A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)

After nearly a year of research and deliberation, I have installed exhaust cutouts on my 2014 Audi S8.

I have just published a comprehensive video review of the installation and have created lots of standardized audio clips (i.e., 25%, 50%, 100% throttle; cutouts both closed and open; from bumper, interior, and drive-bys). I created the video to fill what was a gap in the available information when I was trying to figure out what in the hell I wanted to do with my exhaust system. For those who may be considering cutouts, you ARE NOT WRONG!

Want your exhaust loud and rowdy, push one of your HomeLink buttons. Want it zipped up and distinguished, push another of your HomeLink buttons (yes, I programmed the cutouts to the HomeLink garage door openers).

Check them out! BTW, there are bookmarks in the video description that will allow you to jump to specific sections.

The following 4 users liked this post by healthnut76:
09S5 (04-11-2021), audivafan (05-30-2021), Eyvind Mondragon (03-04-2020), virtualrc (03-02-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and that has to be one of the best first post ever on AudiWorld.

The sound is fantastic (inside and outside), and the install is very clean. I also like the fact you used a national chain, not a European/Specialty shop, to do the work. I will be interested to see how the inside of your rear tires fair over the next two years, with the hot exhaust blowing in their direction when the exhaust is open.

Good luck, and thanks for posting.

Last edited by 2001 S8; 03-03-2020 at 05:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
healthnut76 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice post!
I was thinking of this very thing, but for my beemer, that I'm restoring.

But this would be awesome for my A8D4.

Could you please post a list of parts and where you bought them?
Also, how did you program your garage buttons to actuate this thing.

Good work!
healthnut76 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
Very nice post!
I was thinking of this very thing, but for my beemer, that I'm restoring.

But this would be awesome for my A8D4.

Could you please post a list of parts and where you bought them?
Also, how did you program your garage buttons to actuate this thing.

Good work!
Hi Eyvind,
Certainly. I did post the parts in the YouTube video, but will repost them here:Clearly, I bought mine from Summit, but certainly shop around for the best price. As for programming the garage door, you would just follow the normal instructions provided via MMI (i.e., press the button you want to program while holding the remote under the driver headlight). Took less than 60 seconds to program both the open and close buttons; you'll clearly need to use 2 of your HomeLink buttons.
09S5 (06-23-2021)
Old 03-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for posting. Looks like you may also have an APR badge on the trunk deck. What other modifications do you have on your ride. I heard you mention the x-pipe and resonator deletes in the video. Also, you note in the video that you've done something to the stock exhaust valves, like keeping them open full time. Did you zip tie them like what I've seen on a D3? What do you think has been the result of relieving all the back pressure on the exhaust system?
Old 03-04-2020, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by virtualrc
Thanks for posting. Looks like you may also have an APR badge on the trunk deck. What other modifications do you have on your ride. I heard you mention the x-pipe and resonator deletes in the video. Also, you note in the video that you've done something to the stock exhaust valves, like keeping them open full time. Did you zip tie them like what I've seen on a D3? What do you think has been the result of relieving all the back pressure on the exhaust system?
Yeah, so it is APR Stage 1. Other than aesthetic mods, the only other mods are to the exhaust system. As for the mufflers, I unplugged the valves, which effectively keeps them open all the time. I then zip-tied the wires to keep them from dangling and off anything that might get hot. I also put some small pieces of foam insulation inside the female ends of the valve connectors to keep trash and grime out of them. That's the intention anyway. There are details in the YouTube video description, some of which I may have forgotten here.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

thank you!
I found some cutouts on Amazon, but probably are not made of good SS.
I see how you made the remote activation, pretty clever.
I'll try to find some insulating pad with aluminum. Probably from a junk yard or something. To keep the cut-out exhaust from heating too much staff around them.
I see you made a bent of the exhaust tip to point downwards.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! I've been considering cutouts for some time now.
How many labor hours did they charge you for installation?
healthnut76 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eyvind Mondragon
thank you!
I found some cutouts on Amazon, but probably are not made of good SS.
I see how you made the remote activation, pretty clever.
I'll try to find some insulating pad with aluminum. Probably from a junk yard or something. To keep the cut-out exhaust from heating too much staff around them.
I see you made a bent of the exhaust tip to point downwards.
The downturn pipe comes with the Granatelli cutouts. I would definitely purchase high-quality cutouts.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mdjdc
Nice! I've been considering cutouts for some time now.
How many labor hours did they charge you for installation?
It was $500 for labor. It took them about 6-8 hours, probably, in total. However, a good bit of that was figuring out the install, so you may save some by going in with a clearer plan.
mdjdc (03-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cutouts - Comprehensive Review & Sound Comparison (D4 S8)