Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 TDI: Is This Oil Leak Grounds for Warranty Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 TDI: Is This Oil Leak Grounds for Warranty Repair?

While starting to perform my first oil chance (61k miles) I observed some oil saturation at the low point of engine block / bellhousing mate surface. As, like most, i wouldn't risk losing opportunity to replace rear main or any other repair causing source of leak under warranty.

So I have to ask the question to the dieselgate warrantt experts... and greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

rarely see this on the 1st gen TDI's but the 2nd gen TDI"s been getting new rear main seals and upper oil pan leaks fixed left and right under the extended emissions warranty.
The following users liked this post:
drjonez (08-19-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
rarely see this on the 1st gen TDI's but the 2nd gen TDI"s been getting new rear main seals and upper oil pan leaks fixed left and right under the extended emissions warranty.
What is being considered a 2nd generation TDI. In the US, my understanding is 4Ms don't come in TDI. So just want to clarify. My car is a 2012.

Does this leak seem indicative of rear main seal leak? I should also note that i don't see any drips, just that the meal surface is saturated on oil. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

not the Q7 platform, that goes by MK1 & MK2, the 3.0L TDI platform.. 1st gen TDI is everything up to 2012, 2nd gen TDI is 2013 til the end of the MK1 Q7..

2nd Gen TDI that I have was physically shorter/lighter, had a single timing chain instead of two, came with a bigger turbo that made more power and better fuel economy.. they changed things on it quite a bit, and it actually got a TSB for a leaky rear main and/or upper oil pan it was so common.

The 1st gen would be covered too AFIK, if the problem is the same..
Old 08-16-2021, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The 1st gen would be covered too AFIK, if the problem is the same..
Thank you. I will start to talk with my dealer. I'll report back with my experience.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Odelay17
Thank you. I will start to talk with my dealer. I'll report back with my experience.

I had a couple of spots in the driveway and dropped it at the dealer fully confident with their warning that I was on the hook for $175 fee to diagnose. Rear main seal like all the rest of us. Joy.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the rear main seal leak, timing chain cover leaks and the upper crankcase leaks (2X). My engine has been out 4X total all covered by Audi thankfully even though I had no warranty (covered as mgfr defects). Well the dealer was on the hook for the last 2 times anyway since they apparently didn't perform the repairs properly. Last time they changed the chain and all the guides while they were in there which was fantastic. I knew it should be done but didn't want to push my luck and to my surprise they did it anyway. Long story short these motors tend to develop a lot of leaks as they age but like others have mentioned I wouldn't do any of this of it wasn't covered for free and just add oil then get rid of the car.
Built4Sin (08-17-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Following up on experience. I did not get any warranty work done, but I also was not charged anything.

They said they wiped the area clean, but could not get the leak to reproduce. They kept the car for two days, but didn't explain that they would do that. It makes sense, i get it, i was just surprised because nobody even called to explain what the plan was. I even called a few times and never got any promised return calls... but that's irrelevant anyways, just an odd service experience.

Anyways, they said over the course of the two days, and running the car, the leak could not be reproduced. They said in the event i find evidence of it leaking again, they would likely be able to move forward. Fair enough. It's logged now that I have taken it in, so I feel it was a good move on my part. That way i can reference the prior service as evidence of persistent oil leak.
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (08-20-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Odelay17;25622187]Following up on experience. I did not get any warranty work done, but I also was not charged anything.

They said they wiped the area clean, but could not get the leak to reproduce. They kept the car for two days, but didn't explain that they would do that. It makes sense, i get it, i was just surprised because nobody even called to explain what the plan was. I even called a few times and never got any promised return calls... but that's irrelevant anyways, just an odd service experience.

Anyways, they said over the course of the two days, and running the car, the leak could not be reproduced. They said in the event i find evidence of it leaking again, they would likely be able to move forward. Fair enough. It's logged now that I have taken it in, so I feel it was a good move on my part. That way i can reference the prior service as evidence of persistent oil leak.[
/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and climb under there and remove the belly pan covers to look for evidence of oil. The inside of the cover is like a sponge and a slow leak will take a long time to safurate it before you see it leaking underneath. You will find any evidence of leaks in here if there are any very easily trust me. Audi should have done this and more (dye, etc.) but do you really want to take their word after they didn't keep you in the loop on the plan for diagnosing the leak(s)?
Old 10-01-2021, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm taking my 2013 tdi in tomorrow. Got 116k miles but I'm covered from the extended warranty until 122k. You think there's any way they can deny the service if it's obvious it's leaking?

Quick Reply: 2012 TDI: Is This Oil Leak Grounds for Warranty Repair?