A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

MMI Audio Clicks and Pops

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MMI Audio Clicks and Pops

Has anyone else experienced clicks and pops on all audio sources with the 2021 A6 MMI system? My '21 allroad was at the dealer for 2 weeks to repair this and 2 other MMI defects, but this issue persists. I was given a 2021 A6 sedan as a loaner and it had the same issue. On any audio source, whether or not the car is running, faint clicks and pops are audible from the speakers, it sounds like a scratched record (for those of us old enough to remember that sound). It's faint and intermittent but noticeable, annoying and clearly not right. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

That's an interesting one... Maybe a bad input line to the amp...? Definitely something the dealer will have to handle.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Turboale
That's an interesting one... Maybe a bad input line to the amp...? Definitely something the dealer will have to handle.
Dealer has taken it up with Audi and filed a "case" linked to my VIN. If any others have had this or similar issues it would be great to let Audi NA or your dealer know so that Audi will recognize it as a real issue. For now they do not have a fix.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed?

Originally Posted by cbm3
Dealer has taken it up with Audi and filed a "case" linked to my VIN. If any others have had this or similar issues it would be great to let Audi NA or your dealer know so that Audi will recognize it as a real issue. For now they do not have a fix.
Have they contacted you at all about this? I have a brand new A6 and have this same issue. Phone calls are full of clicks and pops. Music is the same unless you turn up the volume. Clicks and pops seem to be independent of the volume unless its muted. Between this and the constant dash pops from the plastic, moving from my A5 sportback was a bit of a downgrade i feel. Maybe not in tech, but in 0 issues and great sounding audio. Maybe an S5 sportback is the better option....
Old 06-15-2021, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by youngdelorean
Have they contacted you at all about this? I have a brand new A6 and have this same issue. Phone calls are full of clicks and pops. Music is the same unless you turn up the volume. Clicks and pops seem to be independent of the volume unless its muted. Between this and the constant dash pops from the plastic, moving from my A5 sportback was a bit of a downgrade i feel. Maybe not in tech, but in 0 issues and great sounding audio. Maybe an S5 sportback is the better option....
Zero follow up. Will need to check back again, but might call Audi of America directly. I sold the A6 Allroad and got an RS6 Avant, exactly the same problem. It it was the same in an A6 sedan I drove as a service loaner as well. Clearly an issue with the platform.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's very disappointing to hear. I'm currently raising a fit right now (in a professional manner i suppose, as its the only Audi dealer in 200 miles) about this and the constant cracking of the dash plastic when heating up/cooling down. I am very serious about trading this in and getting an S5 that's coming in, but I'm worried that the MIB3 version of MMI in the 2021 cars have the same issue in all platforms. Has anyone experienced this issue in the A4/A5 platform from 2021? I know the interior design of the dash should provide the same kind of experience as my 2018 A5 as far as noise and cracking, at least I hope it would. Audi here is supposed to be contacting their Audi USA reps to see what they can do. 500 miles on the car and can't stand to drive it. Might be nit picking, but for the cost of the car I expect a certain level of quality. Maybe its just me :|
Old 06-15-2021, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the sound of the plastic cracking or can you actually see it? Not that it matters, but I'm curious. Mine is set to 68F pretty much all the time, but don't know what you have your AC set at.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry, its the sound of it cracking and popping as the interior heats up and cools down, or going over bumps. I live in Missouri where it can be 98 one day at 67 the next, so there are a lot of constant fluctuations as the day goes along, also depending on the directly sunlight. Needless to say, it ruins the driving experience. I have my AC usually set at 70 or 72, depending on the day. I've heard a lot of people say the dealer will take the parts off and use felt tape on most every point of contact and that seems to help a lot, but doesn't seem like a permanent fix. From what I understand, the interior noises and such are only covered for 1 year when bought new. Not sure if that's true, but makes me awful nervous. We'll see what Audi says/does on both issues.
The following users liked this post:
Turboale (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default More Info

Fyi, for more info on the radio clicking and popping.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...3012090/page3/

Old 07-07-2021, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Where in Missouri?
We just moved to STL, totally get the temp changes. They have been serious lately. I haven't noticed any cracking in mine but I'll pay closer attention to it now. We are in a parking deck so there is a fair amount of body flex while leaving. If you don't have any luck with your dealer, there are multiple here and I have had great service so far. Nothing major but everyone in service seem to be on it and care. Not only that but they have a fleet of loaners ready to go, not like my last dealer that required an appt 2-4 weeks in advance to get a loaner.

Quick Reply: MMI Audio Clicks and Pops