A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DK: A4/A5 B9 pre-facelift taillight upgrade - GUIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Default DK: A4/A5 B9 pre-facelift taillight upgrade - GUIDE

So - time has come once again, that im going to give you guys some free tips and tricks. Remember, never pay too much for any work - if possible and you're comfortable with it, always do it yourself!

This time, it has come to the ECE high taillights for the B9.5 platform. The one also known as the dancing lights! Most people out there might find theese interesting or just like me think that they look way cooler than the standard ones with the dynamic turnsignals, which are available.

So, to starts things up, i currently still need one single package, to be able to start this retrofit, but as i already have a lot of the information needed to do this conversion, i thought i would share what i know so far.

So, as this is more like a introduction to this project, some of the wiring shown below, might not be correct. For example, i currently dont know whether the fog-lights and reversing lights work using normal signal, or work by the LIN-bus. Also i currently dont know exactle what the difference is between the new taillights LIN connection, and the old taillights pin 5 connection - most likely its just like on the A3 facelift, where suppying 12V to this terminal, just makes the sequential signaling work.

Wiring differences between pre- and post facelift ECE high taillights

So, as shown above, you can see the wiring differences from the old "high" taillight and the new ones. Also, here is a little explanation on my danish. Also note that whis wiring is for the A5

Byttes ved BCM: Make the re-wiring at the BCM
Korrekt: No changes needed for this pin
Stel: Earth connection
Baklys: Reverse light
Tågelys: Foglight
Kørelys: DRL
Blink: turn signal.

Another thing i see people out there being confused about, is the fact that the post-facelift and pre-facelift seem to not have the same BCM modules. Mine uses a 8W0 model, whereas the new one use a 8W1 model. As far as i can get, this does NOT need to be changed. Also as far as the coding goes, i currently dont know exactly what is required, but i guess setting new parameters with VCP, and programming in the welcome light in the BCM is needed.

I hope you guys are up for this, and maybe some of you actually can complete this exact retrofit, when im finished with mine, and you have more information. Please note that this wiring only applies to EU cars, so for US models, i currently know nothing.

Last edited by vaglab; 07-06-2021 at 04:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vaglab:
danshonin (07-06-2021), Sorted (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! Thank you so much for sharing. I am very interested in this project as I am planning to do the same.
Just to be sure that we're on the same page.
You're planning to change from LED Matrix VFL (left) to LED Matrix FL (right)

The following users liked this post:
danshonin (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Correct - Only my little experiment here is on the A5 and not the A4, but the wiring should be almost the same. Im gonna recieve the one missing package today.
Sorted (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

So - the inner lights finally came today. I can see some small modifications needed in the wiring table above.

stay tuned - Will probably try to fix in tomorrow or friday - now, we first need to beat England at Wembley - For Christian!
BLA4CKLA (10-16-2021), Sorted (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Appreciate the feedback!
​​​​Looking forward
And good luck in the game!
Old 07-07-2021, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, here comes my small notes on the wiring differences:

The taillights exist in two different versions(Basis and High), and of course in different versions also for ECE and US.

For my project, i am using the High variant, as it is the only one with animation, i think both have the sequential turnsignal. At least anyone here in Denmark has it, and i dont think all vehicles has the High version.
The main difference, is that the High version uses a LIN bus to control certain feature, for example the animation, the rear foglights and the reverse lights are controlled through this - How can i be sure? Well the pins are physically missing on the inner lights.

The basis version on the other hand, has no lin bus, so if you want to retrofit thoose, you will actually have to pin the last two wires. For me this is no big deal, as these wires actually dont change, from the old to the new taillights, so i probably will just let them sit there anyway. Also another note to take is, that on the BCM2 on pin T32C/5, where the LIN bus is present, there will probably already be a wire there, going to your tailgate control module, for the powered tailgate, so here you will have to solder a little - Otherwise the wiring is a simple repin project. The new updated Wiring diagram is here:

So again, here is a little translation:

Stel: Ground
Kørelys: DRL
Bremselys: brakelight
Blink: turn signal
Tågelys: foglights
Baklys: reversing lights
Begge: Used on both versions (Basis and High)
Kun ved high: Only used for high variant
Kun ved basis: Only used with basis variant
Verificeret: No changes needed here

The partnumbers for the A5 is the following 4:
8W6945091AA
8W6945092AA
8W6945093AA
8W6945094AA
Andrew C. (11-09-2021), Sorted (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And again. Thank you!

A few questions:
1) So now with this post mentioned below you have been successful? Would you mind sharing a video?
2) MX3-MX6 are supposed to be the 4 tail light elements? Can you tell me which belongs to which? (left to right?)
3) Would you mind sharing the excel? Then i could translate it directly without having the risk of a typo
4) And finally, no need to exchange BCM, right?

Excellent work!

Best Regards
Sorted
Old 07-08-2021, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sorted
And again. Thank you!

A few questions:
1) So now with this post mentioned below you have been successful? Would you mind sharing a video?
2) MX3-MX6 are supposed to be the 4 tail light elements? Can you tell me which belongs to which? (left to right?)
3) Would you mind sharing the excel? Then i could translate it directly without having the risk of a typo
4) And finally, no need to exchange BCM, right?

Excellent work!

Best Regards
Sorted

Hello!

No, have not succeded yet, but will give it a try in a couple of hours, and post a video too.

The MX3 to MX6 describes from outer left to outer right lights

No the BCM should not need a change, but i currently cant tell, before i have tried - Give me a couple of hours
Sorted (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 734 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by vaglab
Correct - Only my little experiment here is on the A5 and not the A4, but the wiring should be almost the same. Im gonna recieve the one missing package today.
Wouldn't it have been better to post this project in the A5 thread?
Old 07-08-2021, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday Got a late Night.

almost Got everything working, exept backup, foglight and sequential turnsigal.

i suspect a Lin bus problem being the cause of this.
danshonin (07-09-2021), Sorted (07-08-2021)

Quick Reply: DK: A4/A5 B9 pre-facelift taillight upgrade - GUIDE