A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Faint popping/static noises from the sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Faint popping/static noises from the sound system

I have a 2021 S7 and will be posting this thread in the A6 section as well, asking to see if there are others who have heard similar faint static/popping noises from the sound system? It sounds like very tiny little debris hitting the windshield and I would be hearing the noises regardless of the source of the music (FM/Spotify/XM). I have the B&O 3D.

The sound is not constant and happens very randomly. Sometimes it would happen multiple times within a song, or never at all. Anyone else heard the same?
Old 12-08-2020, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice congratulations. That doesn’t sound right. It should sound amazing. I have found speaker issues purchased from the dealer and they have done a good job to replace it and fix it. You just need to reproduce it for them to hear.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think it's an speaker issue. The noise could be heard either from the front or rear speakers, left or right. The static/clicking noises are very random and hard to reproduce. I believe it maybe an MMI software issue and some have even heard a popping noise going into reverse, as I have heard before once or twice.

Originally Posted by Steve0913
Nice congratulations. That doesn’t sound right. It should sound amazing. I have found speaker issues purchased from the dealer and they have done a good job to replace it and fix it. You just need to reproduce it for them to hear.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I have this issue on ‘19 Q8 Prestige with the B&O system that comes with the Prestige package (not the 5k system). However it only seems to happen on wireless Carplay streaming audio. I don’t hear it on other sources or even when my phone is plugged in. It’s intermittent I will try to monitor it further.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am noticing it outside the Carplay. The popping/static noise is not proportional to the loudness of the music, and that can be from FM/XM/Spotify... It's very intermittent and unless you are listening hard for it while the car is stationary, you may not hear it...

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I have this issue on ‘19 Q8 Prestige with the B&O system that comes with the Prestige package (not the 5k system). However it only seems to happen on wireless Carplay streaming audio. I don’t hear it on other sources or even when my phone is plugged in. It’s intermittent I will try to monitor it further.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I replied to your thread on the other forum that I did have the static noise in my 2021 SQ7 some time ago. Since then, I solved the problem. The noise sounded very similar to the static one and was impossible to reproduce when stationary, but I noticed it was coming from the sunroof directly above my head when driving on uneven surface. The dealer removed the glass panels, fixed the sunroof frame, added some felt material and reinstalled the glass. The noise is gone.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The noise that I am hearing is definitely from the speakers, more obvious when the car is stationary and the music turned down....

Originally Posted by LeoB
I replied to your thread on the other forum that I did have the static noise in my 2021 SQ7 some time ago. Since then, I solved the problem. The noise sounded very similar to the static one and was impossible to reproduce when stationary, but I noticed it was coming from the sunroof directly above my head when driving on uneven surface. The dealer removed the glass panels, fixed the sunroof frame, added some felt material and reinstalled the glass. The noise is gone.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to be so late, but I have a new 2021 S5 with the exact same problem.

I had trouble diagnosing it at first because it sounded like it could be interior pieces creaking from vibration or thermal expansion, but while there is creaking, there is also absolutely 100% an issue with the MMI system and speakers.

It occurs on any audio source, is not reliably reproducible, and is most noticeable for me during podcast type content or general light sounds (assuming it’s just easier to hear over the music).

Driving me crazy. Ever figure anything out?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I brought my S7 to the dealer and they tried resetting the module using their computer but it still didn't work. Not sure if it's a software or hardware issue right now...

Originally Posted by Patriotsfan82
Hate to be so late, but I have a new 2021 S5 with the exact same problem.

I had trouble diagnosing it at first because it sounded like it could be interior pieces creaking from vibration or thermal expansion, but while there is creaking, there is also absolutely 100% an issue with the MMI system and speakers.

It occurs on any audio source, is not reliably reproducible, and is most noticeable for me during podcast type content or general light sounds (assuming it’s just easier to hear over the music).

Driving me crazy. Ever figure anything out?
Old 06-26-2021, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have any luck with this? Experiencing this same thing on my new 2021 A6 Allroad.

Hear it most listening to podcasts and on calls. CarPlay or no CarPlay.

driving me insane.

Quick Reply: Faint popping/static noises from the sound system