Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 SQ5 Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2021 SQ5 Sport Exhaust

For those that ordered the port installed hot exhaust or bought it from Audi parts after delivery, any thoughts good or bad with purchase? Is there a difference in exhaust note at all as description says it intensifies engine sound but was a bit skeptical. thx..
Old 04-20-2021, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

I bet a local muffler shop can fabricate something for a lot less than $1200.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wertz999
For those that ordered the port installed hot exhaust or bought it from Audi parts after delivery, any thoughts good or bad with purchase? Is there a difference in exhaust note at all as description says it intensifies engine sound but was a bit skeptical. thx..
I ordered the Sport exhaust tips - car should be delivered in 4 weeks.

However, my dealer is saying this is Factory installed (even though it’s on the Port installed sheet).

Anyone else have info on *who installs?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Windsor
I ordered the Sport exhaust tips - car should be delivered in 4 weeks.

However, my dealer is saying this is Factory installed (even though it’s on the Port installed sheet).

Anyone else have info on *who installs?
It is definitely not factory installed, otherwise, it wouldn't be an accessory (it would just be a regular factory option).

Port installed means it is installed after the car leaves the factory. Audi install the exhaust (and all other port installed accessories like the beam ring light and all weather floor mats) at its regional distribution centers where the window stickers are generated. Port installed accessories get on the window sticker so it can be part of the residual if you lease.

If the dealer installs it, it is just retail accessories and it won't be on the window sticker. Which means you pay all of it out of pocket if you are leasing.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I ordered the “Hot Exhaust” and it appears on my order but not the build order as it will be port-installed along with the puddle lights and protection mats, etc. accessories. On YouTube TheStraightPipe guys out of Canada reviewed the SQ5 with the Hot Exhaust - which is how I confirmed that Audi did offer it in the 2021’s. You can listen to their review and then compare the sound to other 2021 SQ5 reviews with fake exhaust.

To me, it didn’t sound that much different but looks completely different as it is real exhaust that will eventually show soot stains.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemax
I ordered the “Hot Exhaust” and it appears on my order but not the build order as it will be port-installed along with the puddle lights and protection mats, etc. accessories. On YouTube TheStraightPipe guys out of Canada reviewed the SQ5 with the Hot Exhaust - which is how I confirmed that Audi did offer it in the 2021’s. You can listen to their review and then compare the sound to other 2021 SQ5 reviews with fake exhaust.

To me, it didn’t sound that much different but looks completely different as it is real exhaust that will eventually show soot stains.
Reading the description on the Audi parts site, seems life the mufflers are replaced. Any intel on whether they are truly different mufflers? Seems like they would have a throatier sound, if so. I have a 2018 SQ5 and there are a few things that bothered me about it that they fixed in 2021. So, I just put a deposit down on a 2021 SQ5 and am trying to decide if I should pony up for the sport exhaust or not. Feedback appreciated.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mustardpimp
Reading the description on the Audi parts site, seems life the mufflers are replaced. Any intel on whether they are truly different mufflers? Seems like they would have a throatier sound, if so. I have a 2018 SQ5 and there are a few things that bothered me about it that they fixed in 2021. So, I just put a deposit down on a 2021 SQ5 and am trying to decide if I should pony up for the sport exhaust or not. Feedback appreciated.
No, the mufflers are not replaced. The down-facing exhaust pipes are just trimmed and these are put on.

Here is a video of a guy installing them:

Last edited by Iain_B; 04-27-2021 at 08:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Iain_B:
bluemax (04-28-2021), JBN40301 (12-15-2021), patlevesque (03-01-2022), sQ5Atlanta (12-30-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain_B
No, the mufflers are not replaced. The down-facing exhaust pipes are just trimmed and these are put on.

Here is a video of a guy installing them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aw_...Cd-QcM&index=1
...Thanks! I just watched the video—appreciate the info. Any first hand experience about difference in the sound? I’m not handy enough to manage that install. How much is Audi charging for the parts and install? I see that some places have the hot tips discounted to $1k from $1250, which still seems crazy for some tips, but can’t blame them for making a buck.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mustardpimp
...Thanks! I just watched the video—appreciate the info. Any first hand experience about difference in the sound? I’m not handy enough to manage that install. How much is Audi charging for the parts and install? I see that some places have the hot tips discounted to $1k from $1250, which still seems crazy for some tips, but can’t blame them for making a buck.
It was hard ordering off the port install list at that price but went with it anyway. I'm also curious about the sound vs stock.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wertz999
It was hard ordering off the port install list at that price but went with it anyway. I'm also curious about the sound vs stock.
on YouTube search for J Piazza who posted 3 months ago a test of fake exhaust vs hot exhaust sounds, it gives a good idea of the difference.
The following users liked this post:
patlevesque (03-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 2021 SQ5 Sport Exhaust