A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

**HELP NEEDED**

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default **HELP NEEDED**

So first off I admit this is a strange problem, but I need help desperately. My wedding ring fell off my finger and went behind the steering wheel base.To the best of my description, it fell behind the leather piece behind the steering wheel. I tried to reach for it, but ended up pushing it further in. This is going to be impossible to explain to my wife cuz she's not gonna try to hear this ****. So i need HELP!! The ring is tungsten so it's not magnetic, which was my first thought on how to get it out. So is there any diagrams anywhere that show how how i can remove that steering wheel cover and get my ring back? Any help/ideas are much appreciated!!
Old 11-04-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Get to dealer on your lunch and your wife will never know....
Good luck!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recall the space/gap that you are working with, but if I were you I would try to find some copper cable and bend it like a hook. Or try a ziptie with 3M doubleside tape. Or bend the ziptie.

If everything fails, just propose to the Audi.
The following users liked this post:
Flyguy31 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zenkistic
I don't recall the space/gap that you are working with, but if I were you I would try to find some copper cable and bend it like a hook. Or try a ziptie with 3M doubleside tape. Or bend the ziptie.

If everything fails, just propose to the Audi.
Not exactly sure where you're describing. The area where the steering shaft goes from the steering wheel into the dash? If it's that you may get lucky and be able to remove the oddly shaped plastic piece under the steering wheel, in front of your knees. It's just a couple of torque screws and two bolts, I think. Pulling it off is a bit tricky but totally doable. It's possible it fell down in there. I found 26 cents worth of change when I took mine off.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM
scutustudios.com

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Haha, for sure wife would not buy that!
A photo with the space/gap where your ring felt in would be helpful to easy describe the location...
Definitely the dealer would be the best to address this issue especially if you don't have any trim removal tool or any other tool set to do the job in opening the plastic covers.
I'll take this issue more seriously since that ring can cause some other problems in there like short circuits (if any open contacts) or even worst...

How to remove steering wheel (A7 demo):

Probably you tried this already:

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
keironf (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scutu Mix
Haha, for sure wife would not buy that!
A photo with the space/gap where your ring felt in would be helpful to easy describe the location...
Definitely the dealer would be the best to address this issue especially if you don't have any trim removal tool or any other tool set to do the job in opening the plastic covers.
I'll take this issue more seriously since that ring can cause some other problems in there like short circuits (if any open contacts) or even worst...

How to remove steering wheel (A7 demo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazD2SnXmZg

Probably you tried this already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQfhlW_53E

Good luck!
Thanks for this. I tried and tried to get it off but no luck. I had to bring into a dealership, took them a while but they finally got it out.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM
scutustudios.com

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by keironf
Thanks for this. I tried and tried to get it off but no luck. I had to bring into a dealership, took them a while but they finally got it out.
No worries, happy to help!
How much they charged you?
Did you told your wife in the end? ))