A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating 2020 a8 60

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overheating 2020 a8 60

In the last three months had to be towed in three times for overheating. Warning to shut the engine off "cooling system malfunction". Sometimes intermittent. During episodes radiator is cool, fans running like crazy. First time dealer thought it was sensor controlling flow to radiator, not necessarily thermostat per se, but they found water pump leak fouling the sensor when they went to change the sensor. Next time they felt it was a coolant reservoir sensor problem and they replaced the coolant reservoir. Currently in the shop again and this time they've been advised by Audi technical consultant to "re-pin " a sensor connection. ( may be a hardware wiring issue?) It is a 4 L 2020 model with 24,000 miles. I love it when it's working. It is it has been about eight weeks in the last three months in the shop. The good part is the dealer is doing an excellent job of providing loaners. What are your thoughts about this?
Old 11-27-2021, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Could be the water pump coolant leak repair was the first domino in the chain—in that they didn’t properly refill/bleed the coolant system after initially replacing the water pump as discussed in the attached TSB. The TSB also mentions checking/cleaning the sensor pin connection which is what Audi Technical Support is now suggesting. I personally wouldn’t sweat it— more than likely, they’ll get this corrected now that they have the tech support unit working with your service folks. Let us know how it goes, since the TSB is applicable to both V8 and V6 engines for all D5 model years.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10198643-0001.pdf (299.5 KB, 139 views)
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (11-28-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Overheating

[my apologies for not knowing how old is posting system works.. This is the fourth time vehicle had to be towed to dealer for intermittent overheating, same problem of radiator not getting water to it. Current thinking is that replacement thermostat may have been bad. Also. Dealer says on another occasion they had to replace a thermostat four times on a R8 before they got a working thermostat. We’ll see about this time.
They did the cite the technical service bulletin about the proper bleeding etc. that derfan mentioned in their recent work.

in a little different vein, I told them I was getting discouraged and losing losing confidence in my current vehicle, the 2029 a8 , and they said they would ask audi about a “trade assistance value.. When I looked up The value ofmy vehicle on Edmonds , The result was the same as what the dealer said they would give me for a trade-in. (I absolutely love my vehicle , But would not mind a little change). I am asking you guys for some advice. As it stands now Audi is offering a certain amount of” trade assistance “
and there would be another $10,000 rebate. I will soon tell you what the “trade assistance quote is but I would appreciate your giving me a estimate of what the amount of the trade assistance would be, so you can tell me an unbiased answer After your estimate, if you don’t mind.

Last edited by Prolific2; 12-07-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Prolific2
[my apologies for not knowing how old is posting system works.. This is the fourth time vehicle had to be towed to dealer for intermittent overheating, same problem of radiator not getting water to it. Current thinking is that replacement thermostat may have been bad. Also. Dealer says on another occasion they had to replace a thermostat four times on a R8 before they got a working thermostat. We’ll see about this time.
They did the cite the technical service bulletin about the proper bleeding etc. that derfan mentioned in their recent work.

in a little different vein, I told them I was getting discouraged and losing losing confidence in my current vehicle, the 2029 a8 , and they said they would ask audi about a “trade assistance value.. When I looked up The value ofmy vehicle on Edmonds , The result was the same as what the dealer said they would give me for a trade-in. (I absolutely love my vehicle , But would not mind a little change). I am asking you guys for some advice. As it stands now Audi is offering a certain amount of” trade assistance “
and there would be another $10,000 rebate. I will soon tell you what the “trade assistance quote is but I would appreciate your giving me a estimate of what the amount of the trade assistance would be, so you can tell me an unbiased answer After your estimate, if you don’t mind.
2029 A8?! I'm hella impressed
Old 12-09-2021, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you experts for reading this. My apologies because my vehicle is a 2020 8AL 60.
Audi is offering a $10,000 "Goodwill " benefit for any trade I do, supposedly anywhere.
Any opinions on that?
gdurhamski (12-12-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Prolific…

Since they’ve previously replaced the car’s coolant fluid pump, the attached TSB might be useful in your case. It was recently released and just showed up on the NHTSA website (Manufacturer Communications). You should ask your service advisor if they were aware of the additional procedure at time of the pump’s replacement.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10203589-0001.pdf (315.8 KB, 295 views)
Prolific2 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

DerFA8L, you’re the man. I will nail this down with them
Old 12-16-2021, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prolific2
DerFA8L, you’re the man. I will nail this down with them
Ha! I occasionally have my moments. Good luck.
MorganMay (02-15-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

a Little follow up: after spending many weeks in and out of the shop, and I believe after two water pump changes, and some other stuff, and still not able to find the cause for the intermittent overheating they have now ordered a new engine control unit.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Ha! I occasionally have my moments. Good luck.
More than occasionally, Derf!

Quick Reply: Overheating 2020 a8 60