Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Electric System Malfunction

So today I received an error “Electric System Malfunction” message on the dash. Drone fine for the 5 minutes left in my drive. I turn it off, come back in an hour and the light is still there. There was a check engine light up top and the battery light at the bottom. After about 5 minutes of driving, I get a random rear light error message. Then, I get a system malfunction message, so a red warning light is on. Starting to look like Christmas again lol. At this point I started heading to a local dealer. But I didn’t make it. I noticed odd things like the auto start/stop not enabled. Then the speed sign sensor wasnt working, the car didn’t have much power, like limp mode, then the lane departure went, then the traction control system went, then the transmission something went. Whole ****ing electrical sent went. It told me to pull over slowly. I felt and heard a loud clunk as well. Of course I’ve pulled over by now. Called a local dealer, explained the situation, then I called Audi roadside to pick up the car. Tried to turn on the car when the tow truck was there, but the lights were doing some weird stuff. It rolled my driver side window down ??? Wtf. Anyways, tow guy was very cool and got it up on the truck. It’s at the dealer and hope to hear from them in the morning.

I’ve looked into the messages and I’m thinking it’s related to the 48 volt hybrid system in these cars. I think it’s worthless that they would implement this kind of technology in these cars. So unnecessary and more gimmicky.

just wanted to share my experience with you guys and I’ll keep you updated.
The following 8 users liked this post by NJSRT:
hb1 (02-02-2023), imdakine1 (02-09-2021), mmtill (03-13-2023), Mohammed Abubakar (03-15-2023), Sativa High (06-12-2024), SoundsoftheSuburbs (03-17-2023), w2ge (03-18-2023), WST (11-01-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSRT
So today I received an error “Electric System Malfunction” message on the dash. Drone fine for the 5 minutes left in my drive. I turn it off, come back in an hour and the light is still there. There was a check engine light up top and the battery light at the bottom. After about 5 minutes of driving, I get a random rear light error message. Then, I get a system malfunction message, so a red warning light is on. Starting to look like Christmas again lol. At this point I started heading to a local dealer. But I didn’t make it. I noticed odd things like the auto start/stop not enabled. Then the speed sign sensor wasnt working, the car didn’t have much power, like limp mode, then the lane departure went, then the traction control system went, then the transmission something went. Whole ****ing electrical sent went. It told me to pull over slowly. I felt and heard a loud clunk as well. Of course I’ve pulled over by now. Called a local dealer, explained the situation, then I called Audi roadside to pick up the car. Tried to turn on the car when the tow truck was there, but the lights were doing some weird stuff. It rolled my driver side window down ??? Wtf. Anyways, tow guy was very cool and got it up on the truck. It’s at the dealer and hope to hear from them in the morning.

I’ve looked into the messages and I’m thinking it’s related to the 48 volt hybrid system in these cars. I think it’s worthless that they would implement this kind of technology in these cars. So unnecessary and more gimmicky.

What year and is it a model (Q8, SQ8, etc...)? Definitely keep us informed on what you learn.
The following users liked this post:
Sativa High (06-12-2024)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

2019 Q8.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJSRT:
imdakine1 (02-12-2021), powerspeeds (03-15-2023)
Old 02-12-2021, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Eager to hear what the outcome is. Please post once you have the car back.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

2019 Q8.
good luck, do provide us an update.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just an update, and I thought this was the issue, but it’s the 48volt generator. It actually drained my battery, so they charged it and had to order a new 48volt generator, or whatever you want to call that useless semi-hybrid system. When the issue came up, I did my own homework and it seems others have had this issue too. I’m not really concerned, just glad it happened now.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJSRT:
Charles Jacobina (10-29-2022), Sativa High (06-12-2024)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the same issue with my 2019 Q5, started just before the pandemic, with the auto brake engaging when backing a space with NOTHING around. Brought to the closed Audi dealer, told nothing wrong. Since the pandemic that and many other of the similar things (and more) listed below have occurred. Finally got into another dealer this am, only to be asked if I have emoji' si in my contacts as they can mess with system. And I am going tp be charged for the tech's time if its something "that stupid"???!!!!! Um where's the warning to audi owners that if you have emoji's in your contacts on your phones it will mess with the electrical system????!!!!!!!!!!! (if that's it). When I called Audi North America no one mentioned that as a possible issue. And we own various makes and models and NOT one has such an issue. Has anyone else been told this?? And if so - is Audi's electrical systems that bad that an emoji in a phone can mess with it???
The following users liked this post:
Charles Jacobina (10-25-2022)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got rid of the Q8. Was a real POS. Too much tech and not thought out well. I’ve owned so many Audis, and this was the only one that was problematic.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:53 AM
WST
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[2021 Q8 Prestige with towing and adaptive].
I had a similar experience which left my wife and I on the side of the highway for 10 hours over two days. The beat I could explain it was the car “lost it’s darn mind”. It would throw an amazing g and random array of errors and subsystem failures from for left front radar, to passenger air bag, to ACC, but ultimately it decided drive system error and went limp mode. This left me trapped in the middle of a bridge on an Interstate. Running ODBC I Shaw all sorts of communication errors like “implausible data on etherbuss 2”. Dealership assured me it just needed a software update and sent me back out on the road. Got 70 miles before I was on the side again. They are now telling me my trailer tongue weight was too much, but that is an unsatisfying explanation on why the car would so thoroughly freak out. I was not towing the second time it happened. Also, my trailer is well under the listed gross weight spec, although I can’t seem to find a tongue weight rating listed.

anyway, my issue is not resolved as dealership can’t recreate it on their time.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the exact same issue @NJSRT described on my ‘19 Q8. I was close to the dealer when the Electrical System Malfunction warning came on and I drove it straight in. Auto S/S and other systems were already failing by the time I got in. After 2-3 weeks in the shop I called AOA and requested a buyback. The dealer changed the battery, alternator, hybrid battery and couldn’t fix it. Finally changed the hybrid generator I believe it was and they fixed it. 29 days in the shop. I drove it for another couple months and AOA ended up approving the buyback.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 10-05-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction