another month, I'm going to wear out the Auto Start button.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Superfly_S5; 11-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello fellow Torontonian Buy a Carista Dongle on amazon for $26 and disable the auto start/stop (plus activate / de-activate some other goodies as well within the 1 month trial).

Re your other gripe, in 2.5+ years of owning the car I have had the car abruptly stop 3 or 4 times total due to the sensors seeing something that was not there. I believe you can disable it via MMI or at least make it less sensitive.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly_S5
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the upcoming rant.
I am so fed up and so sick of the Auto Start that I'm starting to lose it.
Why did Audi not allow users to select what mode that want and keep it that way.
I'm new to coding, I have not coded anything myself, but I think that I can figure it out.
Can someone point me in the right direction on which coder to buy? Or if anyone has a recommendation for a shop in Toronto area that does coding for these cars.

Also, my car did not come with Audi Driver's Assist Package - NO ACC, Lane Keep, and all that jazz.
However, when reverse parking, I do get warning from the car that there is cross traffic coming.
Also, in certain situations, the car will slam on the brakes. Like when backing up and approaching an object.
Can this be coded out as well?

Also, I've heard that people are very cautious about the warranty. If I code some things out, should my warranty still be active?

I feel that in another month, I'm going to wear out the Auto Start button.

Thanks in advance
Do you mean the Start/Stop functionality? I always disable it after pressing the Engine Start button.

For the cross-traffic, it's a pita and I need to disable it (by turning off the rear camera) every time I back out my driveway.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific
Hello fellow Torontonian Buy a Carista Dongle on amazon for $26 and disable the auto start/stop (plus activate / de-activate some other goodies as well within the 1 month trial).

Re your other gripe, in 2.5+ years of owning the car I have had the car abruptly stop 3 or 4 times total due to the sensors seeing something that was not there. I believe you can disable it via MMI or at least make it less sensitive.

Good luck!
Thanks s5ecific.
this one?
is this what you did to yours?
which part of TO?

also, what about warranty? Will coding void anything?

for the last 2months of ownership, my car slammed on the brakes at least 5 times. But I reverse park all the time

Last edited by Superfly_S5; 11-01-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Turning off stability control will disable rear cross-traffic alert. I do that every time I back into my garage. To turn off, hold down the ESC button for 5 seconds.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks s5ecific.
this one?
is this what you did to yours?
which part of TO?

also, what about warranty? Will coding void anything?

for the last 2months of ownership, my car slammed on the brakes at least 5 times. But I reverse park all the time
You might also want to consider an OBDEleven device. Both can do coding changes but there are some other Pros and Cons for each device that you might want to look into to pick the one that might best fit your long term goals with your car. The biggest con for me with the Carista is that you have to pay on going subscriptions (monthly and yearly if I remember correctly) if you want to do things outside your 1 month free trial. With the OBDEleven you can earn free credits (6 per day) that you can use to pay for their one-click coding "apps" or you can go Pro and do all the coding manually (which is pretty easy) for free There is a large thread in this forum of all the coding changes you can do manually (see my signature). It is a little more expensive but no on-going subscriptions.

https://obdeleven.com/en/
Old 11-02-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by s5ecific

Good luck!
I bought an OBDEleven and that’s worked well. The only way I’ve seen to disable the auto start/stop is to trick the system into not activating with a setting that mimics the a/c on max which then tells the engine not to auto stop (something along those lines). It works fine but seems like a workaround.

Question on the Carissa - can you just deactivate the Start/Stop or so you have to ‘trick’ it into not activating like with the OBDEleven?

There are a ton of threads on both of these options if you do a search. Talks about a lot of the programming you can do (mostly super easy) and people’s experience and opinions about potential warranty effects.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank heymoe,

obdeleven seems to be out of stock for the ultimate pack.
can this be used with iphone app or with laptop?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Warranty is arguable...but Audi has to show

that you buggered something. Simply disabling auto stop/start can’t void warranty..in fact it will increase life of starter (unless audi put in a coaxial 40hp starter generator in which case it’s probably irrelevant) but for argument sake suppose an overheat situation won’t stop the engine if the auto stop/start has been coded out...something like that could void your warranty if the engine had other issues that your coding affected.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank heymoe,

obdeleven seems to be out of stock for the ultimate pack.
can this be used with iphone app or with laptop?
Here is a link to the iOS capable version at ECS Tuning, but it is out of stock
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-obdeleve...4871obd02~obd/

Quick Reply: I'm so fed up with Auto Start